> The Legend of Korra
Post #21
Paragon

Great Googly Moogly

Group: Members
Member No.: 612

post Apr 28 2012, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Apr 28 2012, 11:29 PM) *
And although I am a mite bit disappointed with how KorraxMako was hinted about as subtly as Fran Drescher's acting, at least it's better than the way the main couple was set up in TLA...

I think, and I don't remember where I heard this, that they were't planning on having alot of episodes originally, so they sorta rushed through some elements like romance. Which explains why it's moving abnormally fast.

I might be wrong, though. Seventeen year olds are also stupid sometimes.

--------------------
Index of Mocks

Mykan: Paragon part of me wnats to see you chained to the wall

Paragon: does the titan break wall maria
Mykan: Yes
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #22
xoxjoanxox

Break free.

Member No.: 384

post Apr 29 2012, 04:38 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of Avatar, so I only vaguely remember some parts of it. Haha, but I do remember the Fire Nation play. Hilarious stuff right there. And they did mention that Mako was sort of Zuko's spiritual successor, though Korra is NOTHING like Katara except design wisely.

And yeah, I heard it was supposed to be a mini-series but they picked up 14 more episodes or so.

Makorra. I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP.

--------------------

QUOTE (9/13/2013 3:49:17 PM Max-Vader:)
YOU KNOW NOTHING, JOAN SNOW

QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Feb 5 2014, 05:08 AM) *
I Was the Drink: The Joan Cheng Story

QUOTE (Screaming Soulcatcher)
Joan are you the straightest shota
+Quote Post
Post #23
Viashino_wizard

That's a Jimmybean!

Member No.: 222

post Apr 29 2012, 10:59 AM
Shippers will be summarily executed.

--------------------
QUOTE (TigerEyes)
Change is mandatory. It's progress that's optional.

"Stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things are very popular but I'm a fan of extraordinary people trying to do ordinary things"
-Kelly Turnbull
+Quote Post
Post #24
TigerEyes

City Hunter!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23

post Apr 29 2012, 11:11 AM
QUOTE (xoxjoanxox @ Apr 29 2012, 05:38 AM) *
And they did mention that Mako was sort of Zuko's spiritual successor, though Korra is NOTHING like Katara except design wisely.

Ha ha, I was just thinking the same thing. Mako (touching gesture to name him after Iroh's deceased voice actor, by the way) and Zuko are somewhat similar, but Korra and Katara? Pfffffffhahahahaha.

Anyway, watching this show is truly a test of patience. As in, "why isn't my husband home yet i wanna watch this so badly oh yay he's home now we can watch it together and oh man it's so good but now it's over and why is there only one new episode a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek...!" Excellent, excellent show, and I'm loving every minute of it so far. The characters, the setting (LOVE this!), the "historical" references to the previous show and characters (and I was prepared for most, if not all of the former characters to be dead, but to actually have them acknowledge it...! ;__;), the characters, the script, the animation, the acting, the fight scenes, the music, the CHARACTERS...! One of the best television shows I've ever seen. Period.

This post has been edited by TigerEyes: Apr 29 2012, 11:15 AM

--------------------
“All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”

- T.E. Lawrence.

"Know pain, no gain. No pain, know gain."
+Quote Post
Post #25
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

post Apr 29 2012, 11:23 AM
You watch it with your husband? That's pretty cool, not gonna lie.

Also, has anyone noticed Katara got whiter with old age?

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #26
Yaoi Huntress Earth

In the name of the moon
Group Icon

Member No.: 125

post Apr 29 2012, 05:11 PM
Damn, I got to watch this show. From what bits I've read, I couldn't help noticing a slight parallel between Zuko and Amon. Both being antagonists with high ranks in a fascist group (Fire Nation and Equalists) and receiving facial deformities by a firebender. Granted Zuko eventually switched sides, but it was something I noticed.

--------------------

Yes, I'm one of those.
+Quote Post
Post #27
xoxjoanxox

Break free.

post Apr 29 2012, 05:34 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Apr 29 2012, 03:23 PM) *

Also, has anyone noticed Katara got whiter with old age?

I... did not realize that.

And interesting idea, Yaoi. Haha, my friend and I were joking that it turned out that it's actually Zuko under the mask.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #28
TigerEyes

City Hunter!
Group Icon

Member No.: 23

post Apr 29 2012, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Apr 29 2012, 12:23 PM) *

Hee hee, yeah, it IS pretty nice. Generally, he actually prefers watching movies, since he likes the whole "self-contained story you can finish in one sitting" aspect of it, but we do watch this, along with One Piece, together every week. He didn't see the original Avatar series, which just goes to show how well this new show stands on its own. Love that.

QUOTE (Yaoi Huntress Earth @ Apr 29 2012, 06:11 PM) *
Damn, I got to watch this show. From what bits I've read, I couldn't help noticing a slight parallel between Zuko and Amon. Both being antagonists with high ranks in a fascist group (Fire Nation and Equalists) and receiving facial deformities by a firebender. Granted Zuko eventually switched sides, but it was something I noticed.

Huh, that IS a pretty interesting comparison... Amon seems like "the big bad" though, so don't really think he'll end up switching sides. Who knows, though. But either way, it'll be interesting to learn more about his character as the series progresses.

This post has been edited by TigerEyes: Apr 29 2012, 05:42 PM

--------------------
“All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”

- T.E. Lawrence.

"Know pain, no gain. No pain, know gain."
+Quote Post
Post #29
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Apr 29 2012, 06:02 PM
I'll bet money there's a secret agenda to Amon's actions and his sob story and revolutionary schtick is a front for some deeper, more insidious goal.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #30
xoxjoanxox

Break free.

post Apr 29 2012, 06:29 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Apr 29 2012, 10:02 PM) *
I'll bet money there's a secret agenda to Amon's actions and his sob story and revolutionary schtick is a front for some deeper, more insidious goal.

Probably is.

It's interesting that they introduce the main villain so early on (I don't remember the Fire Lord getting a lot of screen time) and they make him seem like an anti-villain, but you just can't shake off the feeling that something is wrong. I feel as if he's not going to backtrack; he knows exactly what path he wants to take.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #31
Zana

Whoops

Member No.: 496

post May 4 2012, 11:02 PM
He's probably not just hiding a scar under that mask. But that's pretty obvious, I think. From that mini-flashback thing Korra had, I'm assuming he's someone who knew Aang.

So, where can I watch this online where the quality isn't crap? They got full episodes up on Nick's site, but it flickers between decent quality and shit while I'm watching it, even when it's not full screen. >>; The way my schedule is, I can hardly ever catch anything on TV anymore.

--------------------
Grammar is the difference between "knowing your shit" and "knowing you're shit."
+Quote Post
Post #32
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post May 5 2012, 03:04 AM
I noticed this was available on demand earlier in the week, so I checked out the first three episodes over the course of a few nights. So far, I'm impressed. The show has a slightly more mature feel to it than Avatar did, which was a nice surprise for me since I was sort of expecting them to go in the opposite direction. The script being so frank about addressing most of the original characters being dead was a gutsy move given their target audience, so props to the writers for that. The world in which the story takes place has also evolved nicely—I like the parallels to 20s and 30s technology and culture, including the grainy "news reel" footage and the old-timey announcer used for the previous episode recaps.

Korra is shaping up to be a great protagonist, and Amon is suitably sinister and imposing for the villain. Mako feels a little flat and too Zuko-esque right now, but I'll give them more time to develop his character before I decide whether I like him or not. Bolin should make a great comic relief character as long as they're careful not to make him too naive and bumbling.

One of my favorite things about the increased budget is its impact on the quality of the battle scenes. Avatar was no slouch in that area, but holy shit, the fight between Korra/Mako and the Equalist martial artists in episode three was amazing. It's been a long time since I've seen fight choreography that good in any piece of animation. Time to step up your game there, Japan.

--------------------

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #33
xoxjoanxox

Break free.

post May 5 2012, 02:37 PM
Oh my God, that new episode.

The romance developed way too fast. Like... what Korra? Whaaaat? You just don't rush in like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #34
JakAttack

A man of questionable intelligence

Member No.: 412

post May 5 2012, 03:48 PM
I think that as of right now, they're trying to pump out as much information as possible so they can slow it down a little in later episodes, like how they established Aang's backstory only a few episodes in. Frankly, I'm actually kind of happy that they're dropping all pretenses and saying "You know what? Here's your love quadrangle." At least they aren't spending 50-ought episodes building up to establish what everyone already knew.

Side note; Anyone else notice that the four benders in the beginning are the previous Avatars? Kioshi, Roku, Aang, and Korra? Neat little wink at the continuity.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #35
Yaoi Huntress Earth

In the name of the moon
Group Icon

Member No.: 125

post May 5 2012, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ May 5 2012, 06:04 AM) *
The script being so frank about addressing most of the original characters being dead was a gutsy move given their target audience, so props to the writers for that.

It was a great idea though it would've been cool to see an elderly Azula planning some horrid revenge in her cell through manipulated orderlies.

--------------------

Yes, I'm one of those.
+Quote Post
Post #36
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post May 6 2012, 11:05 AM
I decided to look up a bit on tvtropes for the show and watched the fourth episode.
I have to admit, I really like Korra. And Steve Blum as Amon also sounds really good. He really puts a lot of his Starscream voice also in this I think.
But damn, the end with Korra frightened out of her mind after that moment of villainous, but well writen gloating was pretty neat.
thanks for suggesting it.

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post
Post #37
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post May 6 2012, 11:09 PM
Already, Amon is shaping up to be a way more badass main antagonist than Ozai was. In fact, I'm pretty sure Amon would make Ozai shit himself.

Also, dying to know what was up with those quick flashbacks at the end, there.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #38
Al_Cone

Where we're going, we don't need nanomachines
Group Icon

Member No.: 162

post May 6 2012, 11:35 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ May 7 2012, 12:09 AM) *
Already, Amon is shaping up to be a way more badass main antagonist than Ozai was. In fact, I'm pretty sure Amon would make Ozai shit himself.

Ozai was played by Mark Hamil. I haven't even seen the new show, but Ozai gets all of the points because of that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #39
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post May 6 2012, 11:37 PM
Shut that fanboy shit up and learn you som'm.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #40
Al_Cone

Where we're going, we don't need nanomachines
Group Icon

Member No.: 162

post May 7 2012, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ May 7 2012, 12:37 AM) *
Shut that fanboy shit up and learn you som'm.

My apologies, Cody Baier-Sabat.

The show's on Nickelodeon's website, right?

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:25 AM