Post #1
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

post Apr 4 2012, 06:00 PM
I'm gonna keep this short and sweet...

We all remember Toonami, right? Of course. We all loved it up until a certain point. I'm sure you've heard by now that Adult Swim turned into Toonami for April Fools. Specifically, Toonami back when it was cool. The reaction online was HUGE. So Adult Swim sez:

"Want it back? Let us know. #BringBackToonami"

Twitter fucking explodes. People want that shit back. So Adult Swim, just today, says this...

"#BringBackToonami We've heard you. Thank you for your passion and interest - stay tuned."

Considering all the trouble they'dve had to go through to do the April Fools bit (including buying the rights to all the characters, images, and music used in the bumpers...) one starts to wonder...

So, in case it does come back, here's a thread for it. If it doesn't, hey... Memories...

--------------------

The internet gives everybody the illusion of power. Everyone’s a commentator, everyone’s a writer, everyone’s a movie critic, everyone’s a moral activist. And as a result, everyone is a fucking idiot.
~Gilbert Gottfried
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
Al_Cone

Where we're going, we don't need nanomachines
Group Icon

Member No.: 162

post Apr 4 2012, 06:15 PM
Toonami was the shit back in the day. My weekday afternoons as a child boiled down entirely to Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, whatever Tenchi they were playing at the time (I never saw the last episodes of any of them; they switched them out frequently) and Sailor Moon nothing else at all. I still remember catching my first episode of Dragon Ball Z on Toonami. It was the one where Vegeta gets his ass kicked around by Android 18. Tom was a smooth motherfucker. Cartoon Network would be fortunate to get Toonami back.

Fuck, I'd tune in every Saturday, especially if it's got shades of the old line-up. I want me sum Outlaw Star. I regret never watching it as a kid.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #3
AverageGuy

Group: Members
Member No.: 467

post Apr 4 2012, 06:16 PM
God, I hope it comes back. I still remember watching Reboot after school and then following DBZ... I was on the edge of my seat the entire Buu saga before I realized it was really fucking old and wasn't newly airing on Toonami. My excuse is that I was something like eleven and didn't know any better.

So much nostalgia...

This post has been edited by AverageGuy: Apr 4 2012, 06:19 PM
+Quote Post
Post #4
Viashino_wizard

That's a Jimmybean!

Member No.: 222

post Apr 4 2012, 06:39 PM
If Toonami came back, I would start watching TV on the television again.

--------------------
QUOTE (TigerEyes)
Change is mandatory. It's progress that's optional.

"Stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things are very popular but I'm a fan of extraordinary people trying to do ordinary things"
-Kelly Turnbull
+Quote Post
Post #5
Protto

HOWLING

Member No.: 353

post Apr 4 2012, 06:40 PM
Only caught a couple Outlaw Star episodes, myself, but they were enough to completely draw me in. It's a shame I never found out the name until recently, or I would have watched it on bootleg legally found a way to view it earlier.

Also, this thread raised my hopes up that Toonami might be coming back. Stop playing with my heart, Shmeckie.

This post has been edited by Protto: Apr 4 2012, 06:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #6
Bitch_Please

Tactful as Sexual Intercourse.

Member No.: 622

post Apr 4 2012, 06:41 PM
I dunno, i loved Toonami when i was younger and missed it when it was removed, but i think it should stay dead. Bringing Toonami would feel kinda like exhuming your grandpa who always told you great stories and bringing him back to hear them again. He still tells the stories right, but the feel is off. You know the stories he tells and how he tells them, so you feel blissful nostalgia at first. But then you remember how the old man died, slowly loosening the chains of the mortal coil before finally dying and remembered fondly. By bringing him back you kinda ruin that. When something reaches its end it always seems sad, but thats how it's supposed to end, when you bring back your dead grandpa he acts the same, but he is still meant to be dead. I'm just saying, sometimes things need to stay dead, or else when you bring it back, it just doesn't seem right.

--------------------
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Jun 12 2011, 12:26 AM) *

(
o ) ( o )
My contributions to this thread.
+Quote Post
Post #7
Viashino_wizard

That's a Jimmybean!

post Apr 4 2012, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (Bitch_Please @ Apr 4 2012, 07:41 PM) *
I dunno, i loved Toonami when i was younger and missed it when it was removed, but i think it should stay dead. Bringing Toonami would feel kinda like exhuming your grandpa who always told you great stories and bringing him back to hear them again. He still tells the stories right, but the feel is off. You know the stories he tells and how he tells them, so you feel blissful nostalgia at first. But then you remember how the old man died, slowly loosening the chains of the mortal coil before finally dying and remembered fondly. By bringing him back you kinda ruin that. When something reaches its end it always seems sad, but thats how it's supposed to end, when you bring back your dead grandpa he acts the same, but he is still meant to be dead. I'm just saying, sometimes things need to stay dead, or else when you bring it back, it just doesn't seem right.

Never try to make an analogy again.

--------------------
QUOTE (TigerEyes)

"Stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things are very popular but I'm a fan of extraordinary people trying to do ordinary things"
-Kelly Turnbull
+Quote Post
Post #8
Protto

HOWLING

Member No.: 353

post Apr 4 2012, 06:48 PM
QUOTE (Bitch_Please @ Apr 4 2012, 07:41 PM) *

A deceased loved one is not the same as a TV show though. We're talking about watching classic reruns of great, old school entertainment hosted by a smooth-talking motherfucker on the tube, not having to deal with the ramifications of defying the laws of nature to resurrect a rightfully dead person. And it's not like they're going to add in new, stupid episodes to the shows, a la Family Guy.

Though that does raise the question of whether or not Toonami will add in newer anime shows to the lineup if it is brought back.

This post has been edited by Protto: Apr 4 2012, 06:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #9
Badass Overlord

I aim with my eye. I shoot with my mind. I kill with my heart.

Member No.: 235

post Apr 4 2012, 07:10 PM
FUCK YEAH! I hope to god Toonami comes back. Watched that shit everyday when I was young. Fucking Hamtaro man. Fucking Hamtaro.

I missed Outlaw Star, Tenchi, and Rourouni Kenshin. And thanks to them showing Toonami again, I got in a serious mood for Yu Yu Hakusho, so I've been watching that in my freetime.

Also they should add some new series, as long as they aren't shitty.

--------------------

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.”

Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun!
And all the foes of men and rose
Rise with the setting sun.

I am He who howls in the night; I am He who moans in the snow; I am He who hath never seen light; I am He who mounts from below.
My car is the car of Death; My wings are the wings of dread; My breath is the north wind’s breath; My prey are the cold and the dead.
- Psychopompos
+Quote Post
Post #10
NiGHTS Noob

Hackers got nothing on me

Member No.: 210

post Apr 4 2012, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (Viashino_wizard @ Apr 4 2012, 10:39 PM) *
If Toonami came back, I would start watching TV on the television again.

Also, FUCK YEAH HAMTARO!

--------------------
QUOTE (Some dude at Mangafox)
Did I mention that one time I hacked into the CIA's central files using only an NES and a Power Glove? Yep, that was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Post #11
SM2142

Mocking Apprentice

Member No.: 582

post Apr 4 2012, 07:36 PM
I watched Toonami back in the day, and I sometimes miss it. One of the shows I remember most was "Reboot", a 3-D cartoon made in Canada. I don't know why,
but I watched it. Bring back Toonami, yeah, I'll watch it in hopes it stays true to its roots.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #12
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

Member No.: 445

post Apr 4 2012, 07:49 PM
Nothing like coming home, throwing your backpack down, grabbing a Ho-Ho and an iced tea, and kicking back to catch the end of G Gundam as a prelude to Tenchi Universe, Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z after a grueling day at school.

--------------------
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Sep 25 2011, 09:32 PM)
If James Hetfield does a guest spot in My Little Pony I will eat my underwear. Live over Skype.

"Cody could do nothing but surrender to the all-consuming kiss. It was as if every nerve ending in his body led directly to his cock. He ground his hips against the man in an effort to get closer, which solicited another growl from the chest of the larger wolf. He reached down to grab hold of Cody’s ass and pressed them closer still. As soon as he became capable of rational thought again, Cody narrowed it down to only one. It’s him! He wanted to scream it to the entire world. It’s him! He found me!"
—from Cody's Revelation by Lavinia Lewis
+Quote Post
Post #13
AverageGuy

Member No.: 467

post Apr 4 2012, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Bitch_Please @ Apr 4 2012, 09:41 PM) *

Except no. I tried watching Power Rangers again, and it sucked. I tried watching Toonami again, and it was still awesome.
Some things can be cool at any age. Toonami doesn't have to do much. You get Tom to air some of the most nostalgic anime possible (or good anime) and you have him talk in between and well... be Tom... and that's Toonami. And it's always the shit, because it's... well, Toonami.
+Quote Post
Post #14
NiGHTS Noob

Hackers got nothing on me

Member No.: 210

post Apr 5 2012, 03:55 AM
QUOTE (SM2142 @ Apr 4 2012, 11:36 PM) *
I watched Toonami back in the day, and I sometimes miss it. One of the shows I remember most was "Reboot", a 3-D cartoon made in Canada. I don't know why,
but I watched it. Bring back Toonami, yeah, I'll watch it in hopes it stays true to its roots.

Reboot was pretty fucking awesome, but you know what was even better?

Beast Wars

Shit was made by the same guys, and it was a Transformers series only with these magical things known as good plot and strong characters. So basically the exact opposite of the Bay movies.

--------------------
QUOTE (Some dude at Mangafox)
Did I mention that one time I hacked into the CIA's central files using only an NES and a Power Glove? Yep, that was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Post #15
Viashino_wizard

That's a Jimmybean!

post Apr 5 2012, 06:04 AM
QUOTE (NiGHTS Noob @ Apr 5 2012, 04:55 AM) *
Reboot was pretty fucking awesome, but you know what was even better?

Beast Wars

Shit was made by the same guys, and it was a Transformers series only with these magical things known as good plot and strong characters. So basically the exact opposite of the Bay movies.

Well, until they handed it to a new guy, forbid him from learning anything about the original plot, and called it Beast Machines...

This post has been edited by Viashino_wizard: Apr 5 2012, 06:05 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (TigerEyes)

-Kelly Turnbull
+Quote Post
Post #16
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

Member No.: 445

post Apr 5 2012, 06:10 AM
QUOTE (Bitch_Please @ Apr 4 2012, 10:41 PM) *

Your analogy is garbage, but I can kinda see where you're coming from.

Its sort of like how programming blocks like SNICK or the Disney Afternoon just slowly faded as we the audience came of age and moved on to other shows or just didn't have the time or interest to become as attached as we were before and the new generation creates a new definition of entertainment to value in the throngs of drolling school days and soccer practice.

That said, I'm in the camp that believes Tom and the whole Toonami Universe are a pretty timeless elements and it would kick ass if I knew my kids could grow up with him in future.

This post has been edited by Tonfa: Apr 5 2012, 06:11 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Sep 25 2011, 09:32 PM)
If James Hetfield does a guest spot in My Little Pony I will eat my underwear. Live over Skype.

"Cody could do nothing but surrender to the all-consuming kiss. It was as if every nerve ending in his body led directly to his cock. He ground his hips against the man in an effort to get closer, which solicited another growl from the chest of the larger wolf. He reached down to grab hold of Cody’s ass and pressed them closer still. As soon as he became capable of rational thought again, Cody narrowed it down to only one. It’s him! He wanted to scream it to the entire world. It’s him! He found me!"
—from Cody's Revelation by Lavinia Lewis
+Quote Post
Post #17
Agnitio Ex Machina

going places

Member No.: 620

post Apr 5 2012, 07:41 AM
We need good ol' Tom for a new generation without fucking him up. I remember when they tried to redesign him. That didn't go so well. I say bring back Toonami on Saturdays, the shit they have now is fucking terrible. I like Ghost in the Shell but it's all reruns...

--------------------

QUOTE (Al_Cone)
I don't think you thought this one through, Machinavelli.
+Quote Post
Post #18
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

post Apr 5 2012, 12:07 PM
QUOTE (Tonfa @ Apr 5 2012, 10:10 AM) *
That said, I'm in the camp that believes Tom and the whole Toonami Universe are a pretty timeless elements and it would kick ass if I knew my kids could grow up with him in future.

Adult Swim is the one bringing it back, though. I would likely become their new Saturday anime block.

--------------------

The internet gives everybody the illusion of power. Everyone’s a commentator, everyone’s a writer, everyone’s a movie critic, everyone’s a moral activist. And as a result, everyone is a fucking idiot.
~Gilbert Gottfried
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #19
Master of AFTER

Name: N/A
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Apr 7 2012, 04:37 AM
Watching DBZ and Gundam Wing on Toonami is how I first got interested in anime, and the block introduced me to a bunch of great series that eventually made their way into my collection. The influence that nostalgia has on my opinion of Toonami is undeniable, but I think it could still find an audience today. As I recall, a lot of people were pretty baffled when it first went off the air, since the promos were all very popular and most of the shows airing during the block were still getting good ratings. After the reception they got for that one-night revival, I think it would be strange if the network heads didn't see the logic in bringing it back.

--------------------

Never flee from conflict. Only within the lessons learned through conflict can we discover who we truly are.
+Quote Post
Post #20
xoxjoanxox

Bubblegum bitch.

Member No.: 384

post Apr 7 2012, 06:08 AM
I was younger than you guys obviously when I first started watching Toonami, but I still remember tuning into that channel every chance I got.

--------------------

QUOTE (9/13/2013 3:49:17 PM Max-Vader:)
YOU KNOW NOTHING, JOAN SNOW

QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Feb 5 2014, 05:08 AM) *
I Was the Drink: The Joan Cheng Story

QUOTE (Screaming Soulcatcher)
Joan are you the straightest shota
+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 01:03 AM