Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The King of Fighters, 2D fighting perfection!
Post #461
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

Group: Members
Member No.: 445

post Nov 27 2011, 03:17 PM
I haven't come across a character I don't like style-wise so far, Although I have to say the Sakazaki siblings are my least favorite so far. Robert and Takuma are cool though, especially Robert. I'm probably gonna add him along with Andy and Ash when I don't feel like exclusively playing the Fatal Fury team.

This post has been edited by Tonfa: Nov 27 2011, 03:17 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Sep 25 2011, 09:32 PM)
If James Hetfield does a guest spot in My Little Pony I will eat my underwear. Live over Skype.

"Whatís the purpose of meeting with each other when we already agree? Find someone who disagrees and invite them to your table. Invite your enemy to talk. Give them a platform to talk because then they will reciprocate. Invite your enemies to sit down and join you. You never know; some small thing you say might give them food for thought, and you will learn from them. Establish dialogue. Itís when the talking stops that the ground becomes fertile for fighting." -- Daryl Davis
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #462
Soba

I THROW MY HANDS UP IN THE AIR SOMETIMES

Member No.: 429

post Nov 27 2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah, i'm normally ok with Ryo, but not this time around. I like Yuri mostly because of her arcade mode dialogues.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #463
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

post Nov 27 2011, 09:24 PM
I've noticed the Arcade Mode dialogues have endured me to characters I used to not like at all. Most notably Athena. She's just too harmless, I can't hate her. Even if she is a massive moe blob...

Except Mai, she still bugs me. There's nothing to her! And the fact that she's teamed with Ms. Fun and Ms. So Much Cooler Than All You Mutha Fuckas only accentuates her blandness. She exists here soleley so other characters can call her a tart, which feels like SNK taking a shot at all the whiny "NO MAI = NO BUY" idiots by putting her in the game, then having several characters take shots at her. Most notably Shen Woo in Arcade Mode, and Duo Lon in Story Mode.

Also, I fucking love this game and Billy Kane is a BEEEEEEEAST!

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Nov 27 2011, 09:24 PM

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #464
Soba

post Nov 27 2011, 09:29 PM
"Not only do you dress like a stripper, you have a loud mouth too. Your mother must cry herself to sleep every night." I love Shen so damn much. You know... Iori must be all bark no bite. He says he's gonna kill everyone, but pretty much everyone lives. Also, I can't hate Ash, now that I know his motives... Also, Saiki may be one of SNK's best bosses, personality and coolness-wise.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #465
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Nov 27 2011, 09:38 PM
What I love about Saiki (and SNK's bottomless fucking pit of creativity) is that he looks foppish, his physical mannerisms are foppish, but the way he talks is blunt and assholish, and his true form is a huge, buff, manly (seriously, even his jawline changes in that form) demon with evil energy coming out of his face.

It's like he looks all bishie like Ash, but it's this facade and there's a fucking monster inside there who just does not give any sort of fuck.

Kinda like Magaki, who initially looks like this suave-lookin' dude, and turns into this thing that's just freaky as fuck.

As for Iori, he kinda is; he detests violence, attends the tournaments only out of a sense of obligation, and his threats tend to be more hardcore than what he actually does. He's very contradictory, but in a deliberate way. Sinister on the outside (dat laugh), softie on the inside.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #466
Soba

post Nov 27 2011, 09:46 PM
I miss the Iori laugh.... but yeah, Saiki is going right up there with Krauser, Geese and Goenitz on my tops list.

Also, I think they scientifically engineered Yuri Kula and Athena's sprites to be as cutesy as possible. Magaki was my first taste of SNK boss syndrome, since XI was my first KOF... that twitching man... that was the best and worst fighting stance ever...

Also, still working out who I want to use besides Shen. I'm kinda on and off with a lot of characters, and I only know one small combo with Ash (Jump HK, C. LK, Flash Kick -forgot what he calls it)

I pulled a cool combo out of my ass with Yuri, and I can't seem to replicate it. Haoh Sho ko ken is kinda hard to super cancel into on controller.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #467
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Nov 27 2011, 11:34 PM
KOF is an unforgiving mistress that demands a fightstick.

Kinda what I love about it. So simple, yet so refined. Combos are short and they're not complicated, but still demand skill with the game and character. Virtually every damn combo in the game starts with crouching lows and ends with a special move, which can be cancelled into crazier shit if you have meter. Yet it's no simplified MVC3 combo stuff (though that does have its merits), you can't turtle your ass off like in SF4, or fall back on fireballs and uppercuts to save your ass. Jump-ins are safer here than in any other fighter, but less guaranteed to give you free combos. All it asks of you is to skillfully learn its very basic combo system, and in return it asks that you do not play like a bitch.

But it simply is NOT havin' all that controller nonsense. I know. I played XI on a controller. Compared to playing it now, on a stick? Night and day. I'm shocked I did as well as I did on a controller back then, to be honest.

Also, I have, to the best of my ability, created a Heat Guy J palette for Maxima. This has pushed me to get better with Maxima.

EDIT: Am I crazy, or is Boss Saiki's theme a fusion of Magaki's theme, Mukai's theme, and epic-battle-style guitar rock?

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Nov 27 2011, 11:53 PM

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #468
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 06:20 AM
I can slightly pick up on the intro to an improvised concierto in the beginning, but it gives mukai's eerie mood. I'll say "kinda".

I'm poor, so I'll either hunt down a cheap or used stick.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #469
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

post Nov 28 2011, 06:49 AM
QUOTE (Soba @ Nov 28 2011, 09:20 AM)

Mmmm...I wouldn't.

There are few pieces of gaming equipment that fall into the "go big or don't go at all" category, and fightsticks are one of them.

The ones that usually go for about $150 are top quality and super reliable, if you opt out for a cheap one, its more than likely gonna be crap and will actually be WORSE than a standard controller. Sure you can technically buy a cheap one and replace all the crap parts with better stuff, but that requires A LOT more overhead than I know I'm willing to invest.

If you like the comforts of a controller though, and happen to be on a budget there are other options (assuming PS3) available such as the HORI Fighting Commander or the PDP Fighting Pad, the latter one actually has a concaved thumbstick and uses microswitches so it delivers super precise inputs and has a satisfying "click" to each button, really helpful for half-circle or 360 motions.

And the HORI controller has a little more weight to it but also has the two shoulder buttons at the top a la standard Playstation controller in addition to a 6-button face setup so this makes it easy to find the best layout for you. The pad is also a whole versus the directional "buttons" of a PS3 controller so its also a little more comfortable in that respect.

This post has been edited by Tonfa: Nov 28 2011, 06:51 AM

--------------------
If James Hetfield does a guest spot in My Little Pony I will eat my underwear. Live over Skype.

"Whatís the purpose of meeting with each other when we already agree? Find someone who disagrees and invite them to your table. Invite your enemy to talk. Give them a platform to talk because then they will reciprocate. Invite your enemies to sit down and join you. You never know; some small thing you say might give them food for thought, and you will learn from them. Establish dialogue. Itís when the talking stops that the ground becomes fertile for fighting." -- Daryl Davis
+Quote Post
Post #470
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 07:27 AM
I've got the 360 version, but I think I've seen some of the fighting game controllers around. I did try a stick once, and it just felt weird.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #471
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

post Nov 28 2011, 07:33 AM
All those controller options are on the 360 as well, but if you ever come across a MAD CATZ FightPad it works really well. I specified PS3 earlier because the same MAD CATZ pads are on the PS3 but they're wireless and much more shoddy for whatever reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #472
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I saw some madcatz on amazon... one of 'em with Ryu's face on it...
I was great with my fighters with a ps2 d-pad, but with the 360 I've become fighting game retarded. Something like this will probably help out significantly.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #473
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

post Nov 28 2011, 07:44 AM
The 360 pad is one of the worst for fighters I think

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #474
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 07:48 AM
It makes things as simple as like... double quarter circles a test of luck. "Ok, let's get this NeoMax going... oh ok, you'd rather do your EX shoryuken thing? Alright Kyo, I respect your desire for independence, but god dammit!"

Also... Holy shit I love the hell out of joe!! Just pressure with Hurrican upper to build meter, smack em with some tiger kicks, and if they try anything, EX screw upper their smarmy asses! YEAHYUH!

This post has been edited by Soba: Nov 28 2011, 10:54 AM

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #475
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Nov 28 2011, 08:20 PM
QUOTE (Soba @ Nov 28 2011, 10:20 AM)
I can slightly pick up on the intro to an improvised concierto in the beginning, but it gives mukai's eerie mood. I'll say "kinda".

You can actually spot the elements from each theme in certain points in the song. The elements from Mukai's theme are at the very beginning of the song, then the elements from Magaki's theme, then the rock.

DON'T.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #476
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 08:22 PM
I didn't. I got a fight pad and I loves it. Played with NN today. Shen Woo is still da man

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #477
Tonfa

Drink the Goddamn tea!

post Nov 28 2011, 09:41 PM
Man, I am really liking how Robert plays!

He's got a solid shoto game going but he can really mix it up with some easy links to his "command grab" and kicking Ranbu, not to mention he has a Bang Shishigami-esque cross-up kick that also doubles as a wall jump!

Getting better with Terry as well, the man really knows how to put on some pressure from some reasonable distances.

Still haven't solved the connection problem with Shmeckie though sad.gif

And I totally got a few matches in with another dude we know, granted it fell apart after the 10th fight, but thats still 10 more fights than I've had previously (and I'm blaming SNK for that one)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #478
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm kickin' some Ass with Kyo. Orochinage is my friend

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post
Post #479
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Nov 28 2011, 10:24 PM
Still working on the K' Team, as well as improving my game with my main 3. Saiki's combos are odd in their timing. Very Rugal-esque in how his combos work, in that his attacks are slower and chain slower than most, and doesn't operate in the low-centric mold of everyone else.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #480
Soba

post Nov 28 2011, 10:30 PM
Did I mention that Kyo's command grab is fun too? Because it is.

I think I'm looking at Shen, Kyo and Ash.

--------------------

Lul.
+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:28 PM