Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The King of Fighters, 2D fighting perfection!
Post #1
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Apr 15 2006, 06:15 PM
After years of simply sitting there and housing nothing but obnoxiously loud light gun cabinets and ancient fighting games with multiple broken buttons, the little arcade in the mall near my house finally gave me a reason to spend some quarters within its walls again last month when the owners acquired a brand new, duel-screen upright platform cabinet featuring the King of Fighters XI. I got the chance to try this game a few days ago, and holy crap, I dare say this is one of the best KoF games yet.

I'm impressed with the way the Atomiswave hardware renders the backgrounds and special effects, and the character sprites look better than ever thanks to plenty of new animations. Speaking of the characters, the roster for XI is superb. The series continues its beloved tradition of featuring a truckload of playable fighters, including some awesome newcomers we haven't seen in the KoF universe before. I'm a little surprised (and slightly annoyed) that they left Mai and Yamazaki out of this one, but it's a forgivable flaw in an otherwise excellent installment in the series.

Anybody else here have the chance to play this one, yet? Besides that, are they any other KoF fans who'd like to discuss the series? If not, then hang your heads in shame. This franchise is called the King of Fighters for a reason, fools.

--------------------

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

post Apr 15 2006, 06:44 PM
You're the best person ever.

XI is out?! In America?! Holy shit!! I just creamed in my pants! And I thought the soundtrack being on Galbadia Hotel was cool enough. And yes, the new characters kick ass; especially Oswald. Magaki's a cool boss, and you can see how he connects to Mukai in appearance, as well as story (and I can guess that Orochi's gonna come back soon! Woohoo!).

I'm not too sad about Mai being gone, as I was never too into Mai.

God do I love KOF. Like a groupie, I am. I probably know more little details about the series than I should, but I'm pretty knowledgable about anything I like, so I guess its not that bad. I've even put some info up on the KOF Wikipedia pages (character info, and all that). I've even got an import of KOF94 Re-Bout...

Hell, half my MUGEN roster is SNK and KOF characters.

I should stop now. I'm becoming a raging fanboy...

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #3
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

post Apr 15 2006, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Apr 15 2006, 07:44 PM)
And yes, the new characters kick ass; especially Oswald.

Oswald is the shit. He's probably my favorite new non-boss entry in the series since Duo Lon joined the roster in KoF '03. And of course, having B. Jenet in there is awesome as well. I really gotta play 'Garou' one of these days...

You got an import of '94 Re-Bout, huh? That's pretty sweet. I've been tossing around the idea of importing Neowave for awhile now, simply because it looks like SNK might only release that one for the Xbox in the US... IF they even do a console release over here, that is.

--------------------

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #4
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Apr 15 2006, 08:42 PM
Yup. Got an import of Re-Bout and '97. Truthfully, Re-Bout ain't that hot. I was hoping for move rosters updated throughout the years, since 94 lacked ALOT of the specials that are in later games. It just ended up being a prettier step down. With 3-D backgrounds.

I wanna play Garou. =(

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #5
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2006, 05:03 PM
Hot damn! I just found out that Mai is going to be reintroduced to the roster in the upcoming PS2 version of KoF XI... Along with Robert Garcia, Hotaru Futaba from 'Garou', aaaand my main man Geese Howard! The home version is also supposed to include new stages and music tracks, a color edit mode, and playable boss characters. If there was ever a KoF game worthy of importing, this is gonna be it.

--------------------

Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #6
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2006, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Apr 23 2006, 09:03 PM)
Hot damn!  I just found out that Mai is going to be reintroduced to the roster in the upcoming PS2 version of KoF XI... Along with Robert Garcia, Hotaru Futaba from 'Garou'

Eh...

aaaand my main man Geese Howard!

FUCK! YES!
Awwww-haw-haw, someone at SNK loves me. Yes they do. Oh yes they do...

Seriously. Awesome.

The home version is also supposed to include new stages and music tracks, a color edit mode, and playable boss characters.  If there was ever a KoF game worthy of importing, this is gonna be it.

Holy shit, this game's got almost too much good shit! Oh, man, if they do a new version of Geese's theme, I'll shit myself...

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #7
Muzzy Roberto

Puff, puff, give.

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

post May 14 2006, 03:19 AM
Hotaru? That's one of garou's least inspiried characters. I'd rather have seen Grant, Kain or Tizoc (TIIIIIIIIIIIIII-ZOC!) but SNK luvs the little girls...

And neither of youhave played Garou? It's SNK's answer to SF3... and that's saying something.
+Quote Post
Post #8
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post May 14 2006, 07:15 AM
I agree with the first sentence, and as for the second, my friend and I have been searching for it high and low. Closest I've come is some characters from Garou downloaded for M.U.G.E.N.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #9
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

post May 14 2006, 05:51 PM
I ran into the same problem awhile back. For some reason, the US version of Garou seems to have fallen off the face of the earth a few years ago... Even eBay only sees the game up for bid once in a blue moon, where it's not at all uncommon for a used copy to go for three figures.

By the way Muzzy, Tizoc is already in KoF XI.

--------------------

Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #10
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post May 14 2006, 08:58 PM
...There was a US version of Garou!?

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #11
Muzzy Roberto

Puff, puff, give.

Member No.: 31

post May 14 2006, 09:03 PM
Oh yeah... he was in KOF '03, wasn't he.

Well then I'm happy.

And seriously, can't you people run a Kawaks Emulator? Easiest and cheapest way to get Garou running, hands down.
+Quote Post
Post #12
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

post May 15 2006, 12:37 AM
Shmeckie: There sure was, although it wasn't called Garou. For the US release of the game, it was retitled 'Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves'. You can check it out here and here.

Muzzy: I've never dealt with any emulator for a system more recent than the SNES, simply because they're too damn complicated. I spent almost a week trying to get a PS1 emulator running so I could play a couple of Japanese One Piece games, and I never did get most of it working properly. And God knows I don't have the kind of time it would take to set up Kawaks.

--------------------

Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #13
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Aug 1 2006, 08:38 PM
Well, I managed to finally get NeoGeo Battle Coliseum imported, and I figure it's close enough to KOF to keep here...

First off, I gotta say I love the roster. It spans many different Neo Geo titles, and includes my main man, Geese Howard. It's notable Geese's Jaei Ken has been turned into a charge move (hold back for a few seconds, then forward and kick), and that this is the first game in which I've managed to successfully pull off the entire Deadly Rave. Made me happy. =) Ai was funny to see in action, because she fights with a Neo Geo Pocket, and her techniques, amoung other things, has her summoning Tetris pieces that drop on your head.

The Arcade mode is different, but has a pretty cool format, actually. It plays like Survival mode, where your health stays as-is (though recovers a bit after each fight), and the opponents come at you endlessly. The difference here is that not only do you get battle bonuses after a certain amount of fights (increase the time limit, increase health, etc.), but when time runs out, depending on your performance, you'll face one of four bosses. Meet a certain amount of requirements, and you'll face Neodio (from World Heroes, who looks so god damn badass in this game), Shin Kinglion (from Kizuna Encounter, who, like Neodio, looks 100x more badass here than he ever has), or, if you do extra-good, you'll face the ever-awesome Goodman, who's an original character, and the game's main villain. Meet none of the requirements, like I did, and you face Mizuchi, a clone of Orochi from KOF97 made by Goodman's WAREZ organization.

Let me talk about Mizuchi for a second. Now, I've seen some SNK Boss Syndrome in my day, but HOLY FUCKING GOD DAMN MIZUCHI! God, he makes the original Orochi look like some kind of little pissant! You CANNOT reach this guy! It was a struggle just maneuvering past all his flurries of energy coloumns (he can make 2 ata time, by the way), and when I got to him, BAM, he'd stop me with that mirror or some shit. When I did manage to hit him, or once, even get him with the Geese Howard 1-2-3 (a term I coined for the rapid strikes in the air, followed by his lunging punch right after landing, and ending it with a crouching hard kick to knock the opponent off their feet), he would HEAL! That's right, this fucker gets his health back after taking damage. Specifically, he regains the last hit that was done on him. God DAMMIT! I never got him below 1/4 of his health! And having seen Goodman in action in MUGEN, I'm damn scared to fight him! Hell, in MUGEN, I can fight some of the best AI characters with Goodman, and get perfects! Good lord, the AI in Battle Coliseum is gonna be able to do that to me! Jesus H. Christ!

I may complain now, but I'll be honest; I love every minute of it. I get off on challenges like this. Though it does disappoint me, now, that the MUGEN counterparts of these Battle Coliseum bosses don't have AIs like this...

Also, even though I got the soundtrack beforehand, I should note to everyone that the soundtrack is awesome. Mizuchi and Goodman's themes sound like they were pulled from Castlevania and Final fantasy, respectively, and Neodio's theme is cool in a funky kinda way (any song that kicks off with an echoing "UNH!" is okay by me, I just wish I could tell what the guy is saying in that song). The regular stage tracks are great, and really set the mood, but the boss themes just stand out so much...

Next up? I'ma import KOF XI

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Aug 1 2006, 08:42 PM

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #14
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

post Aug 1 2006, 10:29 PM
That game sounds like some badass shit... I've had my eye on this one for some time, and the game's style coupled with it's "best of" SNK game all-star roster have been taunting me all the while. The whole game is really like one big thank-you note from SNK to its fans, which is made that much cooler since more and more video game companies seem to distancing themselves from their fanbases as much as possible these days...

Thanks for that comprehensive review, Shmeckie. I really like the sound of the way the game handles the main arcade mode... That's an area of the fighting game genre we haven't seen much innovation in since the days of the Super Nintendo, so it's nice to see SNK mixing things up a bit.

Concerning Goodman, I haven't seen him in action yet, but the character design alone is awe-inspiring. Don't tell Muzzy, but my first impression of Goodman was that he looked like Gill's older and more hardcore brother. Seriously, take Gill and wash off the body paint, give him some awesome duds and a cape, equip him with a giant whip made of fire (!), and who do you have?

On a final note, I'd like to ask you or anyone else familiar with the subject about importing PS2 games. I assumed you could just buy the Japanese version and use a freeloader disc on the PS2 like you can with the GameCube, but apparently that isn't the case... Do I have to buy a Region 2 system or what?

--------------------

Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #15
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Aug 1 2006, 10:58 PM
You just need an original model PS2 (not the slim). Just get a Magic Swipe disk for, like, 40 dollars. Then, remove the front plate where the disc tray coems from. When you use the Magic Swipe, you insert the disk into the tray like a game (there's two disks; one for DVD games, and one for CD games), and wait for the "Load Program" screen. Then you take the little contraption that comes with it, insert it into the closed try, and tug on what I think is the eye, then you pull it back to open the tray, swap the magic swipe disk for the game you wanna play (you can use it to play impoirted games, or you can burn copies of games via a PC, and play the copies this way), push the tray closed MANUALLY, pull the eye back in place, and select "Load Program". After that, the game plays perfectly. Plus, this neither endangers your PS2, nor does it even void the warranty!

Apparently, the PS2 Action Replay allows for importing, as well, but that I'm not as sure about.

As for Goodman, I love the fact that, not only does he have one of the coolest levels and musics in Fighting Game-dom as of late, but also one of the most inventive and original powers I've ever seen. See, he doesn't use that whip as a weapon, oh no. Instead, he uses it like an animal tamer to command a fire-like gorilla spirit that fights at his side (although getting hit by the whip when he lashes it does do damage). The guy is fucking devastating; he can make the spirit jump back and forth in an arc fast as shit, travel in either direction as a shockwave-like series of flaming bursts, or leap in the air, and drop right down on your head. Oh, and when the spirit does these attacks, he's going at BREAKNECK FUCKING SPEED. You seriously have to watch Goodman's actions, and know which use of his whip commands the spirit to do which attack, or you will be raped. Oh, yeah, and he's got Rugal and Igniz's projectile-reflecting shield.

You do not fuck with Goodman.

The MUGEN version of Goodman I have even adds a fuck-you-in-the-ass powerful super attack (Goodman oroginally doesn't have any Supers, save the ability to turn blue and increase his already ridiculous power), where the spirit does 3 arcing leaps, before leaping upwards, slamming down in the center of the arena, and sending two fire shockwaves in both directions, effectively combining all of the spirit attacks into one. Seriously, you need to get in on MUGEN, man. Just lemme know when, and I can immediately hook you up with a screenpack and a bunch of characters, all of which will rock you ass off. Unless you DON'T wanna kick ass with a CvS version of Nightmare Geese...

EDIT: As a sidenote, Kong Kuwata (Geese's VA) seems to have gotten alot better at speaking English. His "you cannot escape from death" sounded so good I thought Geese got a VO change, and his broken English seems to have been worked out (so Geese won't be staining his house with anyone's brud anymore).

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Aug 1 2006, 11:20 PM

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #16
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Sep 10 2006, 07:57 PM
SO, hey, I managed to get my grubby hands on an import of King of Fighters XI, since it looks like it won't be hitting consoles in the US anytime soon. I must say that, like Moab said, this is the best KOF to date, in every aspect. The gameplay feels smoother, and the Special and Dream Cancels really make everything feel smoother, and really let me play the way I like! And finally, FINALLY, we have a KOF game that USES THE JOYSTICK! Oh happy day, I'm not forced to use the D-Pad anymore! I mean, you can if you want, but I much prefer using the joystick and now I finally can! SWEET!

Also, I fucking love Oswald. Sure, I had him in MUGEN before I played this, but my love for Oswald remains valid!

And the music is phenominal! Definately the best in the series! I mean, sure, I had the soundtrack before I played the thing, but now I get the chance to say something! Seriously, this is some fucking awesome shit! Sure, I've heard better standalone tracks (Adelheid's theme in this game, that he shares with Gai Tendo, is nowhere near as awesome as his theme from '03), but as an overall soundtrack, this one takes the cake. The guitar solo in the Hero Team's theme should earn someone a medal (plus, the voice samples in it are neat...)

The cutscenes are also the best in the series! Damn! The artwork is fucking terrific, looking like a cross between mainstream anime, and what Aeon Flux would look like if it didn't suck (untransformed Magaki, in the cutscenes, reminds me of Trevor Goodchild, the bad guy from that series). God, I would KILL to know Japanese, or at least get a translation of these cutscenes. I've seen a few translations, bet they were low-quality... And even though SNK does the "slideshow w/ animations" thing they always do for cutscenes, the artwork and graphics quality make it look, at times, like an actual anime cutscene (just look at Magaki spraying blue blood like a firehose when Shion gets her revenge).

I still gotta figure out what you do during those challenges, though, what with me not knowing a word of Japanese and all...

Oh, and Magaki is a fucking MONSTER! Seriously! Good LORD! That man does some fucking DAMAGE!

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Sep 10 2006, 07:58 PM

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #17
Master of AFTER

Rats...
Group Icon

post Sep 10 2006, 09:08 PM
Aww MAN... Did I mention those bastards at my local arcade fucking sold the KOF XI console a few months ago? Yeah, I haven't played any sweet, sweet KOF arcade goodness since early July. And they even replaced it with one of those DDR-esque button-rhythm games, as if to give me the finger.

I am seriously going to have to import this one. Like Shmeckie said, the gameplay is smooth like butter... Since playing it, all the other KOF games seem too jerky and rough to me.

How does Geese play in that one, man? Is he available from the start, or is he one of those unlockable "bonus" characters?

Oh yeah, and if you want a translation guide for the challenge objectives, this one seems to do the trick. smile.gif

--------------------

Dean Martin
+Quote Post
Post #18
Shmeckie

Kuhahahaha!
Group Icon

post Sep 10 2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I found that guide.

And yeah, Geese has to be unlocked. You get him from Challenge 40, and he's hard as hell to get. You're Geese, on a one-on-one with Terry, with 50% health, and the only move that'll hurt Terry is Geese's counter throw. So, it's a game of rock-paper-scissors, of sorts, trying to guess when Terry will use a physical attack, or his projectile. Hard as hell, but I found ways around it, and I got the Geese-man. I never got to see if he has his theme music back, but Kyo-EX has Esaka back, so I'm sure Geese has an "A _____ For Geese" in this one, too. They went with the toned-down, close-range Geese, though, with the non-projectile Reppuken, and short-range Shippuken, and all that.

Mr. Big seems easier to use than I remember, too. I've never been this good with him before. I kinda like how he and Geese are directly below Shion and Magaki, respectively, on the select screen. Don't ask me why I like that, but I do...

And Jazu and Silver are hard as balls to get...!

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #19
Arc Baltic

Mash that DP FP

Group: Banned
Member No.: 32

post Sep 11 2006, 11:18 AM
Umm is this the same game? http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281490

Cause if so it is coming out like at the end of the month...

--------------------
"We compare. Humans are creatures of comparison. Constantly deciding whether things are good or bad, or better or worse than other things. Eventually we make so many comparisons that our overloaded brains will accept anything, good or bad, right or wrong, not caring which is which." -Brandon Heat
+Quote Post
Post #20
Robert the Small

Member No.: 42

post Sep 11 2006, 03:11 PM
Very different games, thats the 3d KOF game, which I'm not sure is good, and XI is a 2d game.
+Quote Post

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 10:23 PM