Post #141
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Jun 25 2017, 12:01 PM
QUOTE (StabbyKobold @ Jun 25 2017, 11:56 AM) *
Stop trying to take a high ground that doesn't exist.

My issue isn't with you, or what you're doing with it; from what I've seen of this thread, your chapters offer some of the better material. My problem is with this entire collaborative effort as a whole.

Over the last year and a half, Project AFTER has hemorrhaged users like Alexei Romanov on a low-sodium diet. With the best and most frequent contributors in this particular subforum long ago departed, what's left is a garden so choked with weeds that anything attempting to sprout and bloom is quickly and ignominiously smothered. This thread, and this story, and the cud-chewing process which births each successive installment, are symptomatic of that problem.

In short, I'm not taking the high ground. I am the high ground.

--------------------
QUOTE (theabhorrentatrocity @ Aug 15 2015, 02:25 PM) *
daddy longleg spiders are scary as they're one of the most poisonous spiders so not much of an over reaction.

A list of mocks can now be found on my profile page!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #142
StabbyKobold

Critically Sarcastic

Group: Members
Member No.: 660

post Jun 25 2017, 12:20 PM
QUOTE (Al_Cone @ Jun 25 2017, 10:01 PM) *
In short, I'm not taking the high ground. I am the high ground.

What you are acting like is a smug asshole, while implying that we are being disingenuous, when we tell you why we're doing this. And now you're telling us that this is about the forum's decline, when you opened up this conversation by insulting us.

Whatever made you decide to post in this thread, it's not productive, and it seems immature from where I'm standing. Unless you have something positive to contribute, you're just seeking a confrontation.

--------------------
"So... preparing to storm into the room, you jostle your badger, kick down the door, and throw it at the thug standing inside." - Moment from my D&D campaign.

Click here for more mocks: List O' Mocks
+Quote Post
Post #143
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

post Jun 25 2017, 01:15 PM
QUOTE (StabbyKobold @ Jun 25 2017, 01:20 PM) *
What you are acting like is a smug asshole, while implying that we are being disingenuous, when we tell you why we're doing this. And now you're telling us that this is about the forum's decline, when you opened up this conversation by insulting us.

Whatever made you decide to post in this thread, it's not productive, and it seems immature from where I'm standing. Unless you have something positive to contribute, you're just seeking a confrontation.

I've been around ten goddamn years now; I reserve the right to be a catty, arrogant asshole. Someone around here has to be.

Project AFTER is shutting down within the next few months, and I don't like that its last year and a half or so of operation has been so mediocre. I look at a group effort like this one, and I see a microcosm of the various reasons why. The comedy is hit or miss, there's little to no quality control regarding who does and doesn't get a slice, and despite what you're saying, there are so many comments containing unironic critique and actual indignation that I can't decide who takes the story more seriously--the authors, or the people making fun of it.

But I am banking on the latter.

This isn't like Fallout: Equestria, whose cancerous fandom treated it like literary gold, demanding that its absurd logic and underlying themes be brought naked and screaming out into the open. Or Neon Exodus, which was technically well done, but overwrought with a convoluted crossover cosmology that weighed down and ultimately sank a self-gratifying, masturbatory narrative. And it's not like a Mykan story, where the author takes it seriously because he believes he will literally die if he doesn't write it. It's an absurdist hatefic satirizing and caricaturing a group of real people who, let's be honest, probably represent the story's most devoted fanbase at this point. In tone and style, it's probably closer to something like Shinji's Nightmare Cataclysm than anything else.

But it's not being handled that way. Do you get me? And it is stifling whatever comedic potential this effort might've had.

This post has been edited by Al_Cone: Jun 25 2017, 01:16 PM

--------------------
daddy longleg spiders are scary as they're one of the most poisonous spiders so not much of an over reaction.

+Quote Post
Post #144
StabbyKobold

Critically Sarcastic

post Jun 25 2017, 01:37 PM
Hey, I'm sad that this forum's glory days are over too, but it doesn't help that you jump in here digging for raw nerves like a troll begging for attention.

You don't like how we're handling this? The comedy doesn't live up to your standards? Fine. But bellyaching about it doesn't help.

How about we just let the matter rest, and we go back to having fun here? Because that's all we're trying to do while we still can.

--------------------
"So... preparing to storm into the room, you jostle your badger, kick down the door, and throw it at the thug standing inside." - Moment from my D&D campaign.

+Quote Post
Post #145
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

post Jun 25 2017, 04:16 PM
Ha. I can't say I've ever had "you no like-y you no read-y" thrown at me in a mock before, but this is a season for change, I suppose.

Spend it however you like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #146
GorillaGamer

Shillin' Best Girl from Fire Emblem: Echoes

Member No.: 1,378

post Jun 25 2017, 05:15 PM
Sorry if I'm a little late, but I don't want things to escalate too badly.

Al, you have every right to not like our mock. That's fine, since comedy is subjective in the eyes of the viewer. However what isn't alright is attempting to start a fight by acting like an arrogant jackass. Let's just put the matter aside and continue with the mock, since we don't have much time left.

And your comment about the authors not taking this seriously is false, since they've been hyping up this story on their website.

--------------------
List of mocks can be found here: Here

QUOTE (AnItalianGuy @ May 27 2016, 02:03 AM) *
Jesus man what is up with you and all of those waifus! Are you secretly the "Ultimate Pimp"?
+Quote Post
Post #147
StabbyKobold

Critically Sarcastic

post Jun 25 2017, 05:16 PM
QUOTE (Al_Cone @ Jun 26 2017, 02:16 AM) *
Ha. I can't say I've ever had "you no like-y you no read-y" thrown at me in a mock before, but this is a season for change, I suppose.

How about you stop putting words in my mouth and attempt to make this about something it isn't. I found your behavior unbecoming, and that's all I've been telling you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #148
truthordeal

Advanced Member

Member No.: 631

post Jun 25 2017, 06:01 PM
Al's criticism of this mock isn't unfounded, to be honest. His wording could've been more helpful or whatever, but this is an anti-fanfic mocking site, so idgaf. Content wise though he's right; there is a lot of unironic "hurr I'm angry you said this about me." I'm as guilty as anyone, despite my "character" being probably the least offensive. The content of this thing is just disturbing at times. It would've been nice had we tried a collab thing on a story that wasn't basically a hit piece before tackling this. We'd have probably avoided a lot of that.

Another critique I'd like to point out since we probably won't get to do a post mortem: I'm not excusing me or anyone else, but I would have liked it if, were the forums not heading towards doom, we could've put up a bit more spaced out of a posting schedule. There were times where we were having a chapter posted less than a day apart, which made it very difficult to keep up with other people's stuff let alone mine. My shit was especially rushed, I felt. I usually take a week or two just to write and edit up a chapter of a mock, but in order to keep up with the update schedule on this thing I've basically been running through them over the course of an evening.

That being said, I'm sure there's more to pick apart here, but I'll be honest, because of the above I haven't been reading most of the chapters mocked here. That's probably not a great sign to begin with, but it is what it is.

Didn't mean to come in here and dump on people more, but this is stuff I would've wanted to go over after the fact anyway. I do think we should take more than a bit of what Al says to heart though. He's definitely got more credibility than I do in how to do this very niche form of comedy well.

This post has been edited by truthordeal: Jun 25 2017, 06:02 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #149
CuChulainn1290

A very angry goose, clad in orange

Member No.: 520

post Jun 25 2017, 08:52 PM
As much as he's being an old fart about it, Al kinda does have a point. I don't know, it just feels like everything feels reactionary. That includes my own work in my co-op chapter. But I blame that more on the fanfic itself than any one of us.

I mean, think about it: it's a fanfic where someone tried to put us in wholesale for the sole purpose of skewering us wholesale and ended up creating the most schizophrenic piece of work I've read in years. And yet, as we go on, this whole fanfic, and how the Soviet group dynamic has completely fallen apart since we started, starts to read as more tragic than funny. And you really can't mock tragedy.

--------------------
"I am the bone of my snark...
Courage is my body,
and logic is my blood.
I have read over a thousand fanfics.
Unknown to love,
Nor known to hate,
Have withstood great mindscrews to read many fanfics...
Yet those eyes will never see anything again...
So hear me, as I pray...
UNLIMITED MOCK WORKS!"

QUOTE (Truth)
"Who am I? One name you might have for me is the world, or you might call me the universe, or perhaps God, or perhaps the Truth. I am All, and I am One. So, of course, this also means that I am you. I am the truth of your despair, the inescapable price of your boastfulness."

Current Mocks

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4: Misty Storyline (DISCONTINUED)

The War of Megazords VS Gundams (ON HIATUS: 4/27 Complete)

Ultima: The Crossing of Universes (ON HIATUS: 5/45 Complete)

World League of Cartoon Quidditch (In Progress: 4/74 Complete)

LPs

Let's Play SD Gundam G Generation Overworld! (Current Mission: A-2)
+Quote Post
Post #150
MasterOfNintendo

I have risen...

Member No.: 1,747

post Jun 25 2017, 09:14 PM
Well, I'm just glad this discourse is dying down. About that quote of mine that he used to further his point, though. It's just that I simply cannot fathom how these authors expect to be taken seriously. This fanfic just seems like an obvious one-way trip to the complete loss of someone's dignity. Just...did they think?!

Other than that, we should probably get back to the mock. It's just great to be with you guys, after all.

--------------------

The mistakes I see in this this work are to be pointed out so they may not be repeated.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 05:54 AM