Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General Movie Thread!
Post #441
Deceiver

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 495

post Aug 16 2015, 08:27 PM
So, I watched Zombeavers and had a pretty good time with it. As you might imagine from the title, it's more comedy than horror, but damned if there isn't a hell of a grim streak running through things. I was greatly surprised to find out the werezombeavers were not just a character's nightmare; even more so than when they first popped that subplot because man, that came out of nowhere. The gore effects were pretty good throughout; they thankfully had almost no CGI, which was a plus because the few instances were fucking terrible; and the zombeaver puppets were oddly cute.

If you watch it, you simply MUST stick around through the credits; the Zombeavers theme song is fantastic.

I liked it enough that I'm willing to check out the possible Zombee sequel, should it come to pass.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #442
Yaoi Huntress Earth

Came out on top
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 125

post Aug 17 2015, 03:16 PM
QUOTE (Deceiver @ Aug 16 2015, 11:27 PM) *
So, I watched Zombeavers and had a pretty good time with it. As you might imagine from the title, it's more comedy than horror, but damned if there isn't a hell of a grim streak running through things. I was greatly surprised to find out the werezombeavers were not just a character's nightmare; even more so than when they first popped that subplot because man, that came out of nowhere. The gore effects were pretty good throughout; they thankfully had almost no CGI, which was a plus because the few instances were fucking terrible; and the zombeaver puppets were oddly cute.

If you watch it, you simply MUST stick around through the credits; the Zombeavers theme song is fantastic.

I liked it enough that I'm willing to check out the possible Zombee sequel, should it come to pass.

I agree, those puppets are cute and the animated title sequence has a neat, Scooby-Doo feel to it. If they made a sequel, it would probably have werezombeavers and werezombees fighting each other.

--------------------
"The ceiling is a floor, too, if you believe in yourself."-Lupin, Breaking Cat News

-Go see my coloring work at my Deviantart Account.
-Check out and critique my new World of Darkness fancreation, Angel: The Revelation.
(Now with a better link.)
+Quote Post
Post #443
Deceiver

Regular

Member No.: 495

post Aug 17 2015, 07:53 PM
QUOTE (Yaoi Huntress Earth @ Aug 17 2015, 06:16 PM) *
I agree, those puppets are cute and the animated title sequence has a neat, Scooby-Doo feel to it. If they made a sequel, it would probably have werezombeavers and werezombees fighting each other.

Forgot to mention the credits. I enjoyed that.

I would be okay with that sequel. I imagine that'd be the second sequel, though. Like they did with Python, then Boa, then Boa vs. Python.
+Quote Post
Post #444
Yaoi Huntress Earth

Came out on top
Group Icon

post Aug 21 2015, 04:01 PM
I just finished watching Hellraiser: Inferno and it's pretty good. It's not your typical Hellraiser sequel and is best described a psychological morality play. Though your milage may vary with the main actor.

--------------------
"The ceiling is a floor, too, if you believe in yourself."-Lupin, Breaking Cat News

-Check out and critique my new World of Darkness fancreation, Angel: The Revelation.
+Quote Post
Post #445
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

Member No.: 1,599

post Sep 4 2015, 04:32 AM
I just saw this movie called No Escape. For those of you who have heard it, yes, Owen Wilson is the lead in a thriller movie. It sounds stupid, yeah, but y'know what? The movie was actually pretty good. Not excellent, but good. The pacing was well done, the acting's excellent, it was full of suspense and I loved how brutal it was. While I did like the movie, there are a few things I'd like to bitch about it. Namely, the child throwing scene. You can't force me to take it seriously. And this one line from Hammond, "They're just trying to protect their kids, just like you". I call bullshit on this line because it refers to the rebels, who have mercilessly killed people regardless of race throughout the entire movie, you can't tell me to just accept that those merciless killers were "only protecting their children", when they've been killing people throughout the entire movie. And I know that he said this line after it turns out the plot was caused by a conspiracy by the US, but it's still a stupid line.

And another thing, don't trust the reviews the film's gotten. Why? It's being accused of racism. Now let's just assume you actually listen to critics who accuse movies of being racist. I went to see this movie just to see it it was racist. And guess what? Shocker of shocks, critics are just talking out of their ass. I looked hard to see if there was even anything that could be considered racist, and the only thing that could be considered racist is that the Not-Thai (don't act like you're set in some vague Southeast Asian country, movie, it's clearly Thailand) rebels are villains. The critics apparently forgot about the innocent civilians (both Not-Thai and white) who were killed by the rebels, and fucking hell, their deaths were just brutal. Oh, and guess what? The ones who save the main characters in the end aren't Pierce Brosnan or something like the US Army. It was the Vietnamese who saved the day! So suck it, critics!

Overall, movie was good IMO. If you decide to see it, YMMV whether or not it's good (there's a reason why the film got 41% on Rotten Tomatoes). But it's most definitely not racist.

This post has been edited by Virgil Stormblade: Sep 4 2015, 04:36 AM

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #446
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post Oct 30 2015, 06:25 AM
I stumbled upon this old video on youtube that was made for the Truman Show. A sort of "documentary" and interview series with the cast of the Truman show (in character), also putting light on elements of the world created by the insane director Christophe.
It is pretty interesting. Consider it additional information to the movie

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post
Post #447
MelonHead

Wubba Lubba DUB DUB!
Group Icon

Group: AFTERholics
Member No.: 806

post Nov 9 2015, 04:21 PM
The future doesn't look good for Jem.

--------------------

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; ....I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Post #448
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

post Nov 9 2015, 05:13 PM
Good. It'll be released next month over here and I sincerely hope it won't be released in my country.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #449
Master of AFTER

Ayyyy.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Nov 11 2015, 07:14 AM
QUOTE (MelonHead @ Nov 9 2015, 04:21 PM) *
The future doesn't look good for Jem.

I don't understand who this movie's target audience was. Unlike a lot of 80s cartoon franchises that have seen a resurgence in popularity lately, Jem has been deader than dead up until the second this hit theaters. Kids have no idea who the character is, and their parents have either forgotten or don't give a shit. Was the fact that Molly Ringwald is in it supposed to attract nostalgic baby boomers? I really can't figure who Universal expected to pay to watch this movie.

--------------------

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #450
Bonglorio

Horrible person with an irredeemable mouth

Member No.: 647

post Nov 11 2015, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Nov 11 2015, 08:14 AM) *
I don't understand who this movie's target audience was. Unlike a lot of 80s cartoon franchises that have seen a resurgence in popularity lately, Jem has been deader than dead up until the second this hit theaters. Kids have no idea who the character is, and their parents have either forgotten or don't give a shit. Was the fact that Molly Ringwald is in it supposed to attract nostalgic baby boomers? I really can't figure who Universal expected to pay to watch this movie.

Hollywood has never met a stupid idea it didn't like

--------------------
[9:09:06 PM] Soren Highwind: Please don't make me a dick cannibal shane.

[11:45:16 PM] Scream: i have become one with the slug
+Quote Post
Post #451
DeanTheAdequate

Your 50s Dad
Group Icon

Member No.: 536

post Nov 12 2015, 02:18 PM
I may have an answer to that: The license must have been cheap as hell.

Seriously, unlike your Transformers or GI Joe I'm betting to get the rights to that toy line in a movie was dirt cheap. And they figured "Eh, if we make the movie cheap enough it'll roll on, make a few bucks".

If this was a few years ago during the height of the "Singing sensation kid" shows like Hannah Montana and iCarly and whatnot, it might have done better. But that tween market is more diverse than ever, and they'd rather watch yourtube than buy a movie ticket (And who can blame them most of the time. Tween targeted movies are a nebulous zone of failure and always has been. Kids movies have always needed to cater to younger kids or teens to get anywhere)

--------------------
The forgotten member of the "Tribe of Spoon"

Winner of CCC #107- I've decided to let it all go to my head, then my pancreas, then a short trip to the gonads for release.
Winner of CCC #129- Took me a while to push this rock back up the hill and... whoops.
Winner of CCC #136- Whoo-Hoo! Whiskey and hookers on me! Seriously, drape them upon my slumbering mass.
Winner of CCC #137- Two in a row! Do you believe in Miracles?! No seriously, the hell was up with that Jackie Chan flick?
Winner of CCC #143- I'm so drunk on power now! I've sold all my tanker trucks full of Baily's Irish Creme to balance things out.
Winner of CCC #147- Comrades! Rejoice in the conquering of the bourgeois pigs with this caption of dressing down weeaboos!
Winner of CCC #164- Yes another one in the win colu... Who am I kidding? Dr. O deserves this one.
Winner of CCC#165- Victory is mine! Dudes, line up on my right for high fives. Ladies, line up on the left for make-outs.
+Quote Post
Post #452
Yaoi Huntress Earth

Came out on top
Group Icon

post Nov 12 2015, 04:06 PM
Besides, you're better off reading the Jem reboot comic anyway. I did the see The Martian last month and it is a really good movie. Matt Damon was perfect for the lead role and learning about how he survives on Mars is really interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #453
GreetingstoElites

Lamer

Member No.: 1,425

post Nov 25 2015, 08:15 PM

So I watched this film called Four Lions, a British satire about a group of tryhard edgelords who desperately want to be Islamic terrorists, but fail so miserably because they are all incredibly incompetent. It's a lot better than you think, it gave absolutely no fucks about offending anyone, it's incredibly funny to watch them fail in such spectacular fashion, and it came out in 2010, and it may still be relevant today.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #454
Yaoi Huntress Earth

Came out on top
Group Icon

post Dec 2 2015, 03:36 PM
I saw Creed with my fiance yesterday and it definitely deserves all the praise its getting. Adonis Creed is a likable character and the boxing scenes are well put together. It makes a great addition to the Rocky series as a whole.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #455
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

post Jan 22 2016, 06:25 AM
I saw The Boy a few hours ago. It was kinda decent, at least until the ending. Holy shit, that ending sucked. HAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #456
TheOneAndOnly

The world's most pissed-off snow cone

Member No.: 803

post Jan 22 2016, 09:58 AM
I wasn't expecting shit from that movie. The trailer made it look like the most generic, paint-by-numbers horror movie ever filmed. It even had the stupid "boo scare" after the title. I remember the audience in the theater I was in actually laughing at the trailer

This post has been edited by TheOneAndOnly: Jan 22 2016, 09:58 AM

--------------------
I'm the kind of guy who would spend all of his savings on lottery tickets, win the lottery, and then burn the money for his trash can fire because he lost his home betting on the lottery.
"Never poke fun at fatty fetishists unless you're willing to individually slap down 300 sweaty balls of sexual frustration and heart disease. Trust me, I used to spend a lot of time on Deviant Art."
+Quote Post
Post #457
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

post Jan 22 2016, 02:46 PM
If you ever decided to watch the movie for whatever reason, the ending will make you scream. And not in a good way. Trust me, it's probably the dumbest ending I've ever seen.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #458
Oscar Francois De Jerjaye

Tourist

Member No.: 1,452

post Jan 27 2016, 06:55 PM
Sooooooo...The Danish Girl. Yay or Nay? I say because most have implied its a SJW try hard at worst and a "Well Filmed, Well directed,Well shot film that leaves you utterly indifferent and cold" at best?
+Quote Post
Post #459
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

post Feb 11 2016, 03:21 PM
I watched Deadpool. Shit was awesome. It balanced the serious and the comedic aspects of Deadpool quite well. Though I have to admit, I was surprised the movie had a happy ending instead of a bittersweet one and that they didn't play up Deadpool's insanity all that much. I mean, there was a Deadpool comic where it turned out he never really was Wade Wilson, but even then, that part's sketchy, considering the one who said that was T-Ray, who isn't all that right in the head either. But overall, a great movie. BTW, does the movie owe more to Fabian Nicieza's run or Joe Kelly's run of Deadpool? I've only read the Joe Kelly comics.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #460
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post Feb 11 2016, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Virgil Stormblade @ Feb 12 2016, 12:21 AM) *
I watched Deadpool. Shit was awesome. It balanced the serious and the comedic aspects of Deadpool quite well. Though I have to admit, I was surprised the movie had a happy ending instead of a bittersweet one and that they didn't play up Deadpool's insanity all that much.

I watched the movie too.
I thought it was a good Deadpool movie for sure and I hope it earns his spot on the Marvel hero list.
But I also think it was not an "awesome" superhero movie.
How do I explain that...
Reynolds redeemed himself as hero actor by really doing good with how he performed Deadpool. Quite some funny jokes with him, a lot of meta humor and action.
I would also say it balanced seriousness and comedic aspects out in a way that both would then work for a movie, but I think the big issue with the movie is that when you leave out the fact that Deadpool is not your traditional hero, it was kinda generic as a movie.
It reminded me of the last Wolverine movie. Competently made with the main character as central aspect in mind, but not with any mind blowing story behind it. Also the more than generic villain did not help much. Sure, better a generic villain than going big times already (GL anyone?), and I know that Deadpool doesn't really face of many "awesome" villains in general, but Ajax was dull. As Deadpool siad it "Ajax? Isn't that a floor cleaner?"
I got quite some chuckles out of the movie, but I never found myself laughing my ass off like I did for example years ago when I saw Hulk smash Loki in the ground of Stark Tower.

I certainly would love to see more of Deadpool, but I think that a) if he gets included in the X-Men movies, he should only be used as a funny sidecharacter b) if there is a sequel coming out in the next years, he certainly needs a secondary character by his side to work as straigh man for the comedy. Cause funnily enough, Deadpool is often ties the most fun when played up against others.
In fact, the funniest scenes in the movie were actually not when Deadpool killed and fought villains, it was when he and Collosus talked with one another.
And last but ot least c) don't necessarily overdo it with him.
Deadpool in small doses is always fun.
But like with the comics, we don't need nine separate series simultaneously.

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2016 - 06:28 AM