Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spring 2016 anime
Post #21
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,599

post Apr 1 2016, 03:57 PM
So the season has kicked off with Space Patrol Luluco and Jojo. Guess what? Jojo's good and Studio Trigger made an unfunny anime. Grass is green and the sky is blue. But there is at least a few good reasons to watch Luluco. It's only around 8 minutes including the OP and ED, so it doesn't overstay its welcome for too long. And then, there's this guy.

Yeah, this guy (Over Justice) is pretty much what you think he is. And he steals the show all the way in his 1-2 minutes of screentime. And it's only the first episode. In fact, why the hell is Trigger not making an anime about this guy? He's pretty much Space Inferno Cop. And believe me, Trigger has clearly shown in Luluco that they are still capable of making Inferno Cop-style humor, so why they chose to make an anime about some generic middle school girl who wants to be normal who gets involved in things she doesn't want to do and all that crap instead of Space Inferno Cop or Inferno Cop 2 is beyond me.......Unless this is actually the stealth sequel to Inferno Cop, which means this is the Inferno Cop 2 we've been waiting for.....Fuck.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #22
Ratatoskr

Super-double-dupity squirrely

Member No.: 1,615

post Apr 10 2016, 05:43 AM
Attached Image
I kept expecting some sort of twist while I was reading this, like, the protagonist is actually just a really cool dog who goes to high school for some reason, or he's only imagining that he's cool and in actually it's a Watamote-esque cringe comedy.
But no, I've seen an episode, and the guy is really just the epitome of high school Mary Sueness.

But then again, it's Studio DEEN, so I'm not even sure what I was expecting.

I've also been started watching Bungou Stray Dogs, which looks like it's going to be a really generic "secret group with superpowers" anime. They really need to stop making those.

This post has been edited by Ratatoskr: Apr 10 2016, 05:43 AM
+Quote Post
Post #23
truthordeal

Advanced Member

Member No.: 631

post Apr 10 2016, 06:22 AM
QUOTE (Ratatoskr @ Apr 10 2016, 09:43 AM) *
Attached Image
I kept expecting some sort of twist while I was reading this, like, the protagonist is actually just a really cool dog who goes to high school for some reason, or he's only imagining that he's cool and in actually it's a Watamote-esque cringe comedy.
But no, I've seen an episode, and the guy is really just the epitome of high school Mary Sueness.

Dang, I was hoping for something similar to Cromartie High School.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #24
CobaltKori

Have I told anyone that I love this site.

Member No.: 781

post Apr 18 2016, 06:44 PM
So I've been watching Seisen Cerberus just for the hell of it and I would like to recant my statement about this looking surprisingly generic.

It's DELIGHTFULLY generic.

Seriously, this series revels in the fact that it's generic as store-brand white bread. Despite being a fantasy series with loads of races, the standard JRPG races are almost all here, catgirls included (no elves, but I'm betting a finger they'll be here soon enough), the villain is egomaniac dedicated to playing all the kingdoms of the land like fiddle for power and profit, there's an ancient evil dragon that has scorched the land, devoured souls, and killed the main hero's parents to the point where no resurrection can save them, our heroes are searching for sacred treasures and need to go on a globe-trotting adventure to find them, and of course, there's a main heroine for the hero to fall ten-thousands stories in LOUVRE with. It almost feels like there's a dartboard of fantasy cliches to hit.

So the delight comes in just how much the series does it all in genuine care, not some snarky, "LOOK HOW SUBVERSIVE I AM" meta shit that's been infesting anime recently, and still leaves room to throw a curveball with. For example, the entire first episode is essentially one entire extended gag where it makes the main hero look likes some Mary Sue-ish, Kirito-esque badass, only to turn on their heels and show how UTTERLY INCOMPETENT he is. A newborn slime nearly chokes the life out of him. The main heroine is more basic than bleach, and started a fucking pebble collection cause they are, in her words, "pretty." And is still less inept than Hiiro is.

I don't like to describe a series as "refreshing," as that implies a series has no staying power and most of the quality revolved around how shit everything related to it was, and honestly, this would be poor word choice for Cerberus. The animation is some of the worst of the season as if the entire animation crew was inspired by Dragon Ball Super's in-between frames, you can see a good chunk of the plot ahead like a fucking hawk, and Hiiro's schtick can get grating if you don't appreciate how clever the reason's for his critical competence errors are. Yet, this is a nice breeze from the sulfur fumes of every high school romance and commercial shounen anime out there.

This is some of the most fun I've had watching a D-to-C-tier anime I've had in the longest. I'm probably sticking with it for the season.

This post has been edited by CobaltKori: Apr 18 2016, 06:45 PM

--------------------
Its not every day you see someone like me. Then again, everyone IS different.

Kori's Box Of Mocks!

R.I.P.
My Laptop
2007-2013
It's a damn shame when the good times end.

QUOTE (Valkyrie @ Dec 15 2013, 02:28 PM) *
I hate making a terrible first impression. Even when you bounce back from it, it's hard to forget how much you fucked up the first time.
+Quote Post
Post #25
Kerberous

Tourist

Member No.: 1,608

post Apr 19 2016, 12:15 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by Ajin, and horribly disappointed by Ace Attorney. If I wanted to play the AA video game, I would just go and do that.

QUOTE (Ratatoskr @ Apr 10 2016, 04:43 PM) *
Attached Image

Don't know why you're blaming DEEN for adapting a crappy manga (and the stupid thing even sold numbers similar to FMA in Japan per volume).
+Quote Post
Post #26
Ratatoskr

Super-double-dupity squirrely

Member No.: 1,615

post Apr 19 2016, 12:42 PM
Because Studio DEEN has terrible taste and even worse adaptation skills.

Still, I think the prize for worst thing this season has to go to this:
Attached Image

Just look at the promo and you'll know exactly who this show is intended for:
+Quote Post
Post #27
xoxjoanxox

Not quite here, not quite there.

Member No.: 384

post May 17 2016, 07:13 AM
I think Sakamoto Desu Ga is good. Me and the boyfriend enjoy the excessive antics. Episode 3 where they work at McDonald's is particularly funny.

--------------------

QUOTE (9/13/2013 3:49:17 PM Max-Vader:)
YOU KNOW NOTHING, JOAN SNOW

QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Feb 5 2014, 05:08 AM) *
I Was the Drink: The Joan Cheng Story

QUOTE (Screaming Soulcatcher)
Joan are you the straightest shota
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 09:25 PM