Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dragon Ball Super, Because Z was already taken and GT wants to be for-goten
Post #1
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 345

post Jul 5 2015, 02:14 AM
Considering that Dragon Ball is unironically enjoyed by quite a few people on the forum and the new show premiered yesterday, I thought why not open up a thread.

So, what is DB:Super about? Set only a few years (if not even just months) after the defeat of Majin Buu, this anime tells... well okay, that is the question. What story does the anime tell aside of what Goku and the others are doing in their daily life right now? I watched the first episode, and although I did not understand a word, I got the major shtick, butnot much had happened so far. We see Goku and Co and what they do and mostly something involving Kid Trunks and Goten doing something I do not want to spoil. Also, Satan being Satan and a cameo by Beerus and Whiz, who may or may not become villains in the show? Considering the trend for alternate universes I would not be surprised if the anime decided to ignore the actual movies in parts or adapt them into the anime new

So, any expectations for this new incarnation/continuation of the story that influenced to the modern day Shonen Genre like otherwise only Jojo did?
I personally hope for a good utilization of Beerus and Whis

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

Member No.: 18

post Jul 5 2015, 03:09 AM
There's no alternate universe. This is a sequel to the movies as well.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #3
Maniak

post Jul 5 2015, 05:08 AM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Jul 5 2015, 01:09 PM) *
There's no alternate universe. This is a sequel to the movies as well.

Not quite. Pan e.g., whose birth happens in Ressurection F, is not around and the general interaction between Videl and Gohan in the episode indicates she isn't even pregnant yet. I also read up on a manga chapter that came out simultaneously. And the way it looks, the first episodes may be prequel episodes to Battle of the Gods. We get to see Beerus and Whis in the first episode already, but it looks like they don't even know about Vegeta and Son Goku yet, instead trolling and destroying other worlds. Don't get me wrong, I want this to be in continuity with the latest movies myself. But it seems (at least currently) as if they want to establish what led up to the movies, before they move on from that

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

+Quote Post
Post #4
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Jul 5 2015, 10:37 AM
Oh it's a prequel to the films? Also good, I can dig it. Besides, just means that Freeza's the final boss after all, which is also good.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #5
Maniak

post Jul 5 2015, 08:35 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Jul 5 2015, 08:37 PM) *
Oh it's a prequel to the films? Also good, I can dig it. Besides, just means that Freeza's the final boss after all, which is also good.

Agree. Still, with only one episode out (And some clip that actually showed Beerus meeting either a second one of his kind or an AU version of himself) I think I am waiting now for a couple of weeks till more is out so I can judge on a general basis what is going on.
BTW, the opening? No Cha la head cha la unfortunately.
In fact, it is surprisingly... "calm" for something associated with Dragon Ball

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #6
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Jul 13 2015, 01:06 AM
So it looks like DB Super's first arc is gonna be an expanded retelling of Battle of Gods.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #7
Maniak

post Jul 19 2015, 11:22 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Jul 13 2015, 11:06 AM) *
So it looks like DB Super's first arc is gonna be an expanded retelling of Battle of Gods.

Based on what I saw in the latest episode, confirmed.
Goku is right now training on King Kai's planet Beerus wants to look for the Super Saiyan God to fight and Bulma hosts a party where everyone is invited.
Main differences being in details e.g. how Bulma is hosting the party this time on a giant cruise ship.
So, does that mean we may get an expanded retelling of Ressurection F down the line too? If so, I am actually okay with that.

Spoiler for Ressurection F:
Mostly because I thought that while Ressurection F is an okay movie for giving people what they basically want (Freeza returning and Goku and him nuking it out once more) I thought it felt also quite underwhelming or had a few missed opportunities as a result of being only a 90 minute long movie. E.g. while Freeza states he wants to get back to earth in order to defeat Goku and the one Saiyan who killed him as a Cyborg (Trunks) , he never meets Trunks, learns of his connection to Vegeta or comes close to do anything connected to him. I would have also loved to see Freeza's training and seeing how the movie trailers made it look like Freeza is starting a grand invasion of earth (which is reduced more into a glorified yet entertaining 15 minutes curbstomp battle of the mocks by the Z fighters) , him actually taking a strong hold on earth before Goku can arrive to do anything would have been awesome and should be easily done in a show version. Don't know how others may think about it, I am mostly thinking that way because I am a strong believer in the concept that if you bring back a great villain from the dead or a long absence, you should make people remember why said villain was a threat to begin with, not by depending on the villain's credit form the past, but by showing he can still kick ass. And while Ressurection F showed that Freeza is still the cold hearted, sadistic bastard worth the title Emperor of Evil AND that he can still hold up to Goku if he wants to, I thought his defeat was a bit less satisfying than back in DBZ, because even with his training, he couldn't hold up to Goku in a long run.

This post has been edited by Maniak: Jul 19 2015, 11:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #8
Maniak

post Dec 27 2015, 10:31 PM
I bring this up again for a couple of reasons:

1. I want to rant a bit about the animation quality of the show, cause damn has it a tendency to look stiff in parts.
Seriously, the show is 24 episodes in by now and some shots look really, REALLY bad in some parts.
As in characters look kinda off model in terms of the face or Son Goku's arm will in some parts show muscle where there supposedly isn't some anatomically to begin with. Or it just looks too beefed up. Hard to really explain as it is not as bad as lets say Sailor Moon Crystal, but there was e.g. quite some outrage about the episode featuring Beerus and Mega Saiyajin Goku fighting at one point because it really didn't look good.

2. They have started to adap the Ressurection F plotline in episode form. And it is AMAZING!
Kinda.
Okay, it as a couple of hiccups here and there (e.g. unlike in the movie, we don't get an expanded scene of the Z fighters kicking the asses of all of Freeza's soldiers the way it was in the movie. They still kick some minions but not to the extend we got on the big screen, which was one of the highlights of the movie) but many things about Freeza in the retelling are like eating something sweet on christmas eve.
Freeza is a pure monster again. He didn't just kill Tagoma, he broke his mind and turned him into a sadist on his level for daring to indicate they should just ignore Goku. when he sees the Z-fighters, he spends his time torturing them just because he thinks it is more fun before Goku arrives and reminiscences about the good times he had blowing up Krillin. He tortures Gohan by putting multiple holes through his body and kills Picollo, while having a PTSD like flashback about the time Goku showed mercy on him on Namen, showcasing just how much crazier he got

They expanded on Freeza in all the right ways, to the point he even gets a couple of funny moments. Including his reaction, when a certain someone from Z we never expected to return actually comes back to help him. So any Freeza Fan out there may get something out of Super now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #9
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

Member No.: 1,599

post Dec 28 2015, 12:00 AM
I'll admit, the more I see Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and compare them to Super, the more I'm preferring Super over those movies. True, I love those movies, but the way Super executed moments from those films feels a lot more superb. True, the animation is, sometimes, left to be desired, but I do prefer how Super showed the power gap between Goku and Beerus when they fought on King Kai's planet (animation quality aside), or how Beerus first fought Majin Buu.

But I think my favorites so far are when Vegeta goes SS2 and the space portion of SSG Goku vs Beerus. The fact that SS2 Vegeta somehow hurt Beerus in the movie rubbed me the wrong way, so having Beerus be instead surprised at SS2 Vegeta's power while not being hurt was an improvement. Also, I love the scene where Beerus knocks Goku in a plateau, and just wailing at him. It gives a nice touch to Beerus' character.And I'm loving how Frieza's being portrayed in Super. While Resurrection F's Frieza was spot-on, Super went above and beyond that.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #10
Darth Nightmaricus

Tourist

Member No.: 1,522

post Oct 1 2016, 03:58 PM
Sorry to necro this thread...

Goku Black is...an interesting villain, to say the least.

Zamasu swapped bodies with another timeline's Goku. So we have Zamasu as Goku Black and Zamasu from Future Trunks's timeline teaming up.
+Quote Post
Post #11
Kerberous

Tourist

Member No.: 1,608

post Oct 2 2016, 07:41 AM
Goku has not kissed his wife. I feel like they're trying to give the abridged guys more material to work with.
+Quote Post
Post #12
Darth Nightmaricus

Tourist

post Oct 2 2016, 08:13 AM
Eh, that's not something Toei does.

On the other hand, Funimation and TFS get along VERY well.

Xenoverse's English release had a lot of DBZA references. Kai's dub had a few as well.

This post has been edited by Darth Nightmaricus: Oct 2 2016, 08:14 AM
+Quote Post
Post #13
Darth Nightmaricus

Tourist

post Oct 4 2016, 12:11 PM
Wait....

Future Zamasu wished for immortality.

Garlic Jr. wished for immortality.

Both are indestructible.

Is Zamasu gonna get Garlic Jr.'d? (opens portal to another dimension, ends up trapped in said dimension)
+Quote Post
Post #14
NiGHTS Noob

Ys VIII Hell Yeah!

Member No.: 210

post Oct 15 2016, 06:58 PM
So my friend and I guessed Mafuba last week as the answer to all this shit, and I just knew they'd have Roshi teach it somehow even though it would make much more sense to have Piccolo teach it but Toriyama probably forgot Piccolo can do it.

--------------------
QUOTE (Some dude at Mangafox)
Did I mention that one time I hacked into the CIA's central files using only an NES and a Power Glove? Yep, that was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Post #15
Darth Nightmaricus

Tourist

post Nov 13 2016, 11:12 AM

He's dead. Deader than dead. RIP Zamasu.
+Quote Post
Post #16
Kerberous

Tourist

Member No.: 1,608

post Nov 22 2016, 03:02 PM
He left us too early. Evil Jesus will be forever missed. At least until they fight evil Jesus in Drifters.
+Quote Post
Post #17
Darth Nightmaricus

Tourist

post Nov 23 2016, 11:05 AM
Anyone wanna ban this spambot?

Seriously, fuck that thing...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 02:35 PM