Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Mobile Suit Gundam General Thread
Post #1
SeinenNinja

Macross Delta. Slightly Disappointed.
Group Icon

Group: AFTERholics
From: In the shadows of the forum, planning your demise...
Member No.: 722

post Oct 11 2014, 11:35 AM
So since we have two Gundam shows out out this fall season (Yoshiyuki Tomino's Reconguista in G and Build Fighters Try, the sequel to Build Fighters) and the news that Right Stuf International will be partnering up with Sunrise to distribute older Gundam shows back to the US, I thought that we should have a general Gundam thread for news and thoughts.

So far, no one is streaming G-Reco or BFT here in America, but Sunrise said that they are now working on a US distributor for at least G-Reco. And Right Stuf will be releasing the original series and Turn A Gundam as their first releases in this deal.

Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
KingMan

Dedicated Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 745

post Oct 11 2014, 12:37 PM
I hope they eventually release G Gundam, that show was awesome... and it was the only Gundam series I've seen from beginning to end.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #3
shiroamasa

Greetings, Project After-san.

Member No.: 340

post Oct 11 2014, 05:03 PM
I hope they release ZZ Gundam or Gundam X.

--------------------
"GAAAAAAAAAAME!" -HCBailly

"I'm HCBailly, and my cat is sleeping on my subwoofer." -HCBailly, playing Final Fantasy 3/6

"SURPRISE FISH!" - Deceased Crab

"Whoa, dude! Want some pizza with your brain arms?" Retsupurae, on Quadraxis14's LP of Contra 3

"How rude!" HCBailly, playing Secret of Mana.

+Quote Post
Post #4
SeinenNinja

Group Icon

post Oct 11 2014, 06:47 PM
QUOTE (shiroamasa @ Oct 11 2014, 09:03 PM) *
I hope they release ZZ Gundam or Gundam X.

Speaking of Gundam ZZ, that was announced that it will be also released by Right Stuf.

But I do agree with ya on Gundam X. This show needs to have a release.
+Quote Post
Post #5
LordYAM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 444

post Oct 13 2014, 12:21 AM
QUOTE (SeinenNinja @ Oct 11 2014, 07:47 PM) *
Speaking of Gundam ZZ, that was announced that it will be also released by Right Stuf.

But I do agree with ya on Gundam X. This show needs to have a release.

ZZ's a weird one. On one hand the protagonist is actually a likable human being rather than an angsty bitch, the villain was cool and badass despite being creepy (look Haman, I get that you're attracted to the kid because you're shocked that someone can actually be genuinely idealistic and kind/he reminds you of yourself before you became bitter and evil, but you're 22 and he's 14. That's all kinds of wrong.) and a really likable supporting cast (well mostly likable. Roux and Elie are examples of doing strong likable female characters done WELL). On the other hand, the comedy was really jarring, it only really got good halfway through (though when it was good it was great, just watch Dublin and Dhakar) and again, there were creepy elements (Puru probably inspired lolicons for a very long time, marring what was actually an interesting character, the villain is in love with the hero despite the fact that he's 14 years old and she's 8 years older, and Glemmy's.....well just watch the scenes with him and Leina. Then consider that she's 10 years old and he's making her wear dresses. sick.gif

On the plus side, elements of ZZ made it into Unicorn (basically Marida is one of Glemmy's Puru clones that survived the final battle at the end) and even die hard haters have warmed up a little.
+Quote Post
Post #6
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Oct 13 2014, 02:15 AM
Holy shit, we're finally getting Turn A Gundam in the US?! I used to wonder why that series hadn't been licensed circa 2005. Man, never expected that would actually make it over here. I don't even know if the show is any good or not, but I sort of feel obligated to check it out after waiting so long to see it.

--------------------

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #7
CuChulainn1290

A very angry goose, clad in orange

Member No.: 520

post Oct 14 2014, 09:25 PM
So, I decided to watch the first three episodes of G-Reco and the first episode of Gundam Build Fighters TRY tonight.

G-Reco is rather interesting, for what it's worth. It has that kind of retro UC-style (which is fitting, since G-Reco takes place some time AFTER the UC Gundam series) that also tries to play around with UC tropes, especially when it comes to mech battles. I don't know if it'll be different once we start seeing more of the plot and what the Gundam can do, but we'll see what happens.

TRY is definitely Build Fighters 2.0. You'll be happy to know that, despite being a sequel to Build Fighters in every way, the main Gunpla is from a different series, more or less, and it's definitely going to get more hot-blooded. And of course, everyone's favorite Blue Nova is still around, looking much like he did before despite the timeskip. It was only one episode, but I definitely want to see more.

--------------------
"I am the bone of my snark...
Courage is my body,
and logic is my blood.
I have read over a thousand fanfics.
Unknown to love,
Nor known to hate,
Have withstood great mindscrews to read many fanfics...
Yet those eyes will never see anything again...
So hear me, as I pray...
UNLIMITED MOCK WORKS!"

QUOTE (Truth)
"Who am I? One name you might have for me is the world, or you might call me the universe, or perhaps God, or perhaps the Truth. I am All, and I am One. So, of course, this also means that I am you. I am the truth of your despair, the inescapable price of your boastfulness."

Current Mocks

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4: Misty Storyline (DISCONTINUED)

The War of Megazords VS Gundams (ON HIATUS: 4/27 Complete)

Ultima: The Crossing of Universes (ON HIATUS: 5/45 Complete)

World League of Cartoon Quidditch (In Progress: 4/74 Complete)

LPs

Let's Play SD Gundam G Generation Overworld! (Current Mission: A-2)
+Quote Post
Post #8
SeinenNinja

Group Icon

post Jul 3 2015, 02:42 PM
Anime Expo 2015, Right Stuf. announced that they will have the original Gundam series released on Blu-Ray as their second Blu-Ray release behind Utena.

Also they are releasing (with the existing dubs if they have them):
Turn A Gundam Compliation Movies
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (Never before seen officially in the U.S., last Universal Century series to have a official release here)
After War Gundam X (Never before seen officially in the U.S., finally gets the release it deserves)

And also Sunrise is doing a countdown on a new Gundam series in production.

This post has been edited by SeinenNinja: Jul 3 2015, 02:44 PM
+Quote Post
Post #9
SeinenNinja

Group Icon

post Jul 14 2015, 08:43 PM
New Gundam, coming soon. The Iron-Blooded Orphans:

This post has been edited by SeinenNinja: Jul 14 2015, 08:44 PM
+Quote Post
Post #10
Geth N7

Regular

Member No.: 992

post Jul 15 2015, 07:43 AM
As a mecha sperg, let me give a small breakdown on the Gundam shows based on whether they are watch worthy:

Original: Not bad, hasn't aged well. Still a good watch.

08th MS Team: Not bad at all IMO.

Gundam 0080: Tiny sidestory, worth a once over.

Gundam 0083: Aside from the idiotic love triangle and questionable ending (great, make me hate most of the otherwise likable cast at the end), not bad.

Zeta Gundam: Classic, watch the movie versions if you want most of the emo excised, but this is generally good.

ZZ: Oddball. Good from second half onwards, had some creepy pedobait, but otherwise was decent when the rough edges were filed off.

Chars Counterattack: Nice ending to the UC series.

Unicorn: Felt a bit unnecessary IMO, but had good production values and told a decent plot. YMMV on it since it definitely makes ZZ canon (if you didn't like it).

F91: Was a movie condensed from what should have been a series, but not hideous despite that.

Crossbone: Quite good, manga only, but still quite good.

Victory: Depressing as hell. Great plot, but watch something cheerful in-between episodes if you have to watch this.

Turn A: Not too shabby if you can get past the weird Gundam designs.

Gundam X: I liked this.

G Gundam: It's silly as hell, but I loved it anyway.

Gundam Wing: If you can get past all the political spergery and homoerotic subtext, it's not bad at all.

Gundam Wing Movie: Felt like more of the same in some ways, but worth a watch.

Gundam SEED: Decent.

Gundam SEED Destiny: Absolute shit. There is a VERY GOOD reason Super Robot Wars games basically rewrite massive chunks of the plot every time they adapt this.

Gundam SEED Destiny Stargazer: The main series sucks ass, but this is quite watchable.

Gundam 00 (S1): Quite good.

Gundam 00 (S2): Still quite good, gets a little stupid towards the end, but don't regret watching it.

Gundam 00 Movie: Torn. Not pisspoor, but I felt the series ended nicely on the second season.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #11
Jack of Blades

This is far from the Strongest of Swords!

Member No.: 305

post Jul 15 2015, 02:27 PM
Is it odd I agree with you completely geth?

--------------------
Being so evil that they trapped me in a mask is somehow fun.

You can think you're right all you want, we're both wrong.
+Quote Post
Post #12
Meta Knight

Ouch.

Member No.: 792

post Nov 30 2015, 02:11 PM
So anyone else been watching the new Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans?

I am and I been enjoying it so far despite the slow start of the first two episodes. It's also been a few years since I watched a Gundam series entirely so I suppose that's saying something. Some if not most of the characters are good and the supporting characters like Akihiro do get a decent amount of spotlight too (also he's known as the "Guts" in this series, well at least some people see it that way along with myself). I also really like how the mechas are hand drawn, these animators get some respect.

--------------------

"You don't need to bang someone to appreciate the intrinsic differences between each sex."
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2017 - 01:21 PM