Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The New Berserk Thread, Because goddamn it, it deserves a new one
Post #1
Jackson_Fall

#LiberateTheLongneck

Group: Members
Member No.: 709

post Aug 28 2012, 08:18 PM
OK. After discovering that the current Berserk thread on PA is over six years old and hasn't been posted on since, I contacted the Master about it, and he said that I should probably just start a new one. So I have.

Anyway, seeing as how the series has advanced over six years without discussion here (that I'm aware of anyway) what are some thoughts on some of the more recent chapters?

--------------------

#MaxLivesMatter
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Sep 5 2012, 11:47 PM
Goddamn it, guys.

Regrettably, I can't contribute much to a discussion about the more recent chapters since I never progressed too far beyond the early volumes. Actually, though, now that I have a bigger bookshelf, I plan to expand my physical manga collection a bit—starting with Berserk. It'll be awhile before I get anywhere near the latest releases, but the snail's pace at which new chapters come out at least means I have a chance of catching up someday.

Berserk as a whole is an incredible series. For a manga that tries this damn hard to desensitize its audience as early as possible, it's amazing how each new volume continues to shock and surprise. Unlike similar blood-and-gore-coated comics on both sides of the Pacific, however, Berserk uses its abundant supply of graphic violence smartly, creating a uniquely dark and strangely real atmosphere that captures your attention as well as your imagination. It's definitely one of my favorites.

--------------------

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #3
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

Member No.: 18

post Sep 5 2012, 11:55 PM
I didn't even notice this thread...

As much as I fucking love Berserk, I haven't read it in a long while. Miura is so damn slow with the updates (understandably, considering he's doing all this hyper-detailed shit himself... and taking lots of breaks to play Idolmaster) I tend to step away from Berserk for awhile, then come back and catch up on everything, rinse, repeat.

New movie's coming out soon, though, so I'm stoked.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #4
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Sep 5 2012, 11:58 PM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Sep 6 2012, 12:55 AM) *
New movie's coming out soon, though, so I'm stoked.

H'oh? I hadn't heard about a movie...

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #5
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Sep 6 2012, 01:42 AM

Gonna be the first in a series of films. And here's what Miura had to say:

I never expected to be blessed with another chance at a video adaptation. The old anime version of Berserk was where we received our first widespread recognition. 14 years on, I think the new movie will be greeted as a perfection of that vision by fans and movie watchers alike.

14 years ago my skills were crude, and I was frantically working to keep the serialization going (don’t say anything!). Added to that, back then Japan had no Amazon and hardly any Internet – for a rookie mangaka there was virtually no way to get details on medieval armour and history. I used my “Excalibur” movie pamphlet until it was ragged.
Times have moved on – now we are in the information age, and we have CG as well! I’m confident that this time around the movie will attain levels of visual accomplishment I could never have achieved back then.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #6
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Sep 7 2012, 04:57 AM
Very cool! Nice to see some new Berserk animation with a big ol' theatrical budget behind it. It sounds like they got Susumu Hirasawa on board to compose the soundtrack as well, which I'm very okay with.

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like the bulk of the OST is being composed by somebody else, with Hirasawa only doing the main theme song. Still neat that he's involved in the project, at any rate.

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #7
Badass Overlord

The Unsevered

Member No.: 235

post Sep 7 2012, 05:09 AM
I actually haven't been reading much Berserk lately. The last chapter I read was right when they left the mermaid island place after defeating that giant octopus/fish thing and they were on their way to meet the Fairy King.

--------------------
The Warring Triad
"Patience and penance. For millenia I have yearned to inact this vengeance! I am the end and the beginning! By my touch shall your wretched lives be blessed!" - Sephirot, the Fiend
"The unenlightened come...know you the full weight of death. Come forth, Scales of Revelation! I would know the weight of your souls. Can you bring... equilibrium?" - Sophia the Goddess
"Mine age of slumber is at an end. A thousand thousand suns may set, but the insult of mine imprisonment hath been etched upon mine eternal memory. I am come to mete out justice. To bestow the blessings of victory unending. I am Zurvan. He who standeth above all other gods. He who shall bring slaughter and ruin!" - Zurvan, the Demon
+Quote Post
Post #8
Tonfa

Bob n' weave!

Member No.: 445

post Sep 7 2012, 06:43 AM
Great thing about the new OVA is that it's definitely getting localized for North America!

At least from what I picked up at Otakon anyway (not sure if its going for a retail or a NEON ALLEY exclusive though).

--------------------
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Sep 25 2011, 09:32 PM)
If James Hetfield does a guest spot in My Little Pony I will eat my underwear. Live over Skype.

"What’s the purpose of meeting with each other when we already agree? Find someone who disagrees and invite them to your table. Invite your enemy to talk. Give them a platform to talk because then they will reciprocate. Invite your enemies to sit down and join you. You never know; some small thing you say might give them food for thought, and you will learn from them. Establish dialogue. It’s when the talking stops that the ground becomes fertile for fighting." -- Daryl Davis
+Quote Post
Post #9
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post Sep 7 2012, 07:24 AM
I am surprised the movie is now "news". In fact the first of three had been released last year and they work on english subs and the second one already came out this year already or comes out in the next few months.
Yeah, based on what is said, they make the Golden Age Arc a big triology with the second movie dealing with Guts leaving the Hawks and Griffith... well, we know it.
change that, I mena the most awesome battle of the story arc.

This post has been edited by Maniak: Sep 7 2012, 07:25 AM

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post
Post #10
NiGHTS Noob

Ys VIII Hell Yeah!

Member No.: 210

post Sep 7 2012, 12:22 PM
QUOTE (Badass Overlord @ Sep 7 2012, 09:09 AM) *
I actually haven't been reading much Berserk lately. The last chapter I read was right when they left the mermaid island place after defeating that giant octopus/fish thing and they were on their way to meet the Fairy King.

Just a tiny flashback arc after that actually.

--------------------
QUOTE (Some dude at Mangafox)
Did I mention that one time I hacked into the CIA's central files using only an NES and a Power Glove? Yep, that was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Post #11
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Oct 19 2012, 12:19 AM
Rereading this manga from the beginning has been a trip. Even though I held onto most of the story details, it's easy to forget how fucking intense Berserk can be when you're actually reading it. Very few comics I've read are anywhere near as arresting at this. Kentaro Miura is obviously an extremely disturbed individual, but the man is an artist in the truest sense of the word.

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #12
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Oct 19 2012, 12:22 AM
You just finished the Golden Age arc, didn't you?

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #13
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Oct 19 2012, 12:43 AM
Not quite there yet. Having seen bits and pieces of the anime, however, I have a vague idea of what I'm in for...

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #14
Deffboss

Member No.: 797

post Jan 14 2013, 09:39 AM
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Oct 19 2012, 01:43 AM) *
Not quite there yet. Having seen bits and pieces of the anime, however, I have a vague idea of what I'm in for...

The funny part was people that were surprised because the anime cut out a couple of important events from the manga and so much rage was born from it when they saw the anime ending.

This post has been edited by Deffboss: Jan 14 2013, 09:40 AM
+Quote Post
Post #15
Maniak

post Feb 15 2013, 03:23 AM
I just read up on the Sea God storyarc. Was pretty entertaining. And thank god the Boyhood storyarc was only two chapters

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

+Quote Post
Post #16
P Dot Alex

Dumb jokes

Member No.: 373

post Jun 23 2015, 04:08 AM
Bumping a two year old thread - even though all that's happened since then was that Rickert moved to Falconia and bitchslapped Griffith right in front of his cronies - since oh my god that's all i currently got on my mind right now

I don't even know where to start - even though I'm almost through with it for the second time, the sheer improvement of the art's quality still gives me an erection. The whole fight against Ganishka feels more like an art exhibition with how hyper detailed everything is, and just the thought of how Falconia tops even that makes sure my stiffy ain't subsiding anytime soon.

But my. Fucking. GAWD, Miura, what's fucking taking you so long? Do you need a break from the cash flow? Do you plan to let Guts off the goddamn boat anytime this century? I swear, my thirst for new Berserk material is so intense I'm tempted to buy all the manga volumes in German and start all over AGAIN.

--------------------
I got one of these. C'mon, don't be shy.

"I am very edgy" - Dakari King Mykan.
+Quote Post
Post #17
P Dot Alex

Dumb jokes

post Jul 7 2015, 11:53 AM
Bumping this thread again to tell all the lovely people that aren't in the Skype chat that Berserk is continuing on July 24th as well as that there's the possibility of a monthly release schedule. I'm saying "possibility" because two reliable sources confirmed the new chapter, but only one brought up the "monthly" bit.

Still, maybe now we'll finally reach Elfheim.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #18
Maniak

post Jul 7 2015, 12:53 PM
QUOTE (P Dot Alex @ Jul 7 2015, 09:53 PM) *
Bumping this thread again to tell all the lovely people that aren't in the Skype chat that Berserk is continuing on July 24th as well as that there's the possibility of a monthly release schedule. I'm saying "possibility" because two reliable sources confirmed the new chapter, but only one brought up the "monthly" bit.

Still, maybe now we'll finally reach Elfheim.

Lets hope so. It has been 3 years since I got the latest volume of it for my shelf, I wish for another one to buy before I turn 35.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #19
P Dot Alex

Dumb jokes

post Jul 7 2015, 12:55 PM
He'll probably release three chapters before all of the sudden deciding he's lost his muse again and everyone will curse him for being one chapter short.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #20
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Jul 7 2015, 05:26 PM
CALL ME WHEN THEY GET OFF THE FUCKING BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2017 - 11:50 PM