Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Piece, We are!
Post #21
SSJ Heero

Vault Dweller

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

post Sep 8 2005, 12:08 AM
I got a demo for One Piece: Grand Battle in the latest issue of OPM. It's pretty fun, but the battle system is really simplistic, like Naruttimetto Hero or DBZ Budokai. The voices are annoying, as usual, but all the cool animations for the crazy attacks are there.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #22
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Sep 8 2005, 01:42 AM
I actually saw a review of OP: Grand Battle on X-Play today, and the entire review basically boiled down to "It's fun for an hour or two, maybe longer if you're huge into the show." Looking at the game in motion, it reminded me a lot of a dumbed-down version of Power Stone, with slightly better graphics. And considering that Power Stone was a pretty simplified game to begin with...

But yeah, amidst the peppy theme music and the monotone yapping of Morgan Webb, I could clearly hear he dub voices of the characters, and that's really when the thought of buying the game got mentally filed in the "Fuck That" folder. Perhaps I'll rent it just for the sake of saying I've played it, but there's no way the game is making its way into my collection on a permanent basis.

--------------------

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #23
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

Member No.: 5

post Sep 8 2005, 08:07 AM
I've played Grand Battle: Rush in its original Japanese, and I have no idea how much the two are similar, but I really enjoyed playing it a lot. Then again, it had the original voices, for a start.

I'm also planning on picking up Fighting For One Piece, which is looking to rock multiple types of asses.

And in other news, a new chapter came out today and its rockage counts as insanity. God I love this series.

Done now.
+Quote Post
Post #24
Jabberwocky

yep

Member No.: 24

post Sep 10 2005, 12:39 PM
My brother got that game... they changed Smoker's name to Chaser. 'Cause he chases Luffy and stuffz0rz olololololol!!!111 I actually wish they would have opted for something like "Cloudy."

Also, my brother either needs to turn it down or quit losing to Nami because I'm tired of hearing "HEY ZOLO!" every three minutes.
+Quote Post
Post #25
SSJ Heero

Vault Dweller

post Sep 10 2005, 01:48 PM
Well, they changed Sanji's cigarette to a lollypop, how could Smoker's cigar survive? Wait, that's bad, since his Devil Fruit power is his smoke...

And yeah, Grand Battle's a pretty weak fighting game. It doesn't have the depth of games like Soul Calibur, nor does it have the crazy intense fun of Power Stone.

This post has been edited by SSJ Heero: Sep 10 2005, 01:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #26
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

Member No.: 18

post Sep 12 2005, 06:15 PM
4Kids has obviously infected the One Piece Wikipedia section, as well, in the form of an uptight dickhead going by the the manly name "WhisperToMe". This, people, is a man who single handedly combs the One Piece articles, changing all japanese version references to dub ones, while simultaneously talking down to anyone using the name "Zoro", for instance.

If he were a wikipedia staff member, I could understand, but this guy who devotes hours of his every day to doing this.

Somebody shoot me. This guy's so pathetic he actually pisses me off over it. Fucker needs to get an actually fucking hobby.

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Sep 12 2005, 06:21 PM

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
+Quote Post
Post #27
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Sep 12 2005, 06:47 PM
"Dammit, I'll never get laid, and I'm all out of hand lotion! Oh well, guess I'll spend the night scouring public information sites for references to the Japanese versions of various anime series, then alter them to match the dub as a public service to little kids who've never seen the subtitled versions... Maybe that will make the hurting stop."

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #28
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Sep 12 2005, 06:59 PM
Just file him under the many, many factors trying to ruin One Piece for me.

The dub is unwatchable, K-F has fucked up my experience of the japanese versions, the One Piece fan collective is annoying to talk to, and everyone else in between is a dick.

Why does such a good series attract such annoying mother fuckers?

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #29
Malheidsman

Very tired of being a Magical Schoolgirl

Member No.: 11

post Sep 12 2005, 09:40 PM
.... You've got us....? happy.gif

--------------------
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

- chant from a children's game
heard in Great Aravalon,
the Fourth Age
+Quote Post
Post #30
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Sep 13 2005, 06:34 AM
Overall, I'd say the One Piece fandom is the overall nicest and most intelligent fandom of almost any manga or anime series out there. That's saying something. Maybe you're just hanging out in the wrong places.

And honestly, you know I agree with you overall, but looking over one or two words when watching shouldn't harm you duely. Otherwise you could always buy or download the HK bootlegs.

And who cares about Wikipedia, anyway?
+Quote Post
Post #31
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Sep 13 2005, 11:52 AM
That's the fandom's problem; they're too nice. Don't you dare say one bad word about anything at any time! If you're even one iota unsupportive of someone's cosplay habit, or K-F in all their "glory", you have angered the horde and must be destroyed. It's like some freaky sci-fi movie where a guy is taken to a world where everything's perfect, but when he doesn't want protection, all the people turn into monsters and try to kill him.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #32
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Sep 13 2005, 01:33 PM
Well, then you've definitely been going to the wrong places. Most OP fans I've talked to were very open to criticism, fun to talk to, and generally not retards. A large part of the intellectual ones in the group actually agreed with my stance on not translating words.
+Quote Post
Post #33
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Sep 13 2005, 03:12 PM
I've gone to ARlong Park; arguably the biggest gathering place for OP fans. Sure, there were, like, 5 decent people, but that's 5 out of hundreds of members.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #34
TigerEyes

City Hunter!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23

post Sep 17 2005, 06:40 PM
My brother got that game... they changed Smoker's name to Chaser. 'Cause he chases Luffy and stuffz0rz olololololol!!!111 I actually wish they would have opted for something like "Cloudy."

Well, they changed Sanji's cigarette to a lollypop, how could Smoker's cigar survive? Wait, that's bad, since his Devil Fruit power is his smoke...

I actually watched the dub today, out of morbid curiosity, just to see where they were in the storyline. It turns out that they were in Gold Roger's hometown, so Smoker was in the episode. Just like in that game you mentioned, he's called "Chaser" now. Yeesh, and we all thought that "Zolo" was bad enough as it was...

That's not even the weirdest part about it, though. Oh no. For some reason, even though they cut out his cigars and changed his name, smoke was still constantly coming out of his mouth. I simply cannot comprehend why they changed his name if they were going to leave in the smoke, and therefore, his power. ESPECIALLY the smoke, though. I just don't understand...

--------------------
“All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”

- T.E. Lawrence.

"Know pain, no gain. No pain, know gain."
+Quote Post
Post #35
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Sep 18 2005, 01:23 AM
It's called lazy editing. It's comparable to the infamous scene in DBZ where Dende's brother is clearly showed getting blown up, but the villains are all "Nuts, he got away!"

In non-dubbed One Piece news, I finally got the cash together to order the 11th set of the wonderful, funderful HK subs. This set will plunge the story further into Skypiea, which is awesome since that arc was just starting to get good when the 10th set came to an end. And it looks like we're finally going to get to see Robin fight... Whoo!

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #36
Malheidsman

Very tired of being a Magical Schoolgirl

Member No.: 11

post Sep 18 2005, 10:20 AM
Wait, they did what? How does that even look with those cigars cut out? :S I mean, is there some white void between his mouth and the smoke or something?

Post pics if you can please. mellow.gif

--------------------
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

- chant from a children's game
heard in Great Aravalon,
the Fourth Age
+Quote Post
Post #37
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Sep 18 2005, 10:39 AM
The One and Only One Piece Edits Site should help you there, Malheidsman.
+Quote Post
Post #38
SSJ Heero

Vault Dweller

post Sep 18 2005, 04:45 PM
...Wow... A total of 32 episodes worth of animation had been cut out. Toei really needs to make better contracts with American companies, like how Gainax refuses to allow Eva being aired in America unless it's unedited.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #39
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Sep 18 2005, 05:32 PM

"Hey folks, I'm Chaser. I just ate a big bowl of really spicy chili. Also, I have lockjaw."

--------------------

— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #40
SSJ Heero

Vault Dweller

post Sep 18 2005, 06:32 PM
4kids really needs to stop getting the violent, bloody, mature-themes abound anime. Think of all the money they'd save by cutting out all the editors and getting a nice, kid-friendly anime, like their company name explicitly states. Like, I dunno, Hamtaro. Astroboy. RE: Cutey Honey. Y'know, nice, family-friendly anime like those.

--------------------
+Quote Post

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2017 - 10:16 PM