Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Piece, We are!
Post #1
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

post Aug 25 2005, 02:21 AM
Here's the topic centering around one of the greatest anime series ever, fools! One Piece, bitches!

So, I hear 4Kids skipped Warship island and went right to the start of Baroque Works. So, basically, if you were to watch someone peel a potato, that is what 4Kids will be doing to my soul; the closer they get to Crocodile, the more of my soul is peeled away.

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
Dude, do my a favor and get go away. Please?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

Member No.: 5

post Aug 25 2005, 07:39 AM
Those who know me know that I firmly believe One Piece is the greatest series ever created since mankind decided to be a bitch and climbed down from the trees.

Words cannot describe my love for this series. What's even more amazing is that even going strong at 38 volumes, this series doesn't seem to lose any of its momentum. On the contrary, it seems to grow better and better all the time, which is an astounding achievement. The ''Water 7'' arc is so far my alltime favourite arc in the entire series, and that's saying a lot, really. And yet, each chapter seems to be more awesome than the previous. The latest chapter had me lolling into fangasms.

The anime is less spectacular, but like Shmeckie said, still one of the best. The only problem I have with the anime is that it has faults. And I can firmly say I believe the manga has none. Even so, the Water 7 arc is amazing in animation, too. The fact the overall quality of the animation in One Piece took a huge jump upwards after the Skypiea Arc doesn't hurt, either.

Okay, I've said my piece. Now you guys should stop being bitches and actually read the manga or some such shit, so I can actually talk about Water 7 without spoiling the crap out of everybody constantly.

This post has been edited by Dai Ou: Aug 25 2005, 07:40 AM
+Quote Post
Post #3
Mr. Scolex

El Swank

Member No.: 27

post Aug 25 2005, 10:07 AM
i enjoy the manga one Piece, and sometimes even the japanese version of the show, but i simply cannot stand the horror that is the english dub. everyone's voice, are both annoying as hell, and completely wrong for the charcter.
+Quote Post
Post #4
Malheidsman

Very tired of being a Magical Schoolgirl

Member No.: 11

post Aug 26 2005, 12:18 AM
Hey, new guy, welcome! smile.gif Don't worry, the dub makes all of us kill 4Kids too. happy.gif

Dai, don't you DARE talk about the Water 7 Arc! I always hearing people saying it's the best they've seen, but I'm just at episode 158 dammit (somewhere in the Skypiea Arc)! It's been quite a while since the last episode was released, and since the fansubbers announced that it'll be a tuff year for them at school I'm guessing I'll see a whole lot less OP this year than I'm used too..... :'( <-- we should have this smilie

This post has been edited by Malheidsman: Aug 26 2005, 12:18 AM

--------------------
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

- chant from a children's game
heard in Great Aravalon,
the Fourth Age
+Quote Post
Post #5
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Aug 26 2005, 06:49 AM
You could read the manga...

Yeah, like that'd happen. Anyway, you could always have fun and skip the Skypiea arc and go immediately to Gerusama's fansubs, who's doing the Water 7 Arc (Plus Davy Back Fight). Well, that'd mean skipping quite a few pivotal plot points, a great story and the best filler arc in the series, but hey.

But I'm guessing you won't choose that path.

Problem is, Water 7 starts around episode 227, which is like a hundred episodes from where you are now. Doing quick calculations, that would mean like two years before Kaizoku-Fansubs gets there. If you're lucky.
+Quote Post
Post #6
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Aug 26 2005, 10:21 AM
There's another fansub group who's currently at 100-something. Check the Arlong Park forums, they link to 'em. K-F has almost caught up with that subber, and when they do, I'm dropping K-F like a bad habit. Which they are. With their bakas, and yoshes, and stupid nakama bullshit.

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Aug 26 2005, 10:21 AM

--------------------

They say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I think "being offended" is the last refuge of a small mind.
~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #7
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Aug 26 2005, 10:33 AM
Bad thing is, a lot of other fansub groups have adapted those bad habits because of KF. Gerusama, for example, does exactly the same things.

I don't know if the one you're talking about has caught the same virus, but I sincerely hope for your sake they haven't.
+Quote Post
Post #8
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Aug 26 2005, 10:35 AM
He does...? sad.gif

GOD DAMMIT I HATE YOU KAIZOKU FANSUBS!!! YOU NEEEERDS!!!

AND FUCK YOU GERUSAMA FOR BEING A GOD DAMN SHEEP!!! BA-A-A-A-A!!! BA-A-A-A-A!!!

This post has been edited by Shmeckie: Aug 26 2005, 10:36 AM

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #9
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Aug 27 2005, 10:31 AM
Curious: I've searched around, but the only ''fansub'' group I can find in the hundreds is ''Xeno-HK'', which actually consists of nothing more than rips from the infamous Hong Kong bootleg subs.

But, oh well, at least they don't have the ''nakama'' bullshit. Though you're going to have to ask yourself: Would you prefer:

''Luffy! Our nakama on this ship are not afraid of everything!''

or

''Roof! The friends of boat we have scare not of the thing!''

It's your choice. Unless, of course, there's another fansub group I am unaware of. Because if there are, I can't find them.
+Quote Post
Post #10
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Aug 27 2005, 09:36 PM
I'll take the second one. Horrible grammar aside, at least I don't have to put up with reading baka/nakama every five minutes. Thanks to the English-speaking anime community, I hate those words. HATE.

Going back to the dub as it was briefly touched on in Shmeckie's first post, not only did they skip Warship Island, but I heard they were going to omit the entire Little Garden arc as well. If 4Kids keeps leaving out chunks of the show like this, they're gonna catch up to the Japanese releases by the end of next year...

--------------------

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #11
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Aug 27 2005, 11:24 PM
I don't even think they CAN edit Alabasta, now that I think about it. How are they gonna fucking pull of Alabasta?! I'm not curious; I'm pointing out the stupid mistake of what 4Kids is doing to One Piece, and why it's NOT GOING TO WORK. Hell, Alabasta involves a civil war in an arabic-style desert nation. Current events won't LET it work.

What the fuck is wrong with 4Kids anyway? Hell, why would a dubbing company make the "brilliant" decision to target ONLY the 6-11 demographic when you can make so much more money by targeting other age groups. Especially when the anime market is more profitable if you target the young adult age group.

Business-wise, these people are idiots, and deserving of scorn.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #12
Malheidsman

Very tired of being a Magical Schoolgirl

Member No.: 11

post Aug 27 2005, 11:56 PM
Good thing we give them lots of that then.

I prefer the first translation myself. Hell, quit being such a crybaby and accept the fact that they don't translate one stupid word. Obviously Alex hasn't even taken the time to watch a few episodes because they have always translated "baka", and I cannot think of one other word they refuse to translate. Horrible grammar and faulty translations will always annoy me more than anything else...

--------------------
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

- chant from a children's game
heard in Great Aravalon,
the Fourth Age
+Quote Post
Post #13
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Aug 28 2005, 12:15 AM
...They've left baka untranslated many times. Buggy's big adventure coems to mind. Or Miss Merrychristmas.

The "baka! Baka! Baka!" thing in Buggy's adventure was particularly stupid. One can't help but say "yeah, we heard that, thanks for spelling it out on the bottom of the screen you sad little shits".

Kaizoku Fansubs needs to get laid.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #14
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Aug 28 2005, 01:23 AM
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Aug 28 2005, 01:15 AM)
Kaizoku Fansubs needs to get laid.

Quote of the Month! Oops, wrong forum...

And you know, truth be told, it's not even the fact that they leave certain words untranslated that's so infuriating, it's their attitude toward it. It's this militant, elitist, excessive fanboyism that makes these basement-dwellers think they're some kind of artists or cultural liberators expanding people's minds by mixing in random Japanese with the English scripts. But try and criticize them about it, even in the most gentle, objective ways humanly possible, and they get hyper-defensive and act like you don't know what the hell you're talking about because you're somehow less of a person than them. "Well, if you were a REAL anime fan, and truly UNDERSTOOD the Japanese culture, you'd know why we say 'baka' instead of 'stupid', you baka gaijin," seems to be their usual attitude.

But man, if you guys think being a non-crazy English-speaking One Piece fan groups you in with some freakishly obsessive fanboys and fangirls, try being a Ranma 1/2 fan. Once again, I must allude to the Rumic World message boards... During my short and miserable stay there, it was all "baka this" and "baka that" and "baka baka baka baka BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA" motherFUCKER I hate that word!!

--------------------

Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #15
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Aug 28 2005, 02:26 AM
....Moab, you are my soulmate.....

Creepy agreeance aside, the concept of an elitist group of fanboys is one of the funniest oxymorons in all of ever. You can't be self-righteous, AND be at the bottom of the cultural ladder! That's like being proud of fucking dogs or being a 40-year-old man who collects Barbies.

It's just sad to think that use One Piece fans don't get a completely English fansub. You either get japanese words inserted into the English lines, or horrible attempts at English. Either way, Jesus is crying.

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #16
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Aug 28 2005, 09:47 AM
Actually, the not leaving some words untranslated doesn't really bug me. I've gotten to look over it.

What irks me is how it has infiltrated the fandom. Now, you'll see every One Piece fan spouting ''nakama'' into their sentences, for whatever reason they can find. They think it's, like, their little special fandom word.

What irks me more is how the reasoning is defended. It's supposed to be a translation. Leaving things untranslated because ''there are so many different meanings to the Japanese words'' is the most retarded reason I've heard someone pull up. The whole point of doing a translation is using your creativity, your mastery of the English language and the Japanese one to work around such problems, and finding suitable solutions to the difference between languages. It's problem solving, and actually somewhat fun to do if you succeed. If you get frustrated because you don't, or if you just think ''Meh, that word has too many different meanings for me to bother translating it. I'll just leave it like that and call it educational.''.... Well, you're a grade A lazy-ass and simply bad translator.

And trying to cover up your laziness with poor excuses like ''it's educational'' just because you know most of the fans'll fall straight for it is just ... Well, it somewhat bugs me.
+Quote Post
Post #17
Shmeckie

BUY MY BOOK!

post Aug 28 2005, 10:30 AM
Hear hear!

--------------------

~Quentin Tarantino
+Quote Post
Post #18
SSJ Heero

Vault Dweller

Member No.: 21

post Aug 31 2005, 01:31 PM
http://onepiecepiraterap.ytmnd.com/
Goddamn it, I hate this song, but it's so damn catchy.

I thought "nakama" was a Naruto thing. I mean, Naruto's always all, "Ore no nakama wo mamoru!" ("I'll protect me friends/partners/comrades!")

I'm with Dai. When I read a translation, I want the whole thing, but I don't want any of the original content lost like Tokyopop and Viz does. This is a very fine line to walk, but someone with skill would be able to do that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #19
Dai Ou

Mr chew asian beaver

post Aug 31 2005, 01:48 PM
Well, every modern shounen manga sort of has that ''Protect friends!'' mindset. Even the romance ones. It's one of them big ''oh wow that means so much'' phrases, nowadays. Just check Tomoe's response when Kenshin tells her in Tsuiokuhen. You'd think he just declared her his everlasting love or something.
+Quote Post
Post #20
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

post Sep 7 2005, 05:16 PM
Hey folks, more horrible news on the One Piece dub. It seems the first volume of the English version of the series is slated to come out on DVD later this month. Click here for a peek at the cover art.

Riveting, isn't it? What's more, while Volume 1 boasts the generic title "King of the Pirates", Volume 2 (due out in November) will be entitled "Clown of the Town". I think I speak for every One Piece fan everywhere when I say FUCKBEANS!

--------------------

Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 10:18 PM