Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Legend of Korra
Post #221
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 345

post Oct 5 2013, 02:29 AM
You know I really, really hate it to be on the side of Doug Walker in regard of Legend of Korra, but this time... Korra is a whinny bitch in the latest episode.

I get that she would be irrational about certain things considering what her uncle does now, but the way she acted in the episode (why are you not on my side?), she comes almost off like a whinny brat with no understanding on how her actions may make things even worse. I am sorry Korra, you want the united nation army to come and save your people? Fine, but do you really want to do it on the risk of starting what could become a global war? It says something when Mako comes of as the most reasonable person now...

And what has Doug Walker to do with that? Well, one of his major criticisms about Korra is that she seems to have the tendency in the latest episodes to let her hot headed behavior get the better of her, making her lash out on those she actually cares about only to realize later on she did wrong and make up for it. Repeatedly by now. And I have to admit, he has a point. Sorta. I get that she is not Aang who was someone who always looked also for a third option to resolve a conflict and I am glad for it, but she should just listen to others more by now. (or at least does so a bit later on) Cause really, she comes off less like a resonsible Avatar and more like a teenager with all those powers who has to fall on her face once really hard in order to knock sense into her.

At least not Howard Hughes and Bolin are still funny as hell. Seriously, I want a spin off just with those two one day.

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #222
Dejablue

An apparent liker of bad things

Member No.: 716

post Oct 13 2013, 07:34 AM
Korra often acts irrational and gets off with no punishment because the narrative will fall right in line with her assumptions. In Book 1 she had no proof that Asami's dad was an Equalist. Lin Bei Fong listened to her because of avatar clout. Lucky for Korra, she was right.

Korra had no idea that the judge was working with Unalaq to get rid of her father. Runs his car off the road and threatens his life. Thank her lucky stars the judge was actually corrupted. Probably could have been a little more subtle there, Korra. Maybe just a little.

And Unalaq is a dumbass for telling the judge much much more than he needed to know. Which gave us a beautiful exposition dump from the guy.

Korra was wrong again in Republic City. Her boyfriend is a cop, maybe use his channels to get to the bottom of this? Maybe he knows what he's talking about? Nope! Throw a bitch fit AT HIS JOB then run away in a huff. Seriously she pisses on everyone who cares about her. I find it hard to sympathize. She won't listen to people who have knowledge and skills she could use. She never has, not even in Book 1. At what point is she going to realize that crapping all over people who WANT to help you is a bad idea?

At the moment, Korra getting amnesia is probably the best thing that could have happened to her.

Asami is still cool and all but I wonder if her latest business practices are...legal?

I mean the reason Sato Corp was about to crash and burn was BECAUSE her dad was a provider of weaponry for crazy terrorists. I don't think doing almost exactly what your dad did would prove well for your floundering business, just sayin.

Though I could probably counter my own concern by saying its a private business so she can sell her merchandise to whoever she wants. But I guess my stronger concern is how and why Asami is still loyal to Korra in the first place?

Bolin...don't even get me started on him. Just don't.

This post has been edited by Dejablue: Oct 13 2013, 07:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #223
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post Oct 23 2013, 02:06 AM
So, who else saw the Beginning Part 1 and 2? Cause I have to admit, that thing was freaking awesome. And weird at the same time, considering the overall tune of Korra as a show up till now. Still, I really, really loved it. Mostly because of the animation and mythology it finally added to the show again

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post
Post #224
Master of AFTER

-SIGN-
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Oct 23 2013, 04:02 AM
Ugh, I hate being a week behind on this show... Just watched The Sting the night before last. As much as I've enjoyed this season so far, I can't argue that Korra has been pretty whiny. It was nice to get a break from her for an episode. The whole B-story with Asami working with Varrick and everything related to that and Mako's investigation has been unexpectedly interesting. It's been a refreshing change of pace to gravitate away from the higher fantasy elements for a bit and focus on some good old corporate/political intrigue. Plus, Varrick is easily one of the most entertaining characters in the entire Avatar series.

--------------------

"Ponies, man. They made us all idiots." - Hambone
+Quote Post
Post #225
Master of AFTER

-SIGN-
Group Icon

post Dec 8 2013, 02:03 AM
Fffffinally got a chance to watch the last batch of episodes. Gotta say, that was a pretty great way to wrap up the season. Plenty of eye-popping fireworks, lots of cool moments, and some well-written character drama that felt more sincere than a lot of what we've gotten up to this point. It all felt very climatic and satisfying, but they still managed to leave the doors open for future storylines loaded with potential. After what happened, I'll be interested to see how Korra and the world itself progress from here.

My one gripe with the finale? What the fuck was up with Jinora going all Aeris on us? Where did that come from?! I know they foreshadowed her having some pretty impressive spiritual abilities, but that still felt like a bit of an ass pull.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #226
LordYAM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 444

post Dec 11 2013, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Dec 8 2013, 02:03 AM) *
Fffffinally got a chance to watch the last batch of episodes. Gotta say, that was a pretty great way to wrap up the season. Plenty of eye-popping fireworks, lots of cool moments, and some well-written character drama that felt more sincere than a lot of what we've gotten up to this point. It all felt very climatic and satisfying, but they still managed to leave the doors open for future storylines loaded with potential. After what happened, I'll be interested to see how Korra and the world itself progress from here.

My one gripe with the finale? What the fuck was up with Jinora going all Aeris on us? Where did that come from?! I know they foreshadowed her having some pretty impressive spiritual abilities, but that still felt like a bit of an ass pull.

Unalaq got kind of lame. Granted I liked how hammy he was but they threw out any ambiguity. He works for Satan, holds a little girl hostage while smirking, beats the spirit of light to death, and causes destruction. kind of hard to make a character ambiguous (they have him give his speech about how there shouldn't have to be a bridge, and korra admits that he was right he just went the wrong way by working with vaatu and trying to shatter the gates)
+Quote Post
Post #227
TigerEyes

City Hunter!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23

post Dec 11 2013, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (LordYAM @ Dec 11 2013, 05:12 PM) *
Unalaq got kind of lame. Granted I liked how hammy he was but they threw out any ambiguity. He works for Satan, holds a little girl hostage while smirking, beats the spirit of light to death, and causes destruction. kind of hard to make a character ambiguous (they have him give his speech about how there shouldn't have to be a bridge, and korra admits that he was right he just went the wrong way by working with vaatu and trying to shatter the gates)

Vaatu isn't Satan though, he's the yang to Raava's yin; her counterpart. Yang isn't supposed to be "evil" (and is also supposed to be feminine while YIN is masculine, what the fuck is with the gender swap between those two). They did explain this in theory, but in practice they were threatening to destroy a little girl's soul. Hardcore as that was, it was also one of the reasons Korra knew Unalaq was off the deep end, along with starting a war and threatening to "bring balance" to the world by essentially destroying it. In the end, she agreed with him partially by allowing the spirits to live together with humans, but she vehemently disagreed with his methods, so I think that SOME ambiguity was still salvaged.

Also, with all of Unalaq's knowledge about spirits, he knew that he wasn't permanently destroying Raava. Just tipping the balance in Vaatu's favor for his "new age".

But yeah, I really enjoyed this season as well! The characters were a LOT more fleshed out than last season's "korra and mako are together now lol", and the climactic battle was a lot more satisfying. I also really like that they're taking it in a new direction with the spirits to keep things fresh, this series is really good about that kind of thing.

This post has been edited by TigerEyes: Dec 15 2013, 10:28 AM

--------------------
"Human beings are capable of virtually limitless degradation; they are also capable of virtually limitless improvement and achievement. Success depends on goals and on diligence in pursuing them." - Mas Oyama

"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." - John Maxwell
+Quote Post
Post #228
Master of AFTER

-SIGN-
Group Icon

post Dec 15 2013, 04:51 AM
QUOTE (TigerEyes @ Dec 11 2013, 10:21 PM) *
Also, with all of Unalaq's knowledge about spirits, he knew that he wasn't permanently destroying Raava. Just tipping the balance in Vaatu's favor for his "new age".

I got to thinking about this recently, and it raised the question for me: What ultimately happened to Vaatu, anyway? He was seemingly destroyed, but we've already established that neither spirit can be completely eradicated. I'd theorize that his remaining energy manifested itself inside something/someone the same way Raava manifested inside Jinora, but I'm still a little sketchy on what actually happened with that.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if Vaatu reappears in future episodes. Since he's no longer contained, he should theoretically become a threat again at some point. ...Unless, of course, the writers feel Vaatu's role in the plot has run its course and leave his fate ambiguous.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #229
TigerEyes

City Hunter!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23

post Dec 15 2013, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Dec 15 2013, 04:51 AM) *
I got to thinking about this recently, and it raised the question for me: What ultimately happened to Vaatu, anyway? He was seemingly destroyed, but we've already established that neither spirit can be completely eradicated. I'd theorize that his remaining energy manifested itself inside something/someone the same way Raava manifested inside Jinora, but I'm still a little sketchy on what actually happened with that.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if Vaatu reappears in future episodes. Since he's no longer contained, he should theoretically become a threat again at some point. ...Unless, of course, the writers feel Vaatu's role in the plot has run its course and leave his fate ambiguous.

Raava didn't actually manifest inside Jinora, Jinora was just able to pinpoint the teeny tiny little bit of Raava that existed in Vaatu. Raava explained earlier that they can't exist without each other, and if either was to be destroyed, they would just grow inside the one who still existed until they were reborn in another 10,000 years. This is why she opted to imprison Vaatu instead of destroying him when she fought him with the first Avatar. So, Vaata will probably show up in another 10,000 years again. I dunno whether or not they'll actually feature that in the series, it's up to them I guess! I guess it could be plausible since they tend to go through different generations of Avatar for this show, but they may not want to use such a similar plot again.

...Although since Raava is fused with the Avatar, I wonder if that would mean Vaatu will be reborn inside whichever Avatar is around at the time as well...?

This post has been edited by TigerEyes: Dec 15 2013, 03:33 PM

--------------------
"Human beings are capable of virtually limitless degradation; they are also capable of virtually limitless improvement and achievement. Success depends on goals and on diligence in pursuing them." - Mas Oyama

"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." - John Maxwell
+Quote Post
Post #230
Master of AFTER

-SIGN-
Group Icon

post Dec 17 2013, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (TigerEyes @ Dec 15 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Raava didn't actually manifest inside Jinora, Jinora was just able to pinpoint the teeny tiny little bit of Raava that existed in Vaatu. Raava explained earlier that they can't exist without each other, and if either was to be destroyed, they would just grow inside the one who still existed until they were reborn in another 10,000 years.

Oh, so that's what happened. I somehow missed that particular plot point. That makes way more sense, then.

It's possible they'll cover whatever happens in 10,000 years in a future series. Avatar: Elemental Wars 9000 or some shit. I don't care what the creators say, this franchise has become way too profitable for Nickelodeon to permanently shelve it after Legend of Korra wraps up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:30 AM