Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's talk about Akira !
Post #1
Major Bootman

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,689

post Dec 20 2015, 02:33 PM
Welp , thats my first post on this forum , so lets start it with a Bang. (Sort of)

Anyways , today ive watched a Movie called Akira , which is a realy. REALY. Great movie ! Best movie ive seen soo far in my life ! (I did not watched the Latest Start Wars)

For all Action old school Anime lovers , this , is THE Movie. No i mean fuckin seriously , if you havent checked it out , go for it. Its like being hit by nostalgia and eating Lucky Charms. Its amazing , but in the same time you got the chills.

Now , if there are pepole who have watched Akira , who might your favorite moments with the movie be ?

Attached Image

--------------------
Never forgetti Mom's Spaghetti.In this case the Baguette and weed but who fucking cares.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2
Ratatoskr

Super-double-dupity squirrely

Member No.: 1,615

post Dec 20 2015, 03:00 PM
Akira's alright.
It's not all that phenomenal, though, and it has some inherent issues with the main protagonist being a street thug and thus kind of inherently a douchebag.
I still enjoyed it, though, but I can't really think of any scene in particular that caught my interest.
Except maybe the part where Tetsuo got his arm lasered off. That is inherently hilarious.
+Quote Post
Post #3
NiGHTS Noob

Ys VIII Hell Yeah!

Member No.: 210

post Dec 20 2015, 03:37 PM
Akira's animation is legendary for a reason. There's no denying what the movie did for anime as a whole and it set the groundwork for the eventual Anime boom in the West that Ghost in the Shell arguably kicked off following very apparently in Akira's footsteps as an incredibly gorgeous cyberpunk thriller based off a hit manga (though one with a noticeably more 'hard' sci-fi bent).

That being said, I'd be lying if I said I actually liked the film for anything beyond its animation and aesthetic. It's disjointed and doesn't have a whole lot of cohesive flow or sense to it as it goes more for spectacle and cuts most of the plot development of the original story (or so I've been told as I haven't read the manga) in order to fit the run time. It's one hell of a ride through I'll give you that, and if Avatar can survive on visuals alone so can Akira.

Ghost in the Shell is an interesting counterpoint as it also picks and chooses from the source for runtime, but the source was an episodic and tone deaf series more interested in techno babble than actual plot, so when the movie lifted 90% of its material wholesale while dropping the rest of the manga content it strung everything it pulled together in a way that made more sense and allowed for more character than the original work while Akira did the opposite.

--------------------
QUOTE (Some dude at Mangafox)
Did I mention that one time I hacked into the CIA's central files using only an NES and a Power Glove? Yep, that was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Post #4
Viashino_wizard

I don't present solutions, only colorful metaphors

Member No.: 222

post Dec 20 2015, 11:51 PM
Akira is a bad movie that was nevertheless ground-breaking in its visual style and had a profound lasting effect on its medium.

It's the anime Birth of a Nation, is what I'm saying.

--------------------
QUOTE (TigerEyes)
Change is mandatory. It's progress that's optional.

"Stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things are very popular but I'm a fan of extraordinary people trying to do ordinary things"
-Kelly Turnbull
+Quote Post
Post #5
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Dec 21 2015, 12:04 AM
Soundtrack deserves mention, too--eerie, versatile, eclectic.

Still not a particularly good movie, but one with a lot of redeeming value. I wouldn't say it's worth repeat viewings, though.

--------------------
QUOTE (theabhorrentatrocity @ Aug 15 2015, 02:25 PM) *
daddy longleg spiders are scary as they're one of the most poisonous spiders so not much of an over reaction.

A list of mocks can now be found on my profile page!
+Quote Post
Post #6
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post Dec 21 2015, 01:34 AM
I would actually rather talk about the manga than the anime, cause I heard good things about it, but haven't come to properly read it yet.

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post
Post #7
Kerberous

Tourist

Member No.: 1,608

post Dec 21 2015, 03:19 AM
QUOTE (Major Bootman @ Dec 21 2015, 02:33 AM) *
Now , if there are pepole who have watched Akira , who might your favorite moments with the movie be ?

When it ended. That being said, I still prefer Akira over any Miyazaki movie.

This post has been edited by Kerberous: Dec 21 2015, 07:20 AM
+Quote Post
Post #8
LordYAM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 444

post Dec 21 2015, 02:59 PM
QUOTE (Viashino_wizard @ Dec 20 2015, 11:51 PM) *
Akira is a bad movie that was nevertheless ground-breaking in its visual style and had a profound lasting effect on its medium.

It's the anime Birth of a Nation, is what I'm saying.

I think that's a little extreme. At least Akira didn't advocate a return to slavery and apologize for an evil faction.
+Quote Post
Post #9
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Dec 21 2015, 03:48 PM
QUOTE (LordYAM @ Dec 21 2015, 02:59 PM) *
I think that's a little extreme. At least Akira didn't advocate a return to slavery and apologize for an evil faction.

He's speaking with regards to its significance in the medium's evolution, not the content. Birth of a Nation might be racist propaganda, but it pioneered a number of film-making innovations. Similarly, Akira isn't particularly good, but it's a landmark in the evolution of anime as a genre and opened the door to other, much better, shows and movies.

--------------------
QUOTE (theabhorrentatrocity @ Aug 15 2015, 02:25 PM) *
daddy longleg spiders are scary as they're one of the most poisonous spiders so not much of an over reaction.

A list of mocks can now be found on my profile page!
+Quote Post
Post #10
KingMan

Dedicated Member

Member No.: 745

post Dec 24 2015, 10:20 AM
I liked the movie. It was disjointed, but I think they did alright with what they had.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2017 - 04:35 PM