Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

126 Pages V  « < 124 125 126  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "We Watch MLP" Thread
Post #2501
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 345

post Jun 6 2015, 12:04 AM
QUOTE (KingMan @ Jun 6 2015, 08:48 AM) *
Now that I've stepped back and thought about it, it's just as possible that they did it as just another reference gag. Sadly, I doubt that's the case here.

It is probably meant to be both (reference to some probe that showed up in an older episode & meta because "lol, shark jumping") but even then, how is that supposed to be legitimately funny? And how many people would get that there was THAT in the episode? I had to rewatch the clip two times to actually see it.
At this point I predict the writers to be so desperate to appease the fandom, the following four references will probably show up:

1. Derpy and something related to muffins
2. Berry Punch being drunk
3. Flash Sentry because we need to get the Twilight retards angry
4. Lyra and Bonbon lesbian shipping/something related to hands.

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2502
TheOneAndOnly

M'beast

Member No.: 803

post Jun 6 2015, 02:40 AM
What's interesting though is I'm seeing a lot of fans who think this episode just has too much pandering and are calling it lifeless and whatnot.

--------------------
I'm the kind of guy who would spend all of his savings on lottery tickets, win the lottery, and then burn the money for his trash can fire because he lost his home betting on the lottery.
"Never poke fun at fatty fetishists unless you're willing to individually slap down 300 sweaty balls of sexual frustration and heart disease. Trust me, I used to spend a lot of time on Deviant Art."
+Quote Post
Post #2503
hissingblades91

Diabolically Yours

Member No.: 485

post Jun 10 2015, 03:32 PM
QUOTE (Maniak @ Jun 5 2015, 11:17 AM) *
Son of a bitch

Funny how one teaser clip can make someone automatically uninterested in a shows huge special.
Seriously. It's pandering as fuck and the dub step shit gave me a goddamned headache.
And judging by just that one little stupid bullshit teaser, the entire thing is just pandering mindless bullshit.
Throwing in a bit of pandering/fandom references here n there is fine but just no.
Honestly the current season hasn't really been anything special to me anyways.
The episodes are good n all but nothing really made me go "wow what a great episode".
The 100th episode better actually deliver something more than pandering fandom shit or I'll just fucking drop the fandom.
Also Octavia's voice was obnoxious.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2504
Maniak

post Jun 11 2015, 01:22 AM
QUOTE (hissingblades91 @ Jun 11 2015, 01:32 AM) *
The 100th episode better actually deliver something more than pandering fandom shit or I'll just fucking drop the fandom.
Also Octavia's voice was obnoxious.

We can hang out then in a bar. Also, of course she has to be obnoxious. She is british.

Speaking of MLP, how are the comics doing? I haven't really paid any attention to them since that stupid EQG2 comic.

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

+Quote Post
Post #2505
Bonglorio

Member No.: 647

post Jun 11 2015, 03:15 AM
This is why you never hire from your fanbase

--------------------
[9:09:06 PM] Soren Highwind: Please don't make me a dick cannibal shane.

[11:45:16 PM] Scream: i have become one with the slug
+Quote Post
Post #2506
Maniak

post Jun 11 2015, 03:18 AM
QUOTE (Bonglorio @ Jun 11 2015, 01:15 PM) *
This is why you never hire from your fanbase

Actually, as far as I know, the only people hired directly from the fanbase so far only work in the comics.
Which explains a lot. And funnily enough, the scriptwriter for episode 100th said he originally DIDN'T want to make a background character episode. Hasbro forced it on him, cause money.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #2507
Dashguy

Advanced Member

Member No.: 712

post Jun 11 2015, 06:15 AM
QUOTE (Maniak @ Jun 11 2015, 06:22 AM) *
Speaking of MLP, how are the comics doing? I haven't really paid any attention to them since that stupid EQG2 comic.

Well, I can tell you about some of them. Issues twenty five and twenty six (The good, the bad and the ponies) are particularly bad, filled with ridiculous amounts of contrived idiocy and a plot that could have turned interesting but instead went for the most horribly boring resolution. Issues twenty seven and twenty eight (The root of the problem), from what I've got from the former and reading a synopsis of the latter, seem to follow the same pattern. Issue twenty nine was simple yet entertaining and the closest thing to an episode of the show.

I've only read issue eight of "Friends Forever" (Applejack and Rarity), which was entertaining enough, and was looking forward to issue sixteen (Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon) but, from what I've read and seen about it, it adds nothing new and most of the attention is focused on a pony version of Velma Dinkley (no, really) instead of the titular duo.

Finally, I only read issue five of "Fiendship is Magic", the one about Queen Chrysalis, and this is the only one I can genuinely recommend.
+Quote Post
Post #2508
Maniak

post Jun 11 2015, 07:22 AM
QUOTE (Dashguy @ Jun 11 2015, 04:15 PM) *
Finally, I only read issue five of "Fiendship is Magic", the one about Queen Chrysalis, and this is the only one I can genuinely recommend.

Oh yeah, that happened too. Didn't really read much of it in the end, cause most of the reviews I stumbled upon indicated many stinkers within the project.
I read up on the Sombra and Dazzling ones tough. The first one was a pretty cliched villain backstory that made Sombra partly sympathetic, the later one was so bad, I genuinely think fanfiction is better than what the author of that one produced.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #2509
KingMan

Dedicated Member

Member No.: 745

post Jun 11 2015, 09:49 AM
To an extent Sombra's backstory kind of reminded me of how Loki freaked out when he was a frost giant in the first Thor movie. Unfortunately, I didn't think Sombra was that interesting a villain in the show for me to care about the backstory.

Chrysalis was probably the best, if only because of how entertaining she was at being a villain.

As for Hasbro forcing the pandering concept on the writers: if that's true, well... I wish I could say I'm surprised, but this is just simply par the course with these guys by this point.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2510
Maniak

post Jun 11 2015, 10:12 AM
QUOTE (KingMan @ Jun 11 2015, 07:49 PM) *
To an extent Sombra's backstory kind of reminded me of how Loki freaked out when he was a frost giant in the first Thor movie. Unfortunately, I didn't think Sombra was that interesting a villain in the show for me to care about the backstory.

Me neither. I always thought that while the design was okay for an evil overlord archetype villain in a little kids show like that, the writing of the episode itself and his lack of direct involvement made him a very dull villain. But I had to give the comic credit for actually giving him backstory and trying to make him taking over the empire for a reason. Also, it was just chessy what they all threw into it to the point I was entertained for all the wrong reasons in the end. Come on, a best friend character by the name of Radiant Hope? The only way how this could have been any more ridiculous was if they gave him a puppy that got killed by Celestia.

As for the Chrysalis one, I heard that one was supposedly the "darkest"? I read some review that did not go into detail, claiming that Chrysalis backstory supposedly painted her as a genocidal monster. Unfortunately I don't know if there is a bit of truth to it or if that was just another brony making a mountain out of a molehill.

This post has been edited by Maniak: Jun 11 2015, 10:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #2511
KingMan

Dedicated Member

post Jun 11 2015, 10:39 AM
On the one hand it probably is, on the other, there's nothing in there that tops her disemboweling one of those kitten creatures.

At least there this:

Attached Image

Yes, it's cliché, but given all the pandering, bullshit morals and half-baked story lines, this is a godsend in comparison.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2512
hissingblades91

Diabolically Yours

Member No.: 485

post Jun 12 2015, 03:46 PM
QUOTE (Maniak @ Jun 11 2015, 01:22 AM) *
We can hang out then in a bar. Also, of course she has to be obnoxious. She is british.

If it ends up sucking really hard I'll probably just end up lying on my bedroom floor with my phone tossed across the room with a look that just screams 'I don't even care anymore '. Followed by questioning why I even bothered watching it.
So yeah. It is hilarious to see fans calling the whole clip pandering and lifeless seeing as the two ponies are the ones they've been dying to see actually interact with each other. Plus giving Octavia a stereotypical posh British accent was just no worthy.
Honestly the plot is weak as hell and reeks of uncreativity. But yeah. I'll end up wishing I was drunk as a feeble attempt to wipe the episode from my memory by the time it's over. At least I've got other shows to watch. If I end up dropping the fandom then that'll be two fandoms I've left in the past few months. Though the first one was due to loss of interest and an ex friend from it on tumblr throwing a fuckin temper tantrum over me starting to grow interested in Mortal Kombat again because the new game was coming out. I shit you not she thought I was leaving because of a message I posted clearly stating I was only losing interest in the other fandom. And threw a temper tantrum in a message saying 'she'd be on her own because I was leaving' sort of bullshit. A few days later I did fucking leave. She was an obnoxious bitch anyways.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2513
KingMan

Dedicated Member

post Jun 12 2015, 06:50 PM
@hissingblades91: In regards to the bronies being disappointed and calling this special lifeless, I think Mr. Plinkett said it best: "What were you expecting, asshole?"

The thing that gets me is that Hasbro must have had some idea how popular these characters were to the fanbase. If they wanted to make more money off of characters like Derpy that badly and not do it via circle-jerking the fandom, they should have started giving them characterizations around Season 2, assuming it would have been possible.

This post has been edited by KingMan: Jun 12 2015, 06:51 PM

--------------------

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2514
Maniak

post Jun 13 2015, 03:09 AM
The thing that gets me is that Hasbro must have had some idea how popular these characters were to the fanbase. If they wanted to make more money off of characters like Derpy that badly and not do it via circle-jerking the fandom, they should have started giving them characterizations around Season 2, assuming it would have been possible.

But here is the problem: By the time they realized they could make money with those characters, it was kind of too late.
Think about it: Between the making of an episode/season (writing, animating, voicing, editing, adjusting it to the demands of the Habsro overlords) and the airing, a lot of time passes. By the time the animators realized that the fanbase was not only older than the age of 8 AND wasn't just interested in the main characters, season 2 was already worked out and the first work for season 3 was on the way to be worked on behind doors. They did not have any time or interest to write something about background characters, because they were too busy already adjusting to the few glimpses and demands they got. All they could do is perhaps add something in the background at a last minute, because it would otherwise not affect how the episode played out. At least that's what I think why suddenly characters as Lyra got a bit more prominent in the background of season 2 and up?
Really putting the background characters also more in the focus didn't really seem to be a thing up till season 4, when I can give Rainbow Falls as an example. And now they try to make the money with merch about background characters, but it is kind of late to try and now put attention to them showwise

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #2515
TheOneAndOnly

M'beast

Member No.: 803

post Jun 13 2015, 08:04 AM
It was harmless really, and I had a bit of fun with it. The writers did come up with some pretty unexpected ideas; it wasn't all ripped from the Fandom dredges. Plus the last scene was nice, it kinda was like a 22 short stories about Springfield-esque story.

--------------------
I'm the kind of guy who would spend all of his savings on lottery tickets, win the lottery, and then burn the money for his trash can fire because he lost his home betting on the lottery.
"Never poke fun at fatty fetishists unless you're willing to individually slap down 300 sweaty balls of sexual frustration and heart disease. Trust me, I used to spend a lot of time on Deviant Art."
+Quote Post
Post #2516
Maniak

post Jun 13 2015, 08:09 AM
QUOTE (TheOneAndOnly @ Jun 13 2015, 06:04 PM) *
It was harmless really, and I had a bit of fun with it. The writers did come up with some pretty unexpected ideas; it wasn't all ripped from the Fandom dredges. Plus the last scene was nice, it kinda was like a 22 short stories about Springfield-esque story.

It was better than expected. Mostly because the dubstep scene aside, the focus was long enough spend on the characters that you could say it was not just "hello and good bye". Still, the Doctor Who references and that cane... why?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #2517
64SuperNintendo

Member No.: 1,536

post Jun 13 2015, 10:54 AM
Well, I just watched the newest episode. It was somehow not as bad as expected, but like Maniak, I found Doctor Whooves and the appearance of the cane cringeworthy.

Best part of the episode: Gummy's existential crisis.

This post has been edited by 64SuperNintendo: Jun 13 2015, 10:56 AM
+Quote Post
Post #2518
KingMan

Dedicated Member

post Jun 13 2015, 02:37 PM
I just saw it and it wasn't that bad. I admit, the part where Derpy locked out the Mane Six and when Vinyl thought Dr. Whooves was talking about a bowling alley gave me a chuckle.

This post has been edited by KingMan: Jun 13 2015, 02:40 PM

--------------------

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2519
Maniak

post Jun 15 2015, 09:26 AM
Looking over the episode once more, I came to the conclusion that while people aware of the fandom probably found in general some enjoyment out of the episode, I think it wasn't such a good episode for people unaware of who Derpy is and such.

Lets not delude ourselves, the entire episode was pretty much just a way by the show writers and Hasbro to pander towards the fanbase, which they did by throwing a lot of expected references but also out of nowhere scenarios at us. The most obvious references to stuff the fandom came up for some characters were the "Doctor", as while not specifically refered to as THE Doctor he was in his mannerisms a pretty obvious shout out to the known british scifi icon, Derpy was Derpy (although I give Tabitha St Germain credit for finally giving the character a good voice), Lyra and Bonbon were gayer than KorraSami and the dubstep scene with octavia and Vinyl was the overkill. But then there was also unexpected and kind of weird stuff (like Gummy's inner monologue or the secret agent thing) I assume no one was expecting at all, as the fandom in its mediocrity never thought it up, spiced up by filling the background with whatever background character that had at least goten one fanart during the shows run. Last but not least add some jokes invlving characters you would have the least expected to show up (Luna and Celestia e.g., which I thought was funny but did nothing to move whatever they had as a slight excuse for a plot forward) and you get this episode.
I don't necessarily hate it in the end. I will admit I overreacted two weeks ago (in my defense, the dubstep scene is still the most idiotic thing I ever saw in this show) and I got a few chuckles out of it (even at stuff that made me roll my eyes) but I would never really call it a good episode. For that it tried just too much to lean agains the fourth wall and if I didn't know who the heck those "characters" are as I focus more on the actual main characters, I wouldn't have goten much out of it at all. You could do worse with an episode regarding background /secondary characters, but you can also do way better than they did. For examples, look at 22 short stories about Springfield, that Futurama episode with the 300 dollar tax refund or a few episodes of that Scrubs series.

--------------------

+Quote Post

126 Pages V  « < 124 125 126
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2015 - 04:37 AM