Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V  « < 109 110 111  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV Tropes is dead to me., Fucking DEAD to me.
Post #2201
CobaltKori

Have I told anyone that I love this site.

Group: Members
Member No.: 781

post Dec 14 2015, 03:49 PM
So something new popped up on TV Tropes: a Community Showcase sidebar! Apparently there are separate websites that are TV Tropes promoted and focused.

These glorified ads are apparently for that dumbass Periodic Table of Storytelling (We've already discussed that tropes aren't building blocks. Tropes come from stories, not the other way around), some commission work by Howland Illustrations for some reason (I have no idea who this is or why they are here), and right at the top is...oh. Oooooh.

Stereotropes. An entire website dedicated to showcasing the inherent sexism in common tropes, and how much they appear.

What is Stereotropes?
Some of the greatest reflections on society take place in film, through narrative plots, expressive scenery and complex characters, often falling into familiar patterns called "Tropes". Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience’s minds and expectations. Some tropes are cliché (stereotyped and trite), while others put into plain sight what is otherwise hidden or unspoken. Stereotropes is an interactive visualization experiment, exploring a set of tropes authored and tracked by the community on the TV Tropes. Specifically, this project focuses on gender and the differences between words and associations for male and female tropes.

Tropes on tvtropes.org tend to have long descriptions, identifying images and a catalogue [sic] of film roles that embody the trope. Films are also often associated with a decade or genres. From this data Stereotropes is able to get adjectives used to describe tropes and see how they are used differently across tropes and categories like gender. While tropes are used to cover anything from people, actions and places, the focus of Stereotropes is to present a specific subset of tropes identified as being Always Male or Always Female. This vast collection of data allow [sic] us to ask interesting questions about the representation of gender in films. Are certain adjectives more likely to describe a female or male tropes? How are these adjectives used together? With this dataset, we can start these conversations.

Of course, they see "gendered tropes" as a "problem" that requires a "conversation" in order to solve (where have we heard this before...? And ow, my quotation marks)

Working with data that has to do with gender is really hard. We felt very responsible for the way in which we portray it and whether we are moving with or against the slow and steady effort towards social progress in the ways we talk about gender. To start with, our dataset is inherently binary. While we don't view gender as binary, [RED FLAG] we chose only the tropes that were marked as being 'always male' or 'always female'. There was an additional dataset of tropes labelled [sic] 'always unisex' that we chose not to use. Our main focus was on exploring the language used to describe stereotypical male and female characters and we made the choice to focus on those because we wanted to highlight the differences in language associated with the two poles. Our hope is that in exposing these tropes that pervade our culture, we can shed light on them and force ourselves and those around us to confront them head on; to acknowledge our own biases and call out the biases of others. We know that these tropes permeate our media, and that every day [sic] people all along the gender spectrum wonder about their place in the world as a result. We hope Stereotropes can be a small step in bringing us closer to a culture that is more critical in our thinking about the stereotypes reflected in media and the ones we hold personally, as well as more thoughtful about our collective experience of gender in society.

It's not all bad
While many of the tropes definitely match stereotypes we all wish didn’t exist, others were indicative of a shift we’re excited to see. For example the use of the trope Damsel Out of Distress, describing a female character that doesn’t wait for her hero to save her, is on the rise.
Additionally, many of the more degrading tropes are on the decline when we look at their appearance in films over time, for example: Femme Fatale.

Still… it isn't great
We also saw a lot of what we expected to see: Many of the top adjectives associated with female tropes relate to youth, physical appearance, traditional gender roles and sexuality. On the other hand [sic] many words associated with physicality or heroism (and anti-heroism) are associated with male tropes.
There seems to be a greater air of mystery around how women are described, in fact mysterious and exotic are two adjectives much more associated with female characters than male ones.

Hands up: Who wants to tell them that TV Tropes is a community-ran website and that they have a habit of fudging the data just to inflate a trope page? A.K.A., subversions, aversions, lampshades, etc. It's not even wise to use TV Tropes to analyse quantity of appearance, seeing as literature and live-action TV are greatly ignored by the majority of tropers. They even know this, and they still call TV Tropes "the most comprehensive online resource cataloguing this type of information."

Look at their eyesore of a chart (who thought this was a good design?! I bet it's the web designer. They're tacky enough to use a square quilt format on their homepage)

As being associated with TV Tropes will do to you, it's all over the place, makes no sense, and cherry picks individual tropes to analyse their stories.

It's silly to think that just by "pointing out the frequency of a trope" that it will go away. Of course, there's going to be gendered tropes. It's going to happen. Your most common tropes are all autistically specific, and always have a counterpart. Even if you make it so that this one appearance falls, authors will just prop up the other. All the Papa Wolves becomes Mama Bears, the Damsels in Distress becomes the Patriarch in Peril, and even your "approved tropes" like Damsels-Out-Of-Distress are going to become gendered flip. And we all gonna call you hypocrites for it.

Your website is pointless, and you should feel pointless.

(And for fuck's sake! Get a proofreader!)

--------------------
Its not every day you see someone like me. Then again, everyone IS different.

Kori's Box Of Mocks!

R.I.P.
My Laptop
2007-2013
It's a damn shame when the good times end.

QUOTE (Valkyrie @ Dec 15 2013, 02:28 PM) *
I hate making a terrible first impression. Even when you bounce back from it, it's hard to forget how much you fucked up the first time.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2202
KingMan

Dedicated Member

Member No.: 745

post Dec 15 2015, 10:18 PM
Jesus, that chart looks like an unholy cross between a thesaurus, a stat chart for a fighting game character and that stupid "for us, against us" chart that Rolling Stone magazine uses to gauge political events.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2203
Geth N7

Regular

Member No.: 992

post Dec 15 2015, 10:23 PM
QUOTE (KingMan @ Dec 15 2015, 10:18 PM) *
Jesus, that chart looks like an unholy cross between a thesaurus, a stat chart for a fighting game character and that stupid "for us, against us" chart that Rolling Stone magazine uses to gauge political events.

If I or anyone else at All The Tropes (either branch) does something that damn idiotic, please mock the fuck out the offending party, I don't care whose feelings you hurt.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2204
Master of AFTER

Working, man.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Dec 17 2015, 03:47 AM
CobaltKori already covered a lot of what's wrong with that site's methodology, but for the sake of abbreviating it: Stereotropes takes random observations (many of which are based on common misunderstandings of rhetorical/storytelling techniques used by professionals) made by a group of anonymous amateurs, carefully selects specific examples that will work toward serving an agenda, and uses the resulting "data" to build charts that assign mostly arbitrary values to different subjects for the purpose of identifying so-called "problematic" trends in media that supposedly justify viewer outrage and demand even more impotent whining that will ultimately accomplish nothing aside from annoying the hell out of everyone who isn't a deluded political correctness advocate.

--------------------

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
— Pablo Picasso
+Quote Post
Post #2205
RhoEpsilon

Tourist

Member No.: 1,183

post Feb 8 2016, 01:36 PM
They changed TVTropes' design again. It looks terrible, by the way. http://tvtropes.org/
+Quote Post
Post #2206
Geth N7

Regular

post Feb 17 2016, 08:33 PM
I'm seriously considering giving the Project AFTER treatment to the anime Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid on my blog soon (it's practically a lesbian lemon with a silly plot), and after seeing some shit about it on TV Tropes, especially in that masturbation fantasy they call the Trope Pantheon, I decided to bring up what makes the current day incarnation so autistic even I'm disgusted by it:

http://gethn7.blogspot.com/2016/02/i-discu...ermaid-and.html

Hell, the Trope Pantheon is such an autistic fan wank these days you could probably give THAT the PA treatment (bring booze, you'd need it).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2207
Virgil Stormblade

Maverick Hunter

Member No.: 1,599

post Feb 17 2016, 09:33 PM
What the hell was the point of the Trope Pantheon anyway? I mean, I'd excuse it if it was for fun, but there are STORY ARCS in it. And they're supposed to be taken seriously.

--------------------
CHAOS CONTROL!
+Quote Post
Post #2208
Geth N7

Regular

post Feb 17 2016, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Virgil Stormblade @ Feb 17 2016, 09:33 PM) *
What the hell was the point of the Trope Pantheon anyway? I mean, I'd excuse it if it was for fun, but there are STORY ARCS in it. And they're supposed to be taken seriously.

Way back in the days of yore, it was a simple fun project to list characters that embodied various tropes.

I have no clue when the story arc crap started, but by then it has drifted in shameless fan wanking territory and it's only gotten worse with time.

I nuked it off ATT with the consent of everyone else due to how ridiculous it had gotten, don't regret that decision.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2209
KingMan

Dedicated Member

post Feb 17 2016, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (RhoEpsilon @ Feb 8 2016, 02:36 PM) *
They changed TVTropes' design again. It looks terrible, by the way. http://tvtropes.org/

Terrible as in the usual kind of terrible, or terrible even by TV Tropes' standards?

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2210
Geth N7

Regular

post Feb 18 2016, 04:05 AM
QUOTE (KingMan @ Feb 17 2016, 10:03 PM) *
Terrible as in the usual kind of terrible, or terrible even by TV Tropes' standards?

It's essentially a ripoff of Wikia's stock appearance in layout. It's got even worse load times for some pages and text is further scrunched up on content pages.

This post has been edited by Geth N7: Feb 18 2016, 04:06 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2211
Bonglorio

Horrible person with an irredeemable mouth

Member No.: 647

post Feb 18 2016, 08:03 AM
What the absolute fuck is this gay shit

--------------------
[9:09:06 PM] Soren Highwind: Please don't make me a dick cannibal shane.

[11:45:16 PM] Scream: i have become one with the slug
+Quote Post
Post #2212
Ratatoskr

Super-double-dupity squirrely

Member No.: 1,615

post Feb 18 2016, 10:33 AM
QUOTE (Bonglorio @ Feb 18 2016, 05:03 PM) *

At one point, he gets pissed at some zombies pinning down Arc because she's his woman—if anyone's going to molest her, it's going to be him. *slice and dice*

Our protagonist is a rapist and that makes him so awesome, you guys.
There's a doujin where Shiki sees a star where nobody else sees one, and then realizes that's the Killing Spot for the universe. He makes a note of it, in case in the future the universe "requires to end." Think about that for a second.

This is literally fanfiction. Is TvTropes even trying at this point, even with the inherent shittiness of the "Crowning Moment" pages? How the fuck would any of this shit count for anything about the original work?
To top it all off, Seo now has a huge crush on him after this, the first time they've actually met.
Well, that's pretty much standard for Shiki.

Of course it does, because Tropers can only identify with a character when the entire world revolves around him.

Seriously, how in the fuck did Tropers ever get obsessed with such an abysmally written story centring on a sociopathic, incestuous, mass-murdering, paedophilic rapist?
+Quote Post
Post #2213
Bonglorio

Horrible person with an irredeemable mouth

Member No.: 647

post Feb 18 2016, 11:37 AM
QUOTE (Ratatoskr @ Feb 18 2016, 10:33 AM) *
Our protagonist is a rapist and that makes him so awesome, you guys.

This is literally fanfiction. Is TvTropes even trying at this point, even with the inherent shittiness of the "Crowning Moment" pages? How the fuck would any of this shit count for anything about the original work?

Of course it does, because Tropers can only identify with a character when the entire world revolves around him.

Seriously, how in the fuck did Tropers ever get obsessed with such an abysmally written story centring on a sociopathic, incestuous, mass-murdering, paedophilic rapist?

Because most all Nasu fans are socially retarded degenerates who have issues with women

--------------------
[9:09:06 PM] Soren Highwind: Please don't make me a dick cannibal shane.

[11:45:16 PM] Scream: i have become one with the slug
+Quote Post
Post #2214
Tron_2.0

Sexy Edition

Member No.: 804

post May 30 2016, 06:05 AM
Tv tropes says X men Apocalypse "apologizes " for showing female nudity by literally putting a character in a burqa.
Attached Image
You can't make this shit up

Also gotta love how butthurt they sound over the fact they didn't get a male shirtless scene

This post has been edited by Tron_2.0: May 30 2016, 06:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2215
KingMan

Dedicated Member

post May 30 2016, 08:29 AM
"Apologize by wearing burqa..."

I starting to wonder if radfems are either gonna cheer this guy or chimp out.

--------------------

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post

111 Pages V  « < 109 110 111
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2017 - 01:12 AM