Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 89 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV Tropes is dead to me., Fucking DEAD to me.
Post #1721
Geth N7

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 992

post Jan 26 2014, 08:32 PM
QUOTE (LordYAM @ Jan 26 2014, 06:35 PM) *
fair enough. I should have been clearer. I thought that the fluffy pony fandom sprung out of fluffy puff. The people who started making abuse stories were 4chan.

The asshole of the internet was the birthplace of this abuse story abomination?

Why am I not surprised?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #1722
Geth N7

Regular

post Jan 27 2014, 07:29 PM
Just a little news I thought you guys might be pleased to hear:

Many of you have expressed that the "Unpublished Works" section of TV Tropes is a hideous landfill of unfinished garbage that is just taking up space for no good reason and serves as a dumping ground for lazy writers, and after some discussion with my fellow admin Vorticity, we decided to hose our copies of that crap because we agree.

Interestingly, while I never liked it anyway and you guys convinced me it needed to die ASAP, Vorticity came to the same conclusion on his own, so not only have we purged all of that crap, we have decided on a policy for people who have unfinished work and other related material.

They can do whatever they want in their userspace (we have gadgets so they can keep track of that), but the main wiki does not need to be cluttered up with crappy story ideas that will never see the light of day.

Another bit of news I thought you might be interested in is that our reviews subpages are mostly like the TV Tropes version, except we also will (A) not be enforcing the hugbox BS on TV Tropes, (B) I added a voting system so people can rate works, and © it takes advantage of the LiquidThreads extension so reviews and comments can be easily sorted since the TV Tropes version is badly designed and I wanted to do a better job than Fast Eddie's POS hack work.

Finally, we are in the process of hosing as much idiotic crap as we can find (we recently purged several main namespace copies of troper pages imported by mistake, and that stuff was disturbing spergy nonsense in the vein of the worst Troper Tales), partially to optimize our wiki database, and partially because TVT had some shameful nonsense we have no interest in keeping around.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #1723
Bonglorio

Horrible person with an irredeemable mouth

Member No.: 647

post Jan 27 2014, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (Geth N7 @ Jan 27 2014, 07:29 PM) *
Just a little news I thought you guys might be pleased to hear:

Many of you have expressed that the "Unpublished Works" section of TV Tropes is a hideous landfill of unfinished garbage that is just taking up space for no good reason and serves as a dumping ground for lazy writers, and after some discussion with my fellow admin Vorticity, we decided to hose our copies of that crap because we agree.

Interestingly, while I never liked it anyway and you guys convinced me it needed to die ASAP, Vorticity came to the same conclusion on his own, so not only have we purged all of that crap, we have decided on a policy for people who have unfinished work and other related material.

They can do whatever they want in their userspace (we have gadgets so they can keep track of that), but the main wiki does not need to be cluttered up with crappy story ideas that will never see the light of day.

Another bit of news I thought you might be interested in is that our reviews subpages are mostly like the TV Tropes version, except we also will (A) not be enforcing the hugbox BS on TV Tropes, (B) I added a voting system so people can rate works, and © it takes advantage of the LiquidThreads extension so reviews and comments can be easily sorted since the TV Tropes version is badly designed and I wanted to do a better job than Fast Eddie's POS hack work.

Finally, we are in the process of hosing as much idiotic crap as we can find (we recently purged several main namespace copies of troper pages imported by mistake, and that stuff was disturbing spergy nonsense in the vein of the worst Troper Tales), partially to optimize our wiki database, and partially because TVT had some shameful nonsense we have no interest in keeping around.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

--------------------
[9:09:06 PM] Soren Highwind: Please don't make me a dick cannibal shane.

[11:45:16 PM] Scream: i have become one with the slug
+Quote Post
Post #1724
Bonglorio

post Jan 27 2014, 10:25 PM
HO-LEE SHIT YOU GUYS

So I decided to check the SA TV Tropes thread and they linked to a thread where troper's reacted to JewWario's unfortunate suicide and.... well...

I have zero sympathy for this JewWario guy. Even if he did have a bad case of depression he obviously had someone in his life that cared about him. Anyone that throws a love like that away is irredeemable. Suicide is your choice to make (a stupid choice, but yours never the less), but killing yourself while your loved one(s) are pleading with you not to is just... wrong. Not only are you hurting them with the fact you are dead but also with the knowledge that you didn't care about them enough to live for him/her/them.

Man, now I'm pissed. fuck you Justin Carmical. I hope you burn in hell for the pain you have brought to your wife. Good luck, godspeed, and best of wishes to Ms. Carmical.

Hey Mrs. Carmical, you have my deepest sympathies, but your husband was a piece of shit scum of the earth who deserves to burn in hell for what he did to you! Deepest Sympathies though.

This clenches it.

Tropers are the worst human beings on the internet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #1725
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Jan 27 2014, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (Bonglorio @ Jan 27 2014, 10:25 PM) *
Hey Mrs. Carmical, you have my deepest sympathies, but your husband was a piece of shit scum of the earth who deserves to burn in hell for what he did to you! Deepest Sympathies though.

The optimist in me hopes that this person is just autistic and has no idea how upsetting this sentiment is. The realist in me knows better.

--------------------
QUOTE (theabhorrentatrocity @ Aug 15 2015, 02:25 PM) *
daddy longleg spiders are scary as they're one of the most poisonous spiders so not much of an over reaction.

A list of mocks can now be found on my profile page!
+Quote Post
Post #1726
KingMan

Dedicated Member

Member No.: 745

post Jan 27 2014, 10:58 PM
Christ, what an insensitive fuckwad. Seriously, you don't say stuff like that to the relatives of the person who committed suicide. It's not kosher. Besides, I highly doubt the troper gives two shits about his own loved ones.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #1727
primedawg9170

The member from down under

Member No.: 765

post Jan 28 2014, 12:01 AM
So let me get this straight, these guys are saying that Jew Wario is a major monster and scumbag because he commited suicide due to probably depression? These tropers, man, they have basically made themself look even worse then apparently then him (AKA Satan and Hitler's love child according to them)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #1728
Geth N7

Regular

post Jan 28 2014, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (primedawg9170 @ Jan 28 2014, 12:01 AM) *
So let me get this straight, these guys are saying that Jew Wario is a major monster and scumbag because he commited suicide due to probably depression? These tropers, man, they have basically made themself look even worse then apparently then him (AKA Satan and Hitler's love child according to them)

I'm a (non TVT) troper, and I find this offensive as hell for two reasons.

One, what kind of common bastard shits on the grave of someone who committed suicide, especially because of depression?

I speak from personal experience when I say I was once suicidally depressed at one point (thankfully very long behind me), and with the help of people who convinced me life was worth living, I sought therapy to overcome my demons.

I cannot speak for the dead in this case, but regardless of their story, pissing on their grave and calling them a monster because they took their own life due to depression is nothing less than a personal slap to the face for me, since any fuckwit who does that cannot understand what goes through a depressed person's mind to make them consider a decision like that (when you are suicidally depressed, you think crazy stuff is quite rational, and thankfully I got help before I went too far) and calling them a monster for that is just unbelievably offensive.

Second, even without the personally offensive part, what asshole starts gravedancing over the body of a suicide victim this blatantly in public?! Even if I utterly hated someone and was glad for their death, even I would have just enough decency to not spread my joy over their demise within earshot of the bereaved.

This post has been edited by Geth N7: Jan 28 2014, 05:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #1729
Dashguy

Advanced Member

Member No.: 712

post Jan 28 2014, 04:17 AM
I have zero sympathy for this JewWario guy. Even if he did have a bad case of depression he obviously had someone in his life that cared about him. Anyone that throws a love like that away is irredeemable. Suicide is your choice to make (a stupid choice, but yours never the less), but killing yourself while your loved one(s) are pleading with you not to is just... wrong. Not only are you hurting them with the fact you are dead but also with the knowledge that you didn't care about them enough to live for him/her/them.

Man, now I'm pissed. fuck you Justin Carmical. I hope you burn in hell for the pain you have brought to your wife. Good luck, godspeed, and best of wishes to Ms. Carmical.

It's me or that sounds like some kind of fucked-up shonen anime thing? You know what I'm talking about. The "don't die, hero! If you do your love interest and little sister will get sad! And your rival will angrily chew you up for being so weak and blah blah!" speech.

Jesus Christ.
+Quote Post
Post #1730
shiroamasa

Greetings, Project After-san.

Member No.: 340

post Jan 28 2014, 08:34 PM

...Someone needs to call up Jay and Slient Bob and have them come to this prick's house and beat him up. Seriously, way to be an insensitive asshole.

--------------------
"GAAAAAAAAAAME!" -HCBailly

"I'm HCBailly, and my cat is sleeping on my subwoofer." -HCBailly, playing Final Fantasy 3/6

"SURPRISE FISH!" - Deceased Crab

"Whoa, dude! Want some pizza with your brain arms?" Retsupurae, on Quadraxis14's LP of Contra 3

"How rude!" HCBailly, playing Secret of Mana.

+Quote Post
Post #1731
TedioreSplitz

The Apprentice to the Master of Metal

Member No.: 824

post Jan 28 2014, 08:45 PM
I cannot acknowledge anyone who associates themselves with these kinds of people who have free will to go and insult people like the way that they do. I mean come on, they just died/lost a loved one. What the fuck is your problem?

--------------------
You only need to Click once, Fool.

+Quote Post
Post #1732
TheLameGamer

President Lincoln's Elite

Member No.: 908

post Jan 28 2014, 09:54 PM
Just when I thought TVTropes couldn't get any worse...

I think the last thing JW's wife needs to hear while she's being consoled for her tragic loss is how much some asshole, with no understanding of how depression actually affects people, hates her husband.

Fuck TVTropes. Fuck it in the mouth. Fuck it in the ass. Fuck it with a 12 foot pole.

This post has been edited by TheLameGamer: Jan 28 2014, 09:57 PM

--------------------
"Yes Daphne!" battlecries Frad, "Now go, and suck these balls till they bleed the glory of AMERICA!!!!!" - ComicsNix, Scooby Doo and the Trip of Lust
+Quote Post
Post #1733
Matthew Garcia91390123

Harder, Deader, Faster, Stronger

Member No.: 790

post Jan 30 2014, 04:03 PM
Fallout: Equestria now has it's own Nightmare Fuel page, and yes, it's bigger than the one's for works of fiction that are legitimately scary (assuming they had a page to begin with).

--------------------
QUOTE (Shmeckie @ Dec 24 2014, 07:01 AM) *
what is it like being the black chris chan?

if you two combine will you turn into a glowing yin yang symbol that morphs into a giant chinese dragon with no social skills?

QUOTE (Master of AFTER @ Sep 16 2015, 01:56 AM) *
Don't you get it? If we take all the physically attractive fictional characters and make them hideous, society might lower its standards of beauty enough that all the basement-dwelling human blobs with bad skin will be able to leave their parents' houses without everyone shrieking in terror as they race to the nearest church to repent for their sins.

QUOTE (truthordeal @ Feb 1 2016, 02:39 PM) *
What do Monty Oum and the Fine Bros have in common?

Their downfalls were brought about by a bad reaction.
+Quote Post
Post #1734
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

post Jan 30 2014, 04:19 PM
QUOTE (Matthew Garcia91390123 @ Jan 30 2014, 04:03 PM) *
Fallout: Equestria now has it's own Nightmare Fuel page, and yes, it's bigger than the one's for works of fiction that are legitimately scary (assuming they had a page to begin with).

I think it already had one, but thanks.

--------------------
daddy longleg spiders are scary as they're one of the most poisonous spiders so not much of an over reaction.

+Quote Post
Post #1735
Bonglorio

post Jan 30 2014, 04:39 PM
Hey guys!!! You know how people have said that the TV Tropes forum does not have a quote or reply function for individual posts?

Here's the reason why from Fast Eddie himself:

Why We Will Never Have a Quote Button

You guys will have to recall that I've given these reasons many, many times. Here they are again.

1) It's a crappy method of discourse because you can just address the person you are talking to and/or refer back to the post containing the material you are quoting.
How to do that? Here are some options:

Hover your mouse pointer over the dateline on this post. See? It's a link to the post.
Use the post number. "Re post #4123: While it may be true that ... " works well.
Just talk to that human being out there. "Unfortunately, Fast Eddie, we have no access here to whatever supercrack you are smoking ..."

2) If you make it easy, you will see people quoting the post directly above because they have developed a habit of always bashing the quote button when they want to reply. This adds visual clutter and is annoying.

3) A post containing a bunch of quotes each followed by a reply is like the International Symbol for "trolling in progress." Trolls deserve all the extra work we can make for them.

4) It very pointedly ignores all the posts between the quoted material and the reply. This jerks the flow of the conversation backwards and or fractures the conversation, causing there to be multiple 'threads' within the conversation. Confusing, and somebody is bound to be shorted.

5) Quote buttons suck, I don't like them, and since I'm the one who would have to build them for free, they're fucked.

"Yeah, fuck quote buttons. My method of making every poster look up the post number, type that out, and then reply is much, much more efficient and user friendly."

This man is a programmer.

People pay him money to program things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #1736
Al_Cone

That's right, Susan!
Group Icon

post Jan 30 2014, 04:42 PM
3) A post containing a bunch of quotes each followed by a reply is like the International Symbol for "trolling in progress." Trolls deserve all the extra work we can make for them.

Sometimes, I wonder just how deep the rabbit hole goes for Eddie and his paranoid fear of trolls.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #1737
KingMan

Dedicated Member

Member No.: 745

post Jan 30 2014, 04:46 PM
Not surprisingly, Fast Eddie is too stupid to learn that actual trolls probably won't give a shit if there's no quote button.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #1738
SeinenNinja

Macross Delta. Slightly Disappointed.
Group Icon

Group: AFTERholics
From: In the shadows of the forum, planning your demise...
Member No.: 722

post Jan 30 2014, 04:50 PM
This sounds like less Fast Eddie trouncing the trolls and more Fast Eddie is just too lazy to program a quote button.
+Quote Post
Post #1739
Trollblade74

Tourist
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,033

post Jan 30 2014, 06:08 PM
My offense to TVTropes is:

1: The forums actively gang up and delete any negative posts on the forums,
2: You can get posts deleted just for being witty in forum games,
3: Mods will suspend just for merely having an opinion on gamebreakers,
4: They deleted Ghetsis from Complete Monster because he was from the saccharine cuteness that is Pokémon, and
5: I got banned for criticizing the trailer for No Man's Sky.

*sigh* I haven't seen a forum this

This post has been edited by Trollblade74: Jan 30 2014, 06:11 PM

--------------------
*uncreative signature*
+Quote Post
Post #1740
Geth N7

Regular

post Jan 30 2014, 09:28 PM
As for Fast Eddie not programming a quote button, his reasoning for it is terrible at best, especially since trolls have learned much more creative ways to mess with people on his site aside from using quote buttons. Honestly, I think he's just lazy and can't be bothered to add one more lousy hack to his spit and pencil PmWiki custom code.

As for their forums being a hideous den of scum and villainy, there is a very good reason we at All The Tropes avoided having a full blown forum (we have a small one for tech issues, but that's all): We know it was the circlejerking tail wagging the dog at TV Tropes, and we had no desire to mimic that sort of stupidity.

If anything, I'm convinced the TVT forums are a large part of why the wiki went to shit.

This post has been edited by Geth N7: Jan 30 2014, 09:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

111 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 89 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 04:33 PM