Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "We Watch MLP" Thread
Post #2401
LordYAM

Group: Members
Member No.: 444

post Oct 20 2014, 01:13 PM
QUOTE (Maniak @ Oct 20 2014, 12:44 PM) *
edit: while McCarthy is still on, someone else is actually at the scriptwriting involved. the information I saw earlier has changed. but I dont know who the fuck that guy is supposed to be

I think Season 5 should be the last season; Twilight has ascended to being a princess, Discord has been reformed fully. Many of the arcs have been tied up pretty well.

As I mentioned earlier Joshscorcher actually had a list of two parter cliches.

a.) Sappy musical number
b.) Unsympathetically portrayed villain
c.) Something from a thousand years ago resurfaces
d.) celestia delegates to twilight
e.) Twilight tries to do a thing without her friends
f.) Guards are useless in a crisis
g.) Royalty is useless in a crisis
h.) villain not killing when they have a chance
i.) deus ex machina solution
j.) End with a crappy pop song

Twilight's kingdom actually worked well (Tirek was a clever antagonist even when weakened, The deus ex machine had been built up over the season and was thus more forgivable) but they need variety. Certain villains like Grogar and the guy from the first movie back in the 80s could be two parter villains (hell a lot of people are already suspecting Grogar will be the season premier big bad). However unless they change gears (revival dr who took on a different approach when moffat took over and despite a few bumpy spots his tenure is well liked for the most part) I'd be worried.

Chuck Sonnenberg of sci fi debris actually made an interesting point; the reason the first two seasons of voyager were even more awful than the rest of the show was because it was still essentially a continuation of TNG in many ways even if the cast was different. Unfortunately, TNG had started to suck by that point. Voyager only started to get better when they fully moved away from the TNG continuation mindset and started fresh. Or take the final season of the DCAU; it was okay but after the epic roller coaster that was the cadmus arc it was just impossible to write something as good.

What we have coming down the pike so far seems.....mixed.

1.) Twilight dealing with the destruction of the golden oak library; this could work. The library was a pretty big set piece for 4 seasons. It's loss would be a pretty big deal for the cast since it has memories (the friendship began there for instance)

2.) The Entire Pie Family: Maud pie was great, and we don't know a lot about her folks; I'm cautiously optimistic

3.) 100th episode focusing on background characters: this just smacks of fan pandering.

4.) Princess Luna having a nightmare; don't know what to think.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2402
TheOneAndOnly

Chaos izza laddah with a daggah, slaggah

Member No.: 803

post Oct 21 2014, 10:38 AM
QUOTE (Maniak @ Oct 20 2014, 10:53 AM) *
I am just saying, in my opinion no animated show on the entire planet should have a lifetime of more than four years.

I can understand why many others would share this viewpoint, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Yes, four years is pushing it, but it really depends on the writing team. I mean, 'The Simpsons' was great for it's first nine, debatably ten (I liked S10), years. And from what I've heard 'South Park' is still kicking strong even after fourteen years. But the secret behind these two examples is the fact that the writers never went AWOL, at least for 'South Park'. That, and Parker and Stone always have material to work with since the show always makes fun of trends going on at the moment.

However, one can judge when a show has hit its high point and should call it quits, before it grows stale and runs out of ideas. And sadly, in MLP's case, its high point was as early as season 2.

--------------------
Fuck this, I'm having fun.

"Never poke fun at fatty fetishists unless you're willing to individually slap down 300 sweaty balls of sexual frustration and heart disease. Trust me, I used to spend a lot of time on Deviant Art."

"We were in a fight," Matt says, "and it's fairly close; no more than 50 to 75 meters between all of us. And while the rounds are flying, a donkey -- I kid you not -- a fucking donkey runs into the middle of the firefight and takes a RPG [i.e., gets exploded by a rocket]. And everybody stops. Everybody -- us and the Taliban. Everyone went, 'Huh?' and looked at each other, then back at the donkey, and then started shooting again. But there was a good three seconds where everything stopped."
+Quote Post
Post #2403
LordYAM

Member No.: 444

post Oct 21 2014, 11:11 AM
QUOTE (TheOneAndOnly @ Oct 21 2014, 11:38 AM) *
I can understand why many others would share this viewpoint, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Yes, four years is pushing it, but it really depends on the writing team. I mean, 'The Simpsons' was great for it's first nine, debatably ten (I liked S10), years. And from what I've heard 'South Park' is still kicking strong even after fourteen years. But the secret behind these two examples is the fact that the writers never went AWOL, at least for 'South Park'. That, and Parker and Stone always have material to work with since the show always makes fun of trends going on at the moment.

However, one can judge when a show has hit its high point and should call it quits, before it grows stale and runs out of ideas. And sadly, in MLP's case, its high point was as early as season 2.

One reviewer Valkyr studios actually pointed out that the writing improved AFTER Lauren Faust left the show; Faust isn't a bad writer but she's clunky and doesn't get subtlety.

And I will say that Season 4 had a lot of good episodes (Twilight's kingdom is the best two parter hands down). It's up there in terms of quality compared to the rest of the show. Hell even Rainbow rocks managed to be entertaining, not least because the villains were competent, Sunset Shimmer was fleshed out in a believable way and the musical numbers weren't half bad.
+Quote Post
Post #2404
Al_Cone

Where we're going, we don't need nanomachines
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Oct 22 2014, 09:48 AM
I hope they adapt my screenplay for the MLP movie. That, or Jordan White's. I really want to hear his lispy voice asking Twilight Sparkle to be his wuvver.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2405
KingMan

Extreme Member

Member No.: 745

post Nov 17 2014, 11:40 PM

Setting aside the fact on whether or not you like Kill La Kill or hate its guts, why are they here? Well, other than pointless nerd fanservice.

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2406
Delfage

Member No.: 1,387

post Nov 18 2014, 01:19 AM
Do the comics even have a demographic? From how many trope shoehorns it boasts when I stupidly skimmed the MLP page half a year ago, it seems like it's trying to become the Star Wars EU.

(Goddammit why did I reference Star Wars twice in a row now everyone's going to think I'm a fanboy...)
+Quote Post
Post #2407
KingMan

Extreme Member

Member No.: 745

post Nov 22 2014, 02:47 PM
Read issue #25. I can't help but wonder if the writers are making Twilight to be like Vash from Trigun, in not wanting to abuse her powers. What the writers failed to realize is that while Vash wanted to restrain himself, at least he wasn't dense enough to just sit there with his thumb up his ass and do nothing to help.

Well, okay, at least Twilight help put out the fire, but that was about it. Also, it's been awhile since I looked into Trigun, so I'm not sure if my comparison is accurate.

EDIT: Okay, Twilight did come up with the initial syrup plan, so she wasn't totally useless. This chapter wasn't that bad, I just don't know what to think. Maybe I'm just bitching for the sake of it.

This post has been edited by KingMan: Nov 22 2014, 02:56 PM

--------------------

"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie
"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2408
Bonglorio

Champion Member

Member No.: 647

post Nov 23 2014, 06:01 AM
QUOTE (TheOneAndOnly @ Oct 21 2014, 10:38 AM) *

I honestly disagree harshly with Maniak's sentiment in that it's idiotic magical thinking. Only someone who doesn't know anything about how a television series is written and produced would honestly believe that.

It doesn't address the root cause of animated shows turning to a load of ass (Writer departure, The creators getting up their own asses, corporate executive meddling) and insteads thinks the solution is an arbitrary, inflexible cap on series longevity.

I can think of lots of animated shows that kept being good well after season 4 like King of The Hill, South Park, Rocky and Bullwinkle,Beavis and Butthead and the Simpsons, the poster child for series stagnation only started dropping in quality around Season 9 and 10.

A sensible opinion would be that a show should end after its original writing staff departs.

Or that only animated shows for children should last 4 seasons, since I doubt he has ever even seen Beavis and Butthead or King of the Hill.

Because all Maniak seems to watch enough to know about and opine on are shows for little kids.

--------------------
[9:09:06 PM] Soren Highwind: Please don't make me a dick cannibal shane.

[11:45:16 PM] Scream: i have become one with the slug
+Quote Post
Post #2409
Master of AFTER

What, me worry!?
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

post Nov 23 2014, 06:33 AM
QUOTE (Bonglorio @ Nov 23 2014, 06:01 AM) *
A sensible opinion would be that a show should end after its original writing staff departs.

Attached Image

Shit, look out everybody! It's the Opinion Police! Throw your personal views in the bushes and book it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Post #2410
T_K_17

#oh it's JUST tk

Member No.: 192

post Nov 26 2014, 12:04 PM
Those who want to get into the comics but haven't yet; you now have a good place to start.

--------------------

Mocks:
1. Digiball Z - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 (f)
2. Saiyaman (f)
3. Saiyaman 2 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
4. Teen Titans vs Project AFTER - 2 3 (f)
5. Desires Unspoken - Deluxe Special Edition (f)
6. TK versus Birdboy | Fandom | Empire - Part 1
7. Garden of EVA - Sucks Everybody! (f)
8. What is War? - 1 2
9. My Little Unicorn: Star Fleet Magic - 1 2
+Quote Post

121 Pages V  « < 119 120 121
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 03:15 AM