> The "We Watch MLP" Thread
Post #2401
LordYAM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 444

post Oct 20 2014, 01:13 PM
QUOTE (Maniak @ Oct 20 2014, 12:44 PM) *
edit: while McCarthy is still on, someone else is actually at the scriptwriting involved. the information I saw earlier has changed. but I dont know who the fuck that guy is supposed to be

I think Season 5 should be the last season; Twilight has ascended to being a princess, Discord has been reformed fully. Many of the arcs have been tied up pretty well.

As I mentioned earlier Joshscorcher actually had a list of two parter cliches.

a.) Sappy musical number
b.) Unsympathetically portrayed villain
c.) Something from a thousand years ago resurfaces
d.) celestia delegates to twilight
e.) Twilight tries to do a thing without her friends
f.) Guards are useless in a crisis
g.) Royalty is useless in a crisis
h.) villain not killing when they have a chance
i.) deus ex machina solution
j.) End with a crappy pop song

Twilight's kingdom actually worked well (Tirek was a clever antagonist even when weakened, The deus ex machine had been built up over the season and was thus more forgivable) but they need variety. Certain villains like Grogar and the guy from the first movie back in the 80s could be two parter villains (hell a lot of people are already suspecting Grogar will be the season premier big bad). However unless they change gears (revival dr who took on a different approach when moffat took over and despite a few bumpy spots his tenure is well liked for the most part) I'd be worried.

Chuck Sonnenberg of sci fi debris actually made an interesting point; the reason the first two seasons of voyager were even more awful than the rest of the show was because it was still essentially a continuation of TNG in many ways even if the cast was different. Unfortunately, TNG had started to suck by that point. Voyager only started to get better when they fully moved away from the TNG continuation mindset and started fresh. Or take the final season of the DCAU; it was okay but after the epic roller coaster that was the cadmus arc it was just impossible to write something as good.

What we have coming down the pike so far seems.....mixed.

1.) Twilight dealing with the destruction of the golden oak library; this could work. The library was a pretty big set piece for 4 seasons. It's loss would be a pretty big deal for the cast since it has memories (the friendship began there for instance)

2.) The Entire Pie Family: Maud pie was great, and we don't know a lot about her folks; I'm cautiously optimistic

3.) 100th episode focusing on background characters: this just smacks of fan pandering.

4.) Princess Luna having a nightmare; don't know what to think.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

121 Pages V  « < 119 120 121
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: MelonHead

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 04:31 PM