Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "We Watch MLP" Thread
Post #2221
TheLameGamer

Unikitty is Best Princess

Group: Members
Member No.: 908

post Apr 10 2014, 03:04 PM
At this point, the main problem with the series is that Twilight Sparkle's too perfect. She's already gone through her arcs, and now she doesn't have any flaws that make her relatable as a character (No being a nerd doesn't count as a flaw). Everyone praises her for how great she is, she's constantly the one everyone looks up to, and the one who solves all the big problems.

Imagine if in Avatar: The Last Airbender, about 40% of the way through the series Aang had mastered every element and become wise beyond his years. That's pretty much the problem here, the main character has become too flawless to carry the series.

This didn't happen because she became a princess, so that's not an excuse either. It's solely the fault of shitty writing, since it's very possible to write a "royal/princess" character with flaws...

Tetra (Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time with Finn & Jake)
Princess Unikitty (The Lego Movie)
Lissa (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Wonder Woman (DC Universe)
Palutena (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

Just a few examples.

This post has been edited by TheLameGamer: Apr 10 2014, 03:38 PM

--------------------
"Yes Daphne!" battlecries Frad, "Now go, and suck these balls till they bleed the glory of AMERICA!!!!!" - ComicsNix, Scooby Doo and the Trip of Lust
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Post #2222
Al_Cone

Where we're going, we don't need nanomachines
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Apr 10 2014, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (TheLameGamer @ Apr 10 2014, 04:04 PM) *
At this point, the main problem with the series is that Twilight Sparkle's too perfect. She's already gone through her arcs, and now she doesn't have any flaws that make her relatable as a character (No being a nerd doesn't count as a flaw). Everyone praises her for how great she is, she's constantly the one everyone looks up to, and the one who solves all the big problems.

Imagine if in Avatar: The Last Airbender, about 40% of the way through the series Aang had mastered every element and become wise beyond his years. That's pretty much the problem here, the main character has become too flawless to carry the series.

This didn't happen because she became a princess, so that's not an excuse either. It's solely the fault of shitty writing, since it's very possible to write a "royal/princess" character with flaws...

Tetra (Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time with Finn & Jake)
Princess Unikitty (The Lego Movie)
Lissa (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Wonder Woman (DC Universe)
Palutena (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

Just a few examples.

Also, Tara Strong's acting has gotten blander and blander as the years have gone on. Is she just bored with the character, or does she not think she has to try so hard anymore?

She can definitely act, so I don't know what her deal is...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2223
KingMan

Hyper Member

Member No.: 745

post Apr 10 2014, 05:05 PM
QUOTE (Al_Cone @ Apr 10 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Also, Tara Strong's acting has gotten blander and blander as the years have gone on. Is she just bored with the character, or does she not think she has to try so hard anymore?

She can definitely act, so I don't know what her deal is...

I wouldn't be surprised. If that's the case, I almost liken it to Sean Connery's last two James Bond movies (You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever), where he got so bored with the role, he was basically on autopilot throughout the bulk of those movies.

--------------------
"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie

"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2224
TheLameGamer

Unikitty is Best Princess

Member No.: 908

post Apr 10 2014, 06:44 PM
There actually might be a reason behind that. The vast majority of MLP VA's are Canadian and record their lines in the same studio, while Tara Strong records hers separately in the U.S.

Although, I definitely buy the theory that she may not be as into it anymore too.

This post has been edited by TheLameGamer: Apr 10 2014, 06:50 PM

--------------------
"Yes Daphne!" battlecries Frad, "Now go, and suck these balls till they bleed the glory of AMERICA!!!!!" - ComicsNix, Scooby Doo and the Trip of Lust
+Quote Post
Post #2225
TedioreSplitz

The Apprentice to the Master of Metal

Member No.: 824

post Apr 10 2014, 07:09 PM
Would it be wrong to consider the whole staff(Writers, Artists, Directors, The whole Enchilada) to take a year or two off? I mean, After a few episodes this season it just seems like all they want to do is get it over with and move on. I'm just saying, there's enough Stuff on Youtube and all of the sites that shall not be mentioned, plus every season that's out right now can be re-aired to give them all a break to hold the hordes off until they get re-charged for more(Though it would be a horrible idea too and should be killed immediately at the same time.) I dunno, maybe I'm just wishing for too much.

--------------------
You only need to Click once, Fool.

+Quote Post
Post #2226
TheOneAndOnly

He's too beautiful!

Member No.: 803

post Apr 10 2014, 08:13 PM
QUOTE (Dejablue @ Apr 9 2014, 03:24 PM) *
You guys are acting like this is Pinkie Pie at her worst. You should all know better.

As someone who once really enjoyed her character (yes), I can say that this is definitely not her worst. It was just a fabulously stupid moment, regardless of the character.

And concerning the show's quality, I don't think it would be a bad idea for the staff to take a rest. L.G. is right; they could make a "royalty" character interesting, but they're just not trying, like, at all. There's so many basic stories they could've done with her but didn't because, y'know, bat ponies and comic book references (not that I mind that stuff, though I wish they were done better).

I feel that they should have just kept Twilight's arc going until a series finale.

--------------------
The one and only...
+Quote Post
Post #2227
Dejablue

An apparent liker of bad things

Member No.: 716

post Apr 10 2014, 08:46 PM
If I could say I hated anyone in this show it would be Pinkie. Yet I loved those few seconds of crappy rap madness. Ah well. I won't say it wasn't stupid. But I liked it none the less.

At this point I think it's kind of impossible to make Twilight interesting by focusing on the aspect of royalty. She became a princess and not too many ponies cared after the big parade. In ponyville and Manehattan, she's seen as just a regular pony. Honestly does the show even have the depth or infrastructure to make Twilight anything more than a nerdy librarian? I don't think so. Never thought it did.
(I don't read the comics so there may be something there that could help) She's the princess of nothing until another kingdom springs up out of the rocks like the Crystal Empire did. Or they finish renovating that old castle in the EverFree.

It's kind of dumb that only those six ponies are doing all of that work. I mean wow really, no other ponies were tasked with the job of renovating an entire castle? I'm sure that's more work than just six ponies can handle. But it doesn't matter, we all already know what this finale is leading up to.

UGLY TOYS!!

This post has been edited by Dejablue: Apr 10 2014, 08:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2228
KingMan

Hyper Member

Member No.: 745

post Apr 10 2014, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (Dejablue @ Apr 10 2014, 08:46 PM) *
...we all already know what this finale is leading up to.

UGLY TOYS!!

I hate to add more piss to the coke, but, by this point, this shouldn't be too surprising, given that this is a toy company. In terms of quality storytelling, they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot with the last two season finales (assuming this one ends like the leak claims it will) and will probably continue to do so.

Then again, that's just me.

--------------------
"Why are you TRYING to be aroused?! Is this a Speed-type situation?! Is there a bomb strapped to your dick that'll explode if you get flaccid?" - Shmeckie

"Do what thou wilt, just don't expect others to like your sorry ass."

Current mocks:
Handle With Care
+Quote Post
Post #2229
eldomtom2

Member No.: 889

post Apr 11 2014, 07:29 AM
QUOTE (KingMan @ Apr 11 2014, 05:07 AM) *
I hate to add more piss to the coke, but, by this point, this shouldn't be too surprising, given that this is a toy company. In terms of quality storytelling, they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot with the last two season finales (assuming this one ends like the leak claims it will) and will probably continue to do so.

Then again, that's just me.

Which leak are we talking about here?
+Quote Post
Post #2230
Dashguy

Hyper Member

Member No.: 712

post Apr 11 2014, 07:43 AM
QUOTE (eldomtom2 @ Apr 11 2014, 12:29 PM) *

Here.
+Quote Post
Post #2231
Maniak

I will mock all the fanfics in the TRI STATE AREA!!!

Member No.: 345

post Apr 11 2014, 07:44 AM
QUOTE (eldomtom2 @ Apr 11 2014, 05:29 PM) *

some random guy posted something on 4chan, but seeing how the title of the two parter is called "Twilight`s Kingdom" and the entire Rainbow Power thing is a give away, no one would be surprised if the "leak" that says there is a new villain and Discord plays along with him for a bit is not true.

As for the show, as a lot of others here say, the way they handle Twilight is just bad.
I think they could have actually made the entire "Twilight becomes an alicorn" thing work as a concept, if it would have been something for the overall finale of the series. You know, the student who thanks to her actions has proven to be responsible enough to take on such a title. Heck, throw in an explanation of what that now means for Twi and others as well as a bit of history about what alicorns really are and you could make a decent enough series finale out of it. Unfortunately, no one at Hasbro and the writing staff of the show thinks further than to the end of the season it seems.

what happened that it failed as hard as it did so far is IMO the following:
No one working on it thought the show would become as popular as it did, they all thought season 3 was the ending (65 episodes as a whole with the last episode of that season) and Hasbro wanted the princess toys out. So they followed orders, M.A. Larson did a piss poor job at the script for the s3 finale and at the time they got told a fourth season was going to be they were too lazy to rewrite everything, so they wrote the s4 opener like a sort of damage control, thinking no one will question why Twilight, although now a princess, still lives in Ponyville like your next door neighbor.
Same thing kinda happening for s4, although they wrote this rainbow key arc for it and god knows how s5 will play out.

Personally, I just think the steam is out of the show and the people watching it since the s2 finale. s2 was the peak of the fandom and the show writers, s3 was weak and s4... it has its merrits but there has been a lot of stuff I consider "meh".

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

Alles was entsteht, ist wert das es zugrunde geht.
+Quote Post
Post #2232
Dejablue

post Apr 11 2014, 09:42 AM
To be honest Cadence was Twilight's baby sitter. I'd like to know the history/origin behind that. Not the fact that she was a babysitter, but the fact that she was already an Alicorn.

If this show got released to dvd or anything I'd probably edit that scene so that she was simply a unicorn. She'd have to be in order to keep her love powers intact. Lauren apparently said she had no say in the matter, but it wasn't in her plans that Cadence ever be an alicorn.

Executive Meddling ruins everything.

The fact that Twilight is a princess and yet nobody in the show seems to give a crap, creates quite a dissonance.

We're told Twilight is a princess. Yet what we see is the contrary. I don't care what kind of happy utopia of equality Equestria is supposed to be. If she's worthy of what's apparently the highest possible title in the land, my human brain would surmise that Twilight should be treated as a princess. And not like in that horrible Twilight Time episode, or the season opening, where ponies only recognized her title when it was plot convenient.

I know this is a show for children. I wonder, if we were able to ask the target audience how they felt about this, would they even care?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2233
TheOneAndOnly

He's too beautiful!

Member No.: 803

post Apr 11 2014, 10:47 AM
QUOTE (Dejablue @ Apr 11 2014, 10:42 AM) *
I wonder, if we were able to ask the target audience how they felt about this, would they even care?

Probably not, and then would promptly go back to shoving their Applejack figurine down their gullets.

This post has been edited by TheOneAndOnly: Apr 11 2014, 10:48 AM

--------------------
The one and only...
+Quote Post
Post #2234
Dashguy

Hyper Member

post Apr 11 2014, 11:40 AM
QUOTE (Dejablue @ Apr 11 2014, 02:42 PM) *
To be honest Cadence was Twilight's baby sitter. I'd like to know the history/origin behind that. Not the fact that she was a babysitter, but the fact that she was already an Alicorn.

Apparently, her backstory is explained in one of the books.

Personally, it's not the fact she's an Alicorn what bothers me but that she's so damn boring.

+Quote Post
Post #2235
Al_Cone

Where we're going, we don't need nanomachines
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 162

post Apr 11 2014, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (Dashguy @ Apr 11 2014, 12:40 PM) *
Apparently, her backstory is explained in one of the books.

Personally, it's not the fact she's an Alicorn what bothers me but that she's so damn boring.

I think there's a law in Equestria that alicorns must be dull as dishwater at all times. You've read Past Sins; you should know this from looking at Nyx.

Explains a lot about Twilight's characterization post season 3.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2236
Dejablue

post Apr 12 2014, 01:02 PM
Now that Twilight's a princess she isn't allowed to "be a bitch" anymore. What I mean is, she can't have any more noticeable flaws. Meanwhile everyone elses issues are still die hard. Especially for Fluttershy.

Though in the last episode she did get snippy with Rainbow Dash (like , woah, shots fired) so she isn't as dull as drying paint yet.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Post #2237
The Gravity Breaker

Member No.: 812

post Apr 12 2014, 01:21 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has seen these. They are shorts about Rainbow Rocks, lasting about three minutes each. I don't think any of these are actually going to be in the movie, it's just suppose to build up 'hype'. Seems to be working as most of the fanbase seems to have liked them...

Here's the first one

There are three up right now and I think they are added weekly every friday and there's going to be eight of them. The three that have been released have been...decent. Don't really know what else to say about them.

--------------------

I just want a hug. Is that so wrong?
+Quote Post
Post #2238
Maniak

post Apr 12 2014, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (The Gravity Breaker @ Apr 12 2014, 11:21 PM) *
The three that have been released have been...decent. Don't really know what else to say about them.

I wonder on what plane of reality yu are where people have complimented that shit. Seriously, I know no one who likes that

--------------------
It ain`t no mystery, if it`s politics or history; the thing you gotta know is, everything is showbiz

+Quote Post
Post #2239
Dashguy

Hyper Member

post Apr 14 2014, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Al_Cone @ Apr 11 2014, 05:31 PM) *
I think there's a law in Equestria that alicorns must be dull as dishwater at all times. You've read Past Sins; you should know this from looking at Nyx.

Explains a lot about Twilight's characterization post season 3.

The worst part it that it doesn't necessarily have to be like that. I mean, Luna is quite quirky, to the point her micro issue is one of only decent two. And Celestia is written in a way that makes you want to know more about her, with her mysterious past and the way she sometimes seems to be manipulating certain events in her favor.

I wonder on what plane of reality yu are where people have complimented that shit. Seriously, I know no one who likes that

Dunno, the dancing cop was mildly funny.
+Quote Post
Post #2240
Maniak

post Apr 14 2014, 08:13 PM
QUOTE (Dashguy @ Apr 15 2014, 01:44 AM) *
The worst part it that it doesn't necessarily have to be like that. I mean, Luna is quite quirky, to the point her micro issue is one of only decent two.

Then again, one is the comic, the other is the show. And to be honest, I think the comics themselves are pretty lose here and there in what they write. Like they are not writen by people involved with the show and more by fans of the show. Explains at least the shitty amount of references that are pointless here and there and why the characters tend to have more interpretetive personalities if you get my drift.

As for making Twilight more interesting, I agree on that one. But I think the proble started even before she turned into an alicorn. At least starting with s3 I thought her barely involved in any of the plots, combined with only concentrating on her studies at best became more and more her only trait (before that it was also the direct interaction with others) and when she became an alicorn, it was the fault of just not giving focus on her new status except the plot demands it for some episode.

--------------------

+Quote Post

112 Pages V  « < 110 111 112
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:19 PM